Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fabricating a simple metal plate

Options
  • 22-07-2013 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking for somebody who can fabricate a small metal plate for me. 15x30 cm, 5 mm thick. With rectangular hole in the middle. Trying to build a table saw
    using a circular saw as a motor donor. I am based in Dublin, preferably north.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Try this guy, he has done some work for me and he won't charge the earth, he works from his home in Clontarf. http://www.motoengineering.com/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

You would be well advised to purchase a proper table saw, as it would work out cheaper in the long run. And probably safer, as it would be constructed to accomodate the necessary safety features needed, for such a machine. Lots of good second hand machinery out there at the moment on donedeal ect

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭zarafiq

Thanks Kadman,

Just starting my woodworking hobby, limited budget and space. As soon as I know that this is something I want to pursue I will buy a proper one. My father years ago lost a bit of his little finger while working with planer/table saw that he built so I know how important safety is.

fergal.b wrote: »
    Try this guy, he has done some work for me and he won't charge the earth, he works from his home in Clontarf. http://www.motoengineering.com/

Thanks Fergal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

You would buy a cheap table saw from Argos or lidl or aldi and it will be a hell of a lot cheaper than getting a plate made up and having your safety compromised as a result of it not being done 110% correct.

I would be of the same thinking as kadman to buy a proper table saw and not be trying to make one from a skillsaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

The blade on a circular saw is mounted directly to the spindle so you will always get some slight oscillation on the blade which will affect accuracy. Save up and find a belt driven saw which at least will have a good bearing mounted arbour.I once had a Triton saw/router gadget but the screaming of the brush motor starting up everytime put me off using it !

recipio wrote: »
    The blade on a circular saw is mounted directly to the spindle so you will always get some slight oscillation on the blade which will affect accuracy. Save up and find a belt driven saw which at least will have a good bearing mounted arbour.I once had a Triton saw/router gadget but the screaming of the brush motor starting up everytime put me off using it !

That is a useful information! Thanks!
    First quote I got ... 135 Euro + VAT!
    If I don't find something significantly cheaper it will be a no-go.

Advertisement