Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Face Book Reach

Options
  • 22-07-2013 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Can some one confirm my impression that, when I post an original post on facebook its shown to a much wider audience than a reposted one.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

I don't get you? Do you mean if you repost somebody elses status, or a "like page's" status. It'd depend on the privacy settings of the profile you're reposting from?

Sorry if this isn't what you mean but I don't think your question is too clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

nmccann wrote: »
    Can some one confirm my impression that, when I post an original post on facebook its shown to a much wider audience than a reposted one.

Thank you in advance

Are you talking about a Facebook page or a regular Facebook user?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 nmccann

We have a business facebook page for thewoolshop.ie. Where I create an original post it reaches 100s of people. If I share a post from another site it has a reach in the 10s of people.

Which leaves me to draw two conclusions and only one is true

1 My original posts are amazing and far better than any post I share ( I'm Just not that good)

2 Shared posts are not shown to all the people who like the our page.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

Where I create an original post it reaches 100s of people. If I share a post from another site it has a reach in the 10s of people.
    I'd love to believe the idea that truly original content being 'shared' for the first time gets a boost in the edgerank system (the algorithm FB uses to decide where and what to place in peoples timelines), but I've never seen it suggested and my own experience of seeing what shows in my news feed (without some serious fighting with the settings) wouldn't suggest it to be the case.

The only commonly asserted/obvious gain that genuinely unique content would gain is that it's 'new'. By the time shared content starts to get spread around it's already starting to age (Google something like "half life of a facebook post" for some interesting reading on that kind of thing), so gets hurt in the edgerank figures there... but it's also starting to build more and more 'edges', so gains on that side of the fence.
    2 Shared posts are not shown to all the people who like the our page.
    This is true. However, it's equally true that "new posts are not shown to all the people who like the page" too, so I wouldn't suggest it can only be one of those which is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 vincychan

On FB, it all depends on your privacy settings. Whatever you share will reach all your friends unless they dont unsubscribe from your updates.

It will also be available to all those visiting your page based on your settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 nmccann

Thank you for all your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 RobGJ

From my experience of sharing posts from other pages on managed business pages it is hard to gauge a definite trend - not very useful I know but..it's kind of the way it is.

One thing I have noticed recently though is some posts only having a reach of in and around the 10 mark like you mentioned. These major deviations from the average reach had me scratching my head. But, if memory serves, Facebook had some glitch in their stat reporting about 6 months back I think..When they discovered it they sorted it out and issued a statement about it. So, it could be another glitch of some kind maybe? Anybody else notice anything similar?

Advertisement