Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank's policy on lodging cash at counter?

Options
  • 22-07-2013 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

I wanted to lodge some (cash) money to my current account today.  When I entered the bank, there was someone using the ATM machine and no one queueing at the counter.  After I recovered from the shock of no queue, I tried to lodge my money via the teller (as the ATM was being used).

He refused to allow me to lodge my money and told me to use the ATM, despite there being someone else already using it.

Can you tell me if your policy on lodging cash has changed since April 2012 when "BOI: Graham" wrote:

"The choice is still the customer's if they would prefer to deal with a cashier or to use the lodgement machine."

And point me to a website where these rules are listed?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 dashiell hammett

Just insist on paying the money in over the counter or ask for written evidence of the banks operating procedures before you'll go away. I've had to do that to lodge cash but they won't take cash to pay Credit Card bills anymore - I lost that argument :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sean

Hi Dubwat,

When you have a transaction that can be fulfilled through a self service option the cashiers will promote this channel.  Queue management is an ongoing priority, the promotion of self service channels(365 Online, Lodgement machines and ATMs) is all part of this.  Hopefully this continues to make a difference in your branch.  The information provided by Graham in April 2012 was correct at the time.  

Apologies for any inconvenience this caused

Thanks for posting

Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

@ dashiel:  You and I might not like it but, in fairness to BOI, they do have signs up saying they won't accept CC payments.  I spend a lot of time queueing so I get to read a lot of the BOI literature and signs.

@ BOI: Sean:  I'm not sure you answered my question but thanks anyway.  In your language, I chose to use the 'channel' that was not in use (cashier), but the cashier insisted I use the channel that was in use (lodgement machine), thereby avoiding doing any work himself. 

Plus, there was no queue (I feel like I should make a new thread about this or call the newspapers, lol).

• Registered Users Posts: 36 dashiell hammett

Dubwat wrote: »
    @ dashiel:  You and I might not like it but, in fairness to BOI, they do have signs up saying they won't accept CC payments.  I spend a lot of time queueing so I get to read a lot of the BOI literature and signs.

@ BOI: Sean:  I'm not sure you answered my question but thanks anyway.  In your language, I chose to use the 'channel' that was not in use (cashier), but the cashier insisted I use the channel that was in use (lodgement machine), thereby avoiding doing any work himself. 

Plus, there was no queue (I feel like I should make a new thread about this or call the newspapers, lol).

Why would a sign stop me :) BoI have used all sorts of tactics to try and make people use the machines so I wouldn't give a sign any credence without putting it to the test. The latest tactic is to charge more for the privilege of using a cashier.

I'm not one of those people who joins a 'club' (or a Bank) and then starts complaining about the rules.  I'm more concerned with being treated fairly within the rules.  Bank of Ireland don't seem to have a written public policy (or their policy is private and vague) and this allows the cashiers to refuse to deal with their customers when they feel like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Irish people don't like the impersonality of machines but that's the future so we're going to have to suck it up

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Occasionally, I order an item using my daughters Credit Card (I dont have one) & go immediately to the bank & lodge the money, using a Credit Card Statement, from a previous month, is this still possible?

hillbloom wrote: »
    Occasionally, I order an item using my daughters Credit Card (I dont have one) & go immediately to the bank & lodge the money, using a Credit Card Statement, from a previous month, is this still possible?
    Hi hillbloom,

Cashiers will no longer accept lodgements to Credit Cards in situations like this.  You will need to make alternative arrangements with your daughter, for example you can make payments using online banking or your daughter can lodge the money directly to her Credit Card using a lodgement ATM.

Thanks for posting.

Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Hi Sean, Another query.   I have a son in Australia & for his birthday & Christmas I would put a few hundred into his Credit Card account, is this possible from now on.  

hillbloom wrote: »
    Hi Sean, Another query.   I have a son in Australia & for his birthday & Christmas I would put a few hundred into his Credit Card account, is this possible from now on.
    Hi hillbloom,

This will also no longer be possible, cashiers will not accept lodgements to Credit Cards this way.  You will need to make the payment online if your son is not in the country with his card.

Thanks

Seán

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Really everyone the key here is to move your accounts to another institution that values your business. I've been a customer of BOI for ever but have almost completed the move of my accounts.

BOI on here have stated that not using a cashier is for queue management, which is great spin, but in reality, it's a cost cutting exercise which I'm sure will result in front line staff losing their jobs.

The switch process for me had been very easy so far.
    I know that's not an option for everyone due to their location but definately worth looking into. I'm sure banks will just continue to close branches anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭tucked

Hi Dubwat,

When you have a transaction that can be fulfilled through a self service option the cashiers will promote this channel.  Queue management is an ongoing priority, the promotion of self service channels(365 Online, Lodgement machines and ATMs) is all part of this.  Hopefully this continues to make a difference in your branch.  The information provided by Graham in April 2012 was correct at the time.  

Thanks for posting

Seán
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I would always use the machines to lodge to my account where possible but yesterday I had to go to the counter as I only had 2 x €100 notes and wanted to lodge €150.  I queued at the cashier counter and when my turn came I handed her the 2 notes and my card and asked to lodge 150 of it to which she replied she is not supposed to take lodgements and I should use the machine.  She actually handed me change for one of the notes for me to then go and lodge it in the machine. 

[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]When I asked her could she not just lodge it herself (as she had done the previous week for me) she mumbled that she is not supposed to take lodgements.  I said to her “so what you are saying is I need to queue here to get the notes changed and then go and queue again at the ATM to lodge the money” and when I asked her if that actually made any sense to her she just kept mumbling she’s not supposed to do it but will do it this time!  And there was only one other person queuing behind me!

[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]So Sean, if queue management is an ongoing priority, why are staff so unhelpful and asking customers to queue twice?  Fair enough, you are trying to get people to use the self service machine but can staff not just use some common sense if a customer doesn't have the correct change for the machine and just accept the lodgement at the counter?[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Paula H

Hi Tucker

Sorry to hear you feel that the staff are unhelpful. 

The queue management system is an ongoing priority. It has proven to be a most effective way of ensuring that each facility is available for use by customers at all times, which makes things easier for everyone.  

In order to maintain these guidelines, staff are under strict instruction to keep this queue management system going, even if this means re-routing a customer to a different area to fulfill their banking needs.

We will pass on your feedback and thank you for taking the time to post. 

Paula H 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

tucked wrote: »
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I would always use the machines to lodge to my account where possible but yesterday I had to go to the counter as I only had 2 x €100 notes and wanted to lodge €150.  I queued at the cashier counter and when my turn came I handed her the 2 notes and my card and asked to lodge 150 of it to which she replied she is not supposed to take lodgements and I should use the machine.  She actually handed me change for one of the notes for me to then go and lodge it in the machine. 

[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]When I asked her could she not just lodge it herself (as she had done the previous week for me) she mumbled that she is not supposed to take lodgements.  I said to her “so what you are saying is I need to queue here to get the notes changed and then go and queue again at the ATM to lodge the money” and when I asked her if that actually made any sense to her she just kept mumbling she’s not supposed to do it but will do it this time!  And there was only one other person queuing behind me!

[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]So Sean, if queue management is an ongoing priority, why are staff so unhelpful and asking customers to queue twice?  Fair enough, you are trying to get people to use the self service machine but can staff not just use some common sense if a customer doesn't have the correct change for the machine and just accept the lodgement at the counter?[/font]

Like was pointed out here earlier its a cost cutting exercise which will result in loss of front line staff. These days everything staff do on a day to day basis is monitored & when they accept a lodgement they shouldn't have they are questioned about it & then have to get them signed off by a manager , which results in lots of crap for the cashier. Not a question of being unhelpful I am sure she would love to just take your lodgement & have done with it but if she does the sh** she gets is unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi amber,

We do understand it can be confusing for customers the first time they are redirected while queuing in a branch.  When customers are in the branch again they will know how the self service options operate and hopefully reduce waiting time for them. Any of the customer advisors out on the floor of any branch would be more the happy to assist a customer with the use of the self service machines. 

We understand the changes can be frustrating but we would like to thank all Bank of Ireland customers for their feedback and patience. We hope the increase in self service facilities will allow customers easier banking going forward.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

Honestly, I would like if BOI floor staff would credit me with a small amount of intelligence.  I am sick and tired of being borderline harassed by floor staff when I am in a queue for a cashier.  

There are two main reasons why I need a cashier.  The first is that my fiancee is paid weekly by cheque, and because she works in a remote rural area, I lodge her cheques into her account.  Obviously, I don't have her card, so I can't use the machine.  In fact, it's getting even more painful now, because I have to ask at the customer service desk for a lodgment slip, because the bank do not provide these on the floor anymore.  

The second is that I lodge cash into my landlords account to pay the rent.  I am getting jobseekers benefit at the moment, so all I have is cash.  I would love to know how BOI suggest I get the money into the landlords account without queueing?  Instead, I am asked EVERY SINGLE WEEK IN THE SAME BRANCH if I would like to use the machine.  Honestly, please back your staff off.  If I am queuing, it is for a good reason!!!  I do not appreciate having to explain to a staff member, on the floor, in a queue of other customers (ie, in public view), why I can't use the machine.  It's embarrassing and unwarranted.  

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

Mr Heavy banned for 2 weeks for personal abuse. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Originally posted by Dubwat

Can you tell me if your policy on lodging cash has changed since April 2012 when "BOI: Graham" wrote:

"The choice is still the customer's if they would prefer to deal with a cashier or to use the lodgement machine."
    Originally posted by Bank of Ireland: Sean
    Hi Dubwat,

When you have a transaction that can be fulfilled through a self service option the cashiers will promote this channel. Queue management is an ongoing priority, the promotion of self service channels(365 Online, Lodgement machines and ATMs) is all part of this. Hopefully this continues to make a difference in your branch. The information provided by Graham in April 2012 was correct at the time.

Thanks for posting

Seán
    Originally posted by Bank of Ireland: Paula H
    Hi Tucker

Sorry to hear you feel that the staff are unhelpful.

The queue management system is an ongoing priority. It has proven to be a most effective way of ensuring that each facility is available for use by customers at all times, which makes things easier for everyone.

In order to maintain these guidelines, staff are under strict instruction to keep this queue management system going, even if this means re-routing a customer to a different area to fulfill their banking needs.

We will pass on your feedback and thank you for taking the time to post.

Paula H
    So is this no longer the case? Is the following statement true or not; "The choice is still the customer's if they would prefer to deal with a cashier or to use the lodgement machine."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Paula C

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your post.

As per Sean's quote above, Graham's response was correct at the time of posting.
    Bank of Ireland has now introduced many more self service channels and, where possible, customers will be directed to use these facilities. This is to ensure queue management is our ongoing priority.

Hope this clarifies this for you.

Thanks,
    Paula C

What's BoI's policy on lodging coins via the cashier? 

I, like most people, have a 'coins jar' that I fill up over time with 1c, 2c, 5c coins etc.  Eventually I might have €10 or €20-worth of coins in money bags?  Can we still lodge them via the cashier or would they refuse to accept the money (assuming the coin bags are full with the correct amount of coins)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Dubwat, 

Thanks for the post. 

You can lodge coins as long as they are fully bagged in the correct denominations. Also some branches have cashless days where no cash is handled. You can find a full list of branches here

When you select a branch, towards the bottom left of the page, there is an option 'Branch Services Update'. If the branch has cashless days, it will note it here. 

If there is a particular branch you had in mind and needed to clarify this, you can also find branch contact numbers on the above link. 

Thanks

Billy

Hi Billy,
    Thanks for the reply on the coins. 

'Cashless days' in banks, lol.  Maybe it's just me but that's funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

cashless days???  :rolleyes:

Bank: Hello sir how can i help you?

Customer: Money please!!

Bank: Sorry none here, its a cashless day 

Customer: :confused::confused::confused::confused: DA FUQ?????

This might be useful to others.

I bumped into a friend at the bank today while both of us were trying to lodge cash.  He went up to the counter and told them the chip on his card was broken (and he'd ordered a replacement card).  I don't know if they checked but they let him lodge cash over the counter.

I lodged my cash via the self-service machine. 

He left before I did :(

Advertisement