Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed as i may be upgrading from 30Mb to 50+Mb

• 22-07-2013 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I am based in Waterford city and i am on the 30Mb service using the old Cisco Scientific Atlanta Modem connected to my Asus RTN16 Router.

UPC have informed me that finally the area which i live in has been upgraded to the 50,100,150 speeds.

The guy said they would send me out the Cisco EPC3925 (i assume thats the model number they will send) Router/modem if i upgrade.

My BB is rock solid so would hate to run into the myriad of problems that some face with these new All in one devices. I will need to bridge the device to my RTN16 by the way

So is the EPC3925 the best all in one (stable / most features) that they have at the minute?

Should i go for the Thompson?

Appreciate any answers. Cheers folks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The Thomson doesn't have a proper bridge mode, though you can put your internal router in its DMZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Spear wrote: »
    The Thomson doesn't have a proper bridge mode, though you can put your internal router in its DMZ.

Thanks for that Spearman.

I wonder why they do not release a modem for the 30+Mb speeds like the one i have.

I guess it is all about making it easier on their end to troubleshoot issues when people phone up who are not that technically minded.

I am thinking about just keeping my 30Mb with the Scientific Atlanta modem, even though it is a free upgrade to 50Mb.

Better a rock solid 30Mb than a flaky 50+Mb is my logic.

Thoughts?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

While it may be a free upgrade you are virtually certain to find yourself with a new 12 month contract - have you been informed of this by UPC?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Spearman.

I wonder why they do not release a modem for the 30+Mb speeds like the one i have.

I guess it is all about making it easier on their end to troubleshoot issues when people phone up who are not that technically minded.

I am thinking about just keeping my 30Mb with the Scientific Atlanta modem, even though it is a free upgrade to 50Mb.

Better a rock solid 30Mb than a flaky 50+Mb is my logic.

Thoughts?

The older modem isn't DOCSIS 3.0 capable, so new modems aren't avoidable. Getting old modems out of the system, simplifies billing, reduces training needs, simplifies support/parts etc etc. There's a lot of good reasons for UPC to do it.

dub45 wrote: »
    While it may be a free upgrade you are virtually certain to find yourself with a new 12 month contract - have you been informed of this by UPC?

I do not mind a new contract dub45.

If there is no way to bridge without going the DMZ way then i honestly think i will just stay at 30Mb. I use their phone too and that makes it harder to bridge (i think)

There are DOCSIS 3.0 modems available. I wonder why UPC do not use them and insist on Router / Modem All in one .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I do not mind a new contract dub45.

If there is no way to bridge without going the DMZ way then i honestly think i will just stay at 30Mb. I use their phone too and that makes it harder to bridge (i think)

There are DOCSIS 3.0 modems available. I wonder why UPC do not use them and insist on Router / Modem All in one .

Pricing, they pay pennies for the 3925 because they buy in bulk.

MOST 3925s have bridging enabled, and it works with the phones, it only disabled the phones when they first released them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Unlikely that it'd be a cisco 3925 either way, isnt it all technicolor 7200s now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Guys,

I am based in Waterford city and i am on the 30Mb service using the old Cisco Scientific Atlanta Modem connected to my Asus RTN16 Router.

UPC have informed me that finally the area which i live in has been upgraded to the 50,100,150 speeds.

The guy said they would send me out the Cisco EPC3925 (i assume thats the model number they will send) Router/modem if i upgrade.

My BB is rock solid so would hate to run into the myriad of problems that some face with these new All in one devices. I will need to bridge the device to my RTN16 by the way

So is the EPC3925 the best all in one (stable / most features) that they have at the minute?

Should i go for the Thompson?

Appreciate any answers. Cheers folks

Was in the same position as yourself - would rather quality of service rather that speed.

Not sure you will get an EPC3925!
    I have been told by 2 upc techs, they they don't even get 3925's anymore, that the TC7200 (no bridge mode) is the standard upc device supplied for new/upgraded installations.
    I am based in Dublin, so not sure if this applies in all locations yet.

Was it someone in sales that told you would get a 3925? If so, I would not believe it. You should ring back and check again, stating that it would be a pre-condition of you accepting the upgrade, that you get a 3925 device.

On the other hand, I am using my TC7200 with wireless off and its just connected to my asus router which looks after my local networking.
    The 2 routers are on different subnets, so the TC7200 is not doing much.
    It means I am double natting, but i am getting my 50MB wired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Unlikely that it'd be a cisco 3925 either way, isnt it all technicolor 7200s now.

Better ensure they dont try and upgrade us so, our 3925->WNDR3800 setup has been running perfectly for months and I really dont want the hassle of configuring it again after all the trouble we had with UPC a while back. Thanks for the heads up.

I will demand a 3925 from then then. 100MB here i come :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement