Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in D15

Options
  • 22-07-2013 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend any decent gyms around D15?

Westpoint is kind of a no go for me, its just too busy at the times I would be able to go (after work - peak times unfortunately) - unless ofcourse things have changed there?

Crunch in westmanstown isn't bad, bit pricey and a lack of weights at peak times.

Currently in Ben Dunne in Lucan, and its just a bit of a trek thats starting to wear thin after 2 years.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Westpoint is very quiet this time of year and I can say its only really busy for 3 months of the year after Christmas.
    I go a peak times after work 3-4 times a week and have no problems getting access to any of the equipment.

If you can live with the busy period as mentioned above it can't be beat for price vs service provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

BMI Fitness in Tyrellstown is brilliant. Small, but quiet with lots of equipment. It's pricey though (IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

Thanks guys.

Interesting about westpoint, I'll have to pay a visit some evening this week (6-7pm) and see what its like.

Never even heard of the BMI place January, although I think I know where it is. I cant really find any pictures online of the facilities so will have to pay a visit.

Probably should clarify I'm predominantly looking for good weights equipment. When I do cardio I usually go for a jog and don't really go to the gym to run on a treadmill/use the bikes etc..also a pool isn't a big thing for me (as much as I would love it, I never have the time anyway)

Cheers guys!

If anyone has any other suggestions that would be great, cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There's some pictures on their facebook page. It's €350 for the year or they do a per month option of €60 which includes full gym use and 1 personal trainer session a month too.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

I'm in Westpoint 3 times a week after work. Usually get there around 5:30pm. Never had any problems accessing any equipment. The odd time I might have to share a machine, or ask to share, but that's not a biggy since you're doing sets and take a break in between.
    I'd avoid weekends, as this is the peak time for obvious reasons.
    I heard good things of gym in Coolmine industrial estate, but it's very pricey. They have some deals there with MMA classes included. Also they have a punching bag as part of the gym equipment, something you don't see very often.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I use the pool and gym at the National Aquatic Centre and the range of equipment is very good - and although it can be busy on Mon to Wed evenings there is usually free cardio equipment to use.
    I don't use weights much myself but the selection there looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

Cheers guys.

Its looking like i'll probably go for westpoint.

Thanks for all the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Have you had a look yet? Im interested in joining aswell and I see they have the offer for two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lothaar v2

https://www.facebook.com/FitnessPerformanceSystems

Been a member there for 18 months and it's really, really good. It's a mix of crossfit, OPT and olympic lifting. Very focused on getting results through correct technique and programming. Every session is run by a coach, in a max of 10:1 ratio. Great community atmosphere too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Today only apparently the join for Westpoint is 170quid.

We get a gym subsidy in work here thats more than this so its a no brainer really for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Has anybody used crunch fitness in westmanstown? I don't want a place with classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Has anybody used crunch fitness in westmanstown? I don't want a place with classes.

Gym is quite small imo, especially the free weights section for the price you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

called into the aquatic centre today around lunchtime to ask about membership packages, they do corporate membership for 420 prepaid or 445 direct debit of 37 a month which ain't cheap.

it was silly busy but put this down to kids being off school.

i'm a complete gym novice, looking for swimming lessons as well and ideally don't want to join a place that's over-run most evenings, although i work shift so this mightn't be such a huge issue for me.

what about the gym/pool in clonsilla near the astro pitches - any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Ben Dunne (Westpoint) is doing a limited offer again of 14 months membership for €189 for those on the fence about joining.
    https://www.facebook.com/bendunnegym

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Can anyone tell me does the swimming pool in westpoint be busy in the evenings, say 6-7pm ?!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

What about coolmine?
    http://www.coolminesports.ie/index.php/fitness-centre/fitness-centre

Never been there but I was looking at it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 38 longhorn2013

robertxxx wrote: »

First time seeing this gym. Looks impressive. Are you a member there? How busy does it get in evenings?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

jsabina wrote: »
    What about coolmine?
    http://www.coolminesports.ie/index.php/fitness-centre/fitness-centre

Never been there but I was looking at it..

Went for a while a few years ago. It was equipment was organised rather tightly, but didn't seem to get too crowded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Garrigai

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Garrigai wrote: »

I was a member here for about three months. It's no contract when I was there. It's very very basic. It's a large room. Has 4 treadmills two benches couple of weight machines. A cable cross over machine. Very few dumbells and two benches. It was designed for the use of the housing estate in the beginning.

Advertisement