Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applyling for non - teaching jobs

• 22-07-2013 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

So, I'm spending the summer like many others job hunting. I am applying for non- teaching jobs ( but still related to my field of study) alongside teaching positions.

I can't decide whether to state that I am a teacher in the non -teaching applications in case this works against me. Are employers wary of hiring teachers ( or those who trained as teachers) in case they think I'll leave for a teaching job??

I'm trying to keep all options open, I had very little luck this year with jobs and I only have one teachable subject, so trying to be realistic about September.

Any one heard of or had experience of what I outlined above?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I think it definitely can go against you. But how else would you explain the gaps in your CV while you were training and teaching? I think that will go against you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Yeah, it's really hard to know what to put down. If I leave out teacher training and last year's work it looks like I did nothing for two years.

So frustrating, I feel like I've really limited myself in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

I might go against you, but I wouldn't omit it from your CV. Maybe mention in cover letters of non-teaching job applications that you have realised that teaching is not the career for you etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

boogle wrote: »
    I might go against you, but I wouldn't omit it from your CV. Maybe mention in cover letters of non-teaching job applications that you have realised that teaching is not the career for you etc etc.
    I wouldn't say you should say that teaching isn't for you. Makes you sound a bit flakey. I'd go with saying that you're looking for more job security rather than depending on subbing to make a living wage in teaching. In the interview you might mention how Haddington will pretty much do away with subbing for part time teachers too, might get some people in the private sector on our side (or at least closer to the fence).

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

RealJohn wrote: »
    I wouldn't say you should say that teaching isn't for you. Makes you sound a bit flakey. I'd go with saying that you're looking for more job security rather than depending on subbing to make a living wage in teaching. In the interview you might mention how Haddington will pretty much do away with subbing for part time teachers too, might get some people in the private sector on our side (or at least closer to the fence).

I know what you mean, I suppose it does sound flakey. I've been in this situation and I'd worry that, giving your reason, an employer wouldn't be totally reassured that you won't jump ship if a teaching opportunity comes along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Thanks RealJohn, Worse still, I'm filling out an application form with very little room to explain things. I'll send a cover letter too maybe. I just don't know if I can handle the insecurity ( and disappointment) again this year. I need to earn a living and feel like I'm progressing - this year felt very stagnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DeeDee89

I think just be honest and if you are called for interview, say that you are happy to take any type of job as long as it is full time and that if you were called for a teaching job you wouldn't consider it unless it was full time- and that is highly unlikely at the moment!

Advertisement