Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan - is it worth it?

Options
  • 22-07-2013 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I have been thinking of going vegan, not for any silly reason such as the animals or the environment, but because I recently heard that it leads to overall better health, mainly better sleep, higher energy levels and increased clarity and focus, but only from a few sources. Can any vegans out there attest to this(possibly in a non-biased,balanced way?). As in, when switching from a carnivore to vegan, was a change in any of the above recognized within 2 weeks/a month? If the affects aren't huge then I wouldn't be inclined to change my lifestyle so drastically but i have heard some wonder stories. Any links or info would be helpful.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Don't think it's a good start to say the reasons of the people you're asking advice from are 'silly'

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭loueuro2

ya like how can u say its silly,its the reason im vegan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭actua11

Those are pretty much the main reasons that people go vegan!

A healthy diet come forms healthy eating, which doesn't necessarily come from being vegan. A person could be vegan, but basically just eat crisps, chips, pizza, chocolate etc.

Any benefits that come from going vegan I've found are that vegans tend to be more motivated to explore new foods and find replacements for what they have removed form their diet. e.g if you've removed animal protein from your diet, you'll tend to look to replace it with the best possible protein source you can like quinoa or legumes that people tend to miss out on on an animal based diet. There are also a couple of things that just tend to be lower in vegan diet such as saturated fats (except mainly tropical oils) and dietary cholesterol due simply to a lack of vegan sources, but if you limit these in your current diet you won't notice much of a change.

Personally, I've found the switch to a veg*an diet to be simply different instead of being better/worse, it's up to the individual person. The reason people generally go vegan is because of the animals, environment or just having an interest if a diet based on vegan nutrition better suits the person, not based on any particular wonder stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Caring about living creatures and the world we live in is silly?, also I don't think you're a carnivore. Eating only meat wouldn't be very healthy would it? I think Omnivore is the world you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

The reason I went vegan was for, what you deem as, silly reasons so not sure you would want to hear my opinion as I base my life on something you obviously have no respect for.

Vegan is a lifestyle. I take it if you do decide to become a vegan then you will cease to buy any leather, wool, silk, honey, buy only vegan friendly toiletries and household items as well as the dietary side of things?

I think what you are asking is `if I cut out meat, dairy and eggs will I be healthy`?

Who knows? You have to do what is right for you. As mentioned above there are some very unhealthy vegans who eat complete rubbish.

Why not start with eating a clean and unprocessed diet? I am sure this will go some way to improving your health and then if you want to take it further you can tweak things until you feel at your best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 oneshot2shots

Thank you peaceful Vegan people. I am sure that someday vegans and normal humans will be able to co-habitate in peace.

Sorry being so offensive about your beliefs, especially loueuro2, didn't know there were any vegans in my home county. Don't think the environment is silly per se but I'll leave it to those of stricter moral fiber to deal with it. The animals are already on the shelves, I just think it's more humane to honour their memory so they at least die for a cause.

All jokes aside thanks for the input I really appreciate it.

Now I'm off for a steak n chips, take care y'all.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sav1980

steak and chips? Good luck with your quest for a healthier lifestyle then!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm just closing this travesty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement