Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New TwoPotHouse DSL

Options
  • 22-07-2013 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

i tried ringing Eircom but couldn't get a proper answer.

I'm currently living in New TwoPotHouse in Cork County. My internet speeds are woeful (1Mbps) since the nearest DSL cabinet seems to be in Mallow (about 5km away).

However there seems to be a cabinet on the main road, can anyone tell me if this is a DSL cabinet? Is there any chance of getting faster speeds? I moved from Mallow to TwoPotHouse so i wonder if they kept me on the Mallow cabinet instead of connecting me to the nearest one.

http://goo.gl/maps/w1DKA

I can PM phone/account number if needed.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

TBi wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

i tried ringing Eircom but couldn't get a proper answer.

I'm currently living in New TwoPotHouse in Cork County. My internet speeds are woeful (1Mbps) since the nearest DSL cabinet seems to be in Mallow (about 5km away).

However there seems to be a cabinet on the main road, can anyone tell me if this is a DSL cabinet? Is there any chance of getting faster speeds? I moved from Mallow to TwoPotHouse so i wonder if they kept me on the Mallow cabinet instead of connecting me to the nearest one.

http://goo.gl/maps/w1DKA

I can PM phone/account number if needed.

Thanks!

Hi TBi

Can you PM your tel no: and I will check your exact address.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I sent the details. Thanks for the help.

I sent the details. Thanks for the help.
    Hi TBI,

Thanks for sending on your details. I was unable to guarantee if or when your local cabinet may be enabled for efibre from the roll-out team.

They advised they should have a better indication in late August - early September.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks for checking. Is the existing local cabinet a DSL box? If so is there any reason i'm not connected to it?

Thanks for checking. Is the existing local cabinet a DSL box? If so is there any reason i'm not connected to it?
    Hi TBi

Until a cabinet is active and the connected address' have been updated on the system that they can avail of the efibre service.

We are not given a list of cabinets (or dates) due to be connected,

There are a number of factors taken into account when connecting an area to the efibre network. Which is why we can not get the specific reason as to why any customer may not be connected as yet.

Again there are a lot of factors why address' may not be eligible for efibre. The main one would be distance from the cabinet (for example) - not in relation to your query).

I am afraid we can not be more specific with individual cabinets / address'.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

I think i might not have explained what i wanted to ask properly.

Ignoring eFibre for the moment, I'm wondering if the local box is a regular NBG / DSL box? I'm only getting 1MB/s because i'm connected to a box >5km away in Mallow. If the local box (less than a KM away) is regular 8MB DSL enabled then i'm wondering why i'm not connected to it instead.

thanks for your time.

I think i might not have explained what i wanted to ask properly.

Ignoring eFibre for the moment, I'm wondering if the local box is a regular NBG / DSL box? I'm only getting 1MB/s because i'm connected to a box >5km away in Mallow. If the local box (less than a KM away) is regular 8MB DSL enabled then i'm wondering why i'm not connected to it instead.

thanks for your time.

Hi TBi,

Sorry, i seem to have efibre on the brain : )

I checked your detail again and those of neighbouring customers with eircom broadband.

The maximum speed for the area is 1.5MB (download). This is due to the distance of the address from the Mallow exchange - Keep in mind the telephone lines are no connected in direct line of sight and the distance the broadband speed may have to travel can be further than you may expect.

All the neighbouring lines are connected to that exchange / cabinet.

confirmed that the exchanges and exchange grids are set to try insure as many customers as possible can be reached to try and provide some level of broadband service.

Unfortunately that no matter which way the exchange / cabinet grids are mapped out there will always be customers who are either classified as (extended reach) or are to far from the exchange to get a certain speed or the broadband service at all.

So I am afraid eircom do not move customers from one exchange / cabinet to another even if they are closer to a different cabinet then the one they are currently connected to. if we offer the possibility to one customer we have to offer it to all customers. Which I hope you understand is no practical as that will alter the existing grids and network and effectively that means other customer will have to be moved to facilitate the change, which would mean they may no longer be able to get the the same broadband service / speed.

Thanks, Mark

Well good to have an answer at least! Thanks again. Will wait for efibre with fingers crossed!

It's depressing having such a low speed after i got used to faster in town...

Well good to have an answer at least! Thanks again. Will wait for efibre with fingers crossed!

It's depressing having such a low speed after i got used to faster in town...

No problem TBi

The efibre map and line checker is continually updated - http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement