Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recognise this plant?

• 22-07-2013 12:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

I have these growing all over my garden and are starting to do my head in. For every one I pull up two more grow. It has small fine spikes all down its stem and has an orangy red tinge off it aswell.

Any idea??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

looks a bit like a wild rose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Do you have any climbing roses in your garden? I have about 4 similar plants growing at the base of my climber.

Why not pull up a couple of these and plant them in pots and see how they get on? Even if you don't want any climbers they could make a nice gift next year.

I have a black currant bush in my front garden, and a couple of weeks ago I discovered a few small seedlings in my cobble lock driveway which look like black currant seedlings. They're in pots in my greenhouse. FREE plants! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭tara m

It's a Briar rose or sweet briar (Rosa rubiginosa) it's very pretty but if it's in the wrong place for you, just use a systemic weedkiller on it - pulling it up will only make more plants as it propagates happily from roots - or as mentioned dig up and pot on, then plant it somewhere you'd like it in the autumn for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Thanks. Its literally everywhere though (a problem I inherited when I bought the house). It comes up through the grass everywhere and even had one coming up through the patio and garden shed. I fear weed killer is not a n option anymore as its too wide spread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭tara m

Something like Roundup which is systemic, and only kills what you spray will work well, it travels through the plant back to the roots and kills from root to tip from below - you might have to squirt every single sprout (or sucker, as they're called) you can find, maybe twice, a week or so apart. Roundup works best early on the plants growth cycle, while the sap is rising fast it's vascular system. Whatever you do dont just cut it back, it will re-sucker more powerfully than before!

Also when you first spray, the suckers will prob look really healthy all of a sudden - this is the weedkiller doing it's job...

I see a product on sale here in country shops called Gallup, which by all accounts could knock the Aga Khan back, but it will kill everything i.e. not a systemic weedkiller. A last resort maybe?

• Advertisement
Advertisement