Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA V Midnight launches and Prices

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

The game went gold the third week of August (a day or two before the partial PSN preload fiasco), so they've had three weeks to produce enough copies for what could well be the biggest launch in videogame history.

You might be able to nab one off the shelf early enough on launch day, but there's not a hope in hell there'll be any knocking about by later in the week.

I worked in Gamestop once upon a time, including the GTA IV launch. Every free bit of shelf and drawer space had copies of GTA IV in it when we opened, by that evening the place was almost cleared out. I had extra fun as I mosly worked weekend as I was at college full time - explaining to people that had been coming in every day since the Tuesday looking for it and there were none to be had. The local Tesco had sold out of it within a half hour of opening. And by all accounts, this looks to be way bigger.

If people want to stick a few quid down a game that they'll be buying at launch and that may very well sell out, then so be it, there's no harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

...in countries where the populous has been brainwashed from birth to be a consumer.

No doubt that was typed on your wooden laptop powered by good vibrations. Or was it your smartphone made from sticks and twine? And it was undoubtedly posted to the internet using fairy dust, not that you'd do a sheepish thing like pay a big ol' consumer loving ISP for the privilege.

Now I singled out the last line of your comment because well, you're buying this completely non essential luxury item as soon as it launches just like the rest of the good little consumers. And I'm sure the camera you'll be using to take a picture of it with was hand made by yourself, etc.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

All this drama for nothing. Dont fall for the hype. Do you really think they cannot print some bluray discs? I mean really, do you actually believe such nonsense? Im utterly shocked that in this day and age of internet information that you lot are not more marketing savvy.

I will pop into Tesco and just buy a copy off the shelf and it will be cheaper than all these rip-off stores like Gamestop.

Yer all gullible as hell. Incredible. Give me just one reason why there wouldnt be enough copies on launch day? We are not talking about cutting edge technology with limited supplies available, we are talking about mass produced bluray discs of which there are pretty much an unlimited number available.

ALL OF THIS IS HYPE. Its standard sales practice. There are always plenty of people who plan to get something, but put it off for one reason or another as its not urgent. If you suggest to those same people that it will be gone, or difficult to get, then you will push them into making that pre-order and guaranteeing a sale. But you know something, there will be nothing I can say to convince you, because you have become brainwashed and you are now so emotionally invested in this idea that no amount of logic will be able to change your mind.

There will be copies in every shop all around the country sitting there, after all the pre-orders have been fulfilled. I think its the most wonderful marketing, so simple and so effective. Its even so obvious what they are doing, but hype is such a powerful force when used in countries where the populous has been brainwashed from birth to be a consumer.

My first reaction to that was you are talking a huge amount of bollox.

The mature reflection reaction to that is you are still talking a huge amount of bollox but there may be a little truth in it. :D

I can categorically state now that there IS a shortage of this title versus demand. 100% sure of this. We've ordered 5 - yes 5 times what we originally envisaged we would need and can't get any more stock now until the end of the month.

I am also 100% sure that there will be some stores somewhere with copies there for sale on release day - that's a given but they will dry up quickly. You may well end up getting it in Tesco or somewhere that doesn't take pre orders but that doesn't mean that there isn't a few thousand lads who don't get it on release day or the day / weekend after.

To answer your one reason question - manufacturing isn't as simple as what you think. All games discs have to be manufactured at Sony / Microsoft approved / ran factories where the firmware and security features are added to the disc. These factories have production limits - tend to be around 150,000 units per week. Whilst there are multiple factories there aren't an infinite number of them and the space on the production line is shared with all other publishers releasing / printing games. GTA V requires millions of copies and was only made available for printing 3 weeks ago. There's your reason for the shortage.

Now where you do have a bit of truth in hindsight is the hype. You're probably right that it suits for a bit of shortages to be in play. Hype does equal sales etc so perhaps R* could have delayed release a few more weeks to build manufacturing stock up. (but then run the risk of getting it wrong and paying for millions of units to be made - with publisher fees per unit costing them a fortune)

Either way the bottom line is there is a huge shortage in the supply chain and it's not a made up hype excercise for us. We can't get enough and won't have enough stock to satisfy demand and my contacts in other retailers are saying exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I'm no keyboard warrior, but if they give me some nonsense about not having a copy there for me, it'll be Biscuits and Gravy time! :mad:

Biscuits and Gravy time....dont even know what that means but absolutely brilliant!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Did anything prebook in smyths? Prebooked in LV but no money was given, name was just put on a list, wonder was that the same for everyone who booked there?

• Advertisement

The suckers comment was tongue in cheek. If you want to take that in any other manner, then thats your prerogative.

If gamers want to believe that Rock start have not produced enough copies for everyone that wants to buy it straight away, then they are gullible. Because all logic tells you that there is no reason that they wouldnt provide enough. When you know something to be true, but allow yourself to be carried on a wave of hysteria, against your better judgement, then you pretty much are gullible. I didnt post to offend anyone, I was actually posting to offer some calm because the panic for those worrying about not getting the game is crazy.

Ive seen this a hundred times before with games.

Offer calm by saying "yer all as gullible as hell" and calling people "suckers"...give me a break. Get off your high horse...if you dont believe in the hype, don't believe in it thats fine by me...but dont pass comments on other people.

Btw I do believe that this game will be hard to get on release day/next morning.

The killjoy forum is >>> that-a-way...I suggest you make use if it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

DarkJager wrote: »
    I look forward to seeing it. I'll be enjoying the game while you're cursing your pseudo-consumerist nonsense.

He probably has it pre ordered anyway!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

d5c01eae030f89bbb2e4419d9e62a1d2.png

Arciphel wrote: »

Thanks very much, you've reminded me that I don't have any friends either.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

The mere fact that a few of you have stated Im being a killjoy just confirms what I had said earlier. Brainwashed masses! You actually want to believe in the hype and as I said, no amount of logic will change that. Had I not predicted exactly what kind of responses I would receive, this might be in an interesting opportunity to observe consumer behaviour. In reality all the psychological profiling has already been done many times before, so this is just the results in action.

@Pickledlime At no point did I suggest I wasnt a consumer. I am, a very big consumer who spends a fortune on the very latest tech and gadgets out there. I waste money every year buying the latest and greatest GPU's for my PC looking for that tiny bit of extra performance, that I dont really need. All I was doing was pointing out the fact that we are all more or less sheep trundling along when exposed to big marketing campaigns. I am not even against it, I can absolutely see why people love getting sucked into it all, the mass hysteria we have mainly created ourselves, and the anticipation of the big launch day is palpable. All my friends are excited about it, planning days off work to get stuck in. I will be doing the very same, I will pop out to Tesco, buy it, play it and then wait for it to come out on PC so I can buy it again but do it with decent graphics this time.

Here is an interesting video showing BluRay discs being manufactured. 35,000 discs per day on one small machine. That is 735,000 in 3 weeks on ONE machine! Hmmm I think they will have enough copies... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=koPK6gJrOjk#t=15

• Advertisement

Arciphel wrote: »

<snip>

Mod: Banned for three days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Here, can ye all just f*ck off with your bickering? Getting sick of it and I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Still no word from Tesco as regards price or quantity.

How long would you leave it to order off Amazon to have it by the end of next week? I was thinking Saturday at the latest??

Here is an interesting video showing BluRay discs being manufactured. 35,000 discs per day on one small machine. That is 735,000 in 3 weeks on ONE machine! Hmmm I think they will have enough copies... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=koPK6gJrOjk#t=15

http://www.sonydadc.com/en/news/press-releases/sony-dadc-starts-local-playstationR3-ps3TM-disc-manufacturing-in-russia-30/

Not sure if that link will show up as posting from a phone at moment. But capacity of that entire particular Sony factory is 450,000 units per month.

I'm not a technical expert but I can only assume the process for games discs and the digital rights etc is a lot more time consuming than standard blu ray.

http://www.sonydadc.com/en/news/press-releases/sony-dadc-starts-local-playstationR3-ps3TM-disc-manufacturing-in-russia-30/

Not sure if that link will show up as posting from a phone at moment. But capacity of that entire particular Sony factory is 450,000 units per month.

I'm not a technical expert but I can only assume the process for games discs and the digital rights etc is a lot more time consuming than standard blu ray.

Are you guys still taking pre-orders?

Jelly Funt wrote: »
    I highly doubt it GTA V is locked down tighter than a nuns knickers.

Surely you have seen the leaked videos all over Youtube?

Anyway my friend works for Future Publishing, Edge Magazine have had it for the last few days and they were all playing it in the office.

Surely you have seen the leaked videos all over Youtube?

Anyway my friend works for Future Publishing, Edge Magazine have had it for the last few days and they were all playing it in the office.

What does he think of it?

What does he think of it?

He didnt really say that much about it to be honest. He just had a quick go, there were loads of them all crowding around at lunchtime when it first arrived in their office. So he never had anytime. He only likes PC games, he considers console gaming as the "darkside". I asked him loads of specifics, about texture quality, view distance etc, but he has no experience with the game on PC, nevermind on console to compare it with. He did say he was surprised at how good it looked considering how old the PS3 is, and if you knew him, you would know that was high praise indeed.

He always has access to everything before it comes out, but as Future are in the process of making many staff redundant, everyone is ultra careful about saying anything that others, such as myself, could post online and they would get sacked for failing to adhere to the non-disclosure agreements they have to agree to.

He did say the opening scene is a bank robbery. I think I saw that info online myself though, so thats probably not news to anyone.

Are you guys still taking pre-orders?

We sold out of all stock allocated to the website and stopped taking pre orders yesterday.

We then took most of the stock that was meant to be available for release day sales at the Gamesnash Live venue and allocated them to the website allowing us to reopen pre orders temporarily. We are down to the last 50 copies now across both platforms and will have little / none available on release day. I'd love to have another 1000 copies but we simply can't get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

The mere fact that a few of you have stated Im being a killjoy just confirms what I had said earlier. Brainwashed masses!

It also proves that you're a self satisfied, pain in the ass.

*tongue in cheek*

It also proves that you're a self satisfied, pain in the ass.

*tongue in cheek*
    and that is why you love me! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Tesco are going to be charging 54.99 for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

joe316 wrote: »
    Tesco are going to be charging 54.99 for it.

Finally! Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

All this drama for nothing. Dont fall for the hype. Do you really think they cannot print some bluray discs? I mean really, do you actually believe such nonsense? Im utterly shocked that in this day and age of internet information that you lot are not more marketing savvy.

I will pop into Tesco and just buy a copy off the shelf and it will be cheaper than all these rip-off stores like Gamestop.

Are you sure about that? You've some wait yet mate.
    Im so looking forward to seeing what it actually looks like graphically. I never use my PS3 these days, have not for several years, but Ive kept it just for GTA V. I was playing GTA IV on my PS3 yesterday just to see what it was like, and it a horrible blocky pixelated mess. I then went straight onto my PC and played the same game but at 1440p with the max graphics mods etc and its just like an entirely different game. All textures are readable, viewing distance is amazing and its smooth. So Im really wondering what this is going to be like, especially considering the enormous map! I will still buy it for PC when its out though, cos thats what Im really waiting for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yer all gullible as hell. Incredible. Give me just one reason why there wouldnt be enough copies on launch day? We are not talking about cutting edge technology with limited supplies available, we are talking about mass produced bluray discs of which there are pretty much an unlimited number available.

ALL OF THIS IS HYPE. Its standard sales practice. There are always plenty of people who plan to get something, but put it off for one reason or another as its not urgent. If you suggest to those same people that it will be gone, or difficult to get, then you will push them into making that pre-order and guaranteeing a sale. But you know something, there will be nothing I can say to convince you, because you have become brainwashed and you are now so emotionally invested in this idea that no amount of logic will be able to change your mind.

There will be copies in every shop all around the country sitting there, after all the pre-orders have been fulfilled. I think its the most wonderful marketing, so simple and so effective. Its even so obvious what they are doing, but hype is such a powerful force when used in countries where the populous has been brainwashed from birth to be a consumer.

I thought they same about GTAIV, couldn't get a copy on launch day. And I live in a town with three tescos, three gamestops, at the time two hmv's, a supervalu, three argos stores and a golden discs, not one of them had it for sale that afternoon.

If there's plenty of copies around then hey great, hope everyone is able to buy it without hassle but going to midnight launches, yakking to other gamers and having a bit of craic is something I'd do once a year for certain games and GTAV is one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,619 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

GamesnashPat, got a stupid question but just want to be sure. The express post doesn't need to be signed for, but will the parcel be small enough to fit in a standard letterbox? Don't want to miss delivery if I'm in the shower or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,033 ✭✭✭✭Penn

TireeTerror banned for three days. Everyone else, calm it down and don't get into arguments. We don't want to have to ban anyone with the release so close, but we will.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭hawkeyethenoo

got that email off gamestop. i ordered the collectors edition a few months back online and wsa sure the money was already taken out of my account. :confused: got onto them but no reply yet.
    mutley18 wrote: »
    Don't worry about it, it was sent out to everyone in error.

where did you see that. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Julez

Anyone any word on HMV dundrum yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

He did say the opening scene is a bank robbery. I think I saw that info online myself though, so thats probably not news to anyone

Mods: any chance you could spoiler this? I just saw it! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

joe316 wrote: »
    Did anything prebook in smyths? Prebooked in LV but no money was given, name was just put on a list, wonder was that the same for everyone who booked there?

I prebooked, they took my number and said they would send a text when it comes in or something along those lines!

Advertisement