Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lidl runners

• 22-07-2013 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭

hi last weekend i did my first 5k. and realised i need proper running shoes. lidl are selling some on thurs for 20E , anyone any advice on these for the occasional runner, jogger thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

Dont skimp on the shoes. they're your most important bit of kit. I'd recommend Amphibian King

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

avfc1874 wrote: »
    hi last weekend i did my first 5k. and realised i need proper running shoes. lidl are selling some on thurs for 20E , anyone any advice on these for the occasional runner, jogger thanks

you've realised you need proper running shoes, don;t go back on the decision by buying lidl runners.

having struggled with ongoing running injuries i now seem to have a setup that works for me and the shoes lay a huge part in that. get yourself a proper pair and avoid half the problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Skimp on any gear you like but don't skimp on your runners.
    You get what you pay for. And more money on runners will mean less money to a physio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭oinkely

for what it's worth i picked up a pair if these the other day. have only done one run in them but they felt great for the 8k. light enough and very comfortable.

I will report back in a few weeks wehn i have used them more.

also - i tend to buy any shoe that is neutral and cheap so bear that in mind when reading this.

i have recently been wearing K Swiss tubes but can't find them in my size anymore, and before that it was a mix of asics cumulus / nimbus and nike pegasus. also hav e afew pais of asics hyperspeeds that i use for the odd 5k race.

these are less cushioned than the pegasus, similar to the cumuus i would think. different feel to the kswiss but then those are pretty unique. more cushined than the hyperspeeds byt also a bit heavier.

I might just be a convert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

I got a pair with the €4 insoles and they felt great, but then again i've only been running for a few yrs and have only ever worn Lidl's stuff and i've never had any problems, ankles can feel a bit "raw" sometimes if i do 3 days in a row but apart from that nothing.

I'm always intending on getting a more expensive pair but im not sure they'd be value for money, i've never had a gait analysis done either, i'm sceptical to the benefits of them.

• Advertisement

Murtinho wrote: »
    I'm always intending on getting a more expensive pair but im not sure they'd be value for money, i've never had a gait analysis done either, i'm sceptical to the benefits of them.

A sceptic too.

I think of the running greats who wouldn't have heard of gait analysis, or had anything like Lidl runners or any runners, and just got on with it. Plus I wonder how much of it is the trained analysis, how much the kid trying to sell one of the priciest runners that try always have in stock - have yet to heat of someone saying they got analysis that showed that runners in another shop were most suitable. Which I can understand, they have a job to do. Did lots of mileage in a succession of New Balance that I usually picked up for €30 or €35 in TK Maxx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I dunno. The lidl runners from today's magazine for 15 quid look a lot like the Nike Free runners. Only I got two pairs of runners last week I'd get a pair

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭gerrycorrigan

Is there any brand of running shoe that would be known for its narrowness?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

pretty sure inov8 have a rep for being narrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

A lot of the brands will have an option of narrow or wide fit in their main models.

For men standard widths are 'D' but you can get 'B' width which is narrow '2E' is wide & '4E' wider again. For women 'B' is standard but you go down to 'A' and up to 'D'.

Then in some non gender specific shoes you can use women's widths for men and vice versa. Women's shoes are available up to UK10 so no excuses for not having sizes. (may not always be in stock but shops should order them in for you)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LloydChristmas

I was in Lidl during the week and also saw these runners. To me they are light, feel comfortable and seem like just the shoe I would like to be wearing.

You have to wonder what the difference is between them and the Nike comparison - Im not so sure there is a whole lot of difference to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Murtinho wrote: »

I was like that myself until my wife made me do one (with a competent person)

I used to always develop a line of blisters down the inside of my feet and used to get post run lower back pain every now and again. Had I not done the analysis I'd of never thought I was in serious need of support shoes. I actually thought those ailments were just a consequence of running and just lived with it.

Advertisement