Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA V Midnight launches and Prices

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

dbagman wrote: »
    thats nice of them,will i get a refund of the fiver??some chance.lol

When I first pre ordered my copy from gamestop I put down 10 euro on it.
    I went in the following week to trade GTA 4 and forza 4 to get the game for 9.99. He
    Refunded the one cent onto a gift card.
    You might get your 5 euro on a gift card....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Will tesco nass or maynooth have it ?

What are the chances of just walking in and picking one up without been sold out ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

deadpacman wrote: »
    So who from Limerick here is goin out to get it at midnight? Which place are you going?

Not telling in case i get robbed but from my posts its pretty easy to guess.

GS are dropping the price in store as hmv are now advertising their price as being cheaper than GS

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

There will be hundreds of copies everywhere except the usual rip-off merchants like Gamestop, Gamesnash, Xtravision/HMV. Smyths, Tescos, Harvey Normans and pretty much every single shop that sells digital media will have it. All this drivel about needing pre-orders and waiting in queues and then waiting in another queue at midnight is just manufactured hype to create more sales.

Obviously we're sitting here with no stock available to sell at all as a genius way of creating more sales. ;) I already explained to you after a previously inaccurate post you made why there would be shortages of this game. I wasn't lying to you. And as I also said before I'm sure there will be some copies floating about early tomorrow but they won't be around for long. Supply has not met demand for this title whatsoever. I'd happily take in 1000 more copies tomorrow but we can't get them.

Can I ask you why we get labelled as rip off merchants ? Or is it because I previously disagreed with you ? Smyths being the same price as us and us being cheaper for most of the boardsies pre orders who got it at €54.99 - if Smyths are not rip off merchants why are we ?

Tesco are doing a marketing excercise combining a game discount with €20 spent in store (which is close to making them back in profit what they discount the game by depending on the spend) Are they not engaging in similar deception you feel we are engaging in ?

The RRP of the game is €69.99 - you will pay this on the PSN at the moment for digital download. That's what we are meant to be selling it at but we have discounted as best as we could do. As a matter of interest what would you feel is an acceptable profit level for a games retailer to make on a game. Is €15 too much ? €10, €5 ? - what wouldn't be considered ripping you off ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Don't feed the troll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

DarkJager wrote: »
    You still need to get your receipt stamped, otherwise you'll have to queue twice after midnight.

I was in the crescent gamestop earlier and they said they're not doing the stamp thing cos rockstar had an issue with it, this better not be a clusterfcuk

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

Doris300 wrote: »
    Is the Tesco in Galway doing a midnight launch?

Yes it it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

For anyone without a pre order like myself, HMV dundrum should have some. Went in today so see if I could still pre order but they weren't taking any. They did promise though that if you're there at 12 you will definitely get one on either format. I'm going to head up early enough and start queing.

I've just ruined my chances of getting one now haven't I? :(

Obviously we're sitting here with no stock available to sell at all as a genius way of creating more sales. ;) I already explained to you after a previously inaccurate post you made why there would be shortages of this game. I wasn't lying to you. And as I also said before I'm sure there will be some copies floating about early tomorrow but they won't be around for long. Supply has not met demand for this title whatsoever. I'd happily take in 1000 more copies tomorrow but we can't get them.

Can I ask you why we get labelled as rip off merchants ? Or is it because I previously disagreed with you ? Smyths being the same price as us and us being cheaper for most of the boardsies pre orders who got it at €54.99 - if Smyths are not rip off merchants why are we ?

Tesco are doing a marketing excercise combining a game discount with €20 spent in store (which is close to making them back in profit what they discount the game by depending on the spend) Are they not engaging in similar deception you feel we are engaging in ?

The RRP of the game is €69.99 - you will pay this on the PSN at the moment for digital download. That's what we are meant to be selling it at but we have discounted as best as we could do. As a matter of interest what would you feel is an acceptable profit level for a games retailer to make on a game. Is €15 too much ? €10, €5 ? - what wouldn't be considered ripping you off ?

That poster clearly knows more than you about pricing games, or anyone (like me) who's previously worked in retail and been on the buying side of things, you should hire him, seems to know his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 darrenflan96

How does the midnight launch work at Gamestop? From what I understand is that there will be two queues, one for pre-orders and one for those who haven't? My receipt says Express on it. Does this mean anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 FireTrance

That's NOT a drop, see my earlier post!

It's always been €60 online as long as I can recall, at least 2/3 weeks

€65 in store

Apologies, I did not see that. Someone mentioned to me they were dropping the price and I checked the website and assumed. I did not know they had different prices for online and in-store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Got my text from Smyths but the text says:

GTA 5 PS3 will be available at Smyths Blanchardstown at midnight tonight. Please collect at midnight tonight or tomorrow, by the close of business.

I pre ordered in Carrickmines :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

How does the midnight launch work at Gamestop? From what I understand is that there will be two queues, one for pre-orders and one for those who haven't? My receipt says Express on it. Does this mean anything?

The guy in Gamestop explained it to me earlier. I basically don't understand what he was telling me

I think we'll still need to queue up twice. Once to have the receipt checked and then again to collect the game. Could be wrong though.. it'd be great if someone could clear it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,708 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

My local tesco's only getting in 45 copies of each format for their midnight release. Absolute bullshít, means I'll be queuing from around 11. Probably a safer bet than xtravision though, who wouldn't take my preorder.

The guy in Gamestop explained it to me earlier. I basically don't understand what he was telling me

I think we'll still need to queue up twice. Once to have the receipt checked and then again to collect the game. Could be wrong though.. it'd be great if someone could clear it up.

There's an express queue for anyone who has preordered and paid for the game in full and had their receipt stamped to say so. The other queue is for those who haven't preordered or paid in full, and are just hoping to get a copy on the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

krudler wrote: »
    Not this horseshit again.

Feeling upset because you paid over the odds and might have to queue twice? Dont take it out on me. Mind your manners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I have a spare steel box and standard edition both on Xbox tonight if anyone is stuck,can meet in town after midnight tonight or tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    There's an express queue for anyone who has preordered and paid for the game in full and had their receipt stamped to say so. The other queue is for those who haven't preordered or paid in full, and are just hoping to get a copy on the night.

ok so as we've pre-ordered and prepaid in full basically we just join one queue thats picking up the game?In the door,join the queue,get to the top show receipt and out the door again?No stamping receipts to be done?It says express on my receipt too so Id imagine thats the case?Reckon ill be alright rocking down at 12 so?Or about a quarter to?

Feeling upset because you paid over the odds and might have to queue twice? Dont take it out on me. Mind your manners.

No I just think it's funny you think shops stopped taking pre-orders for the laugh to create hype for a game they had no involvement in the making of. I've worked in retail for the lauch of three previous GTA games, every one of them sold out either day one or within 48hrs, if I remember right we didn't get our second drop of San Andreas for three weeks after launch. This will likely be the same.

dbagman wrote: »
    ok so as we've pre-ordered and prepaid in full basically we just join one queue thats picking up the game?In the door,join the queue,get to the top show receipt and out the door again?No stamping receipts to be done?It says express on my receipt too so Id imagine thats the case?Reckon ill be alright rocking down at 12 so?Or about a quarter to?

Yeah that's the way it works. Or at least that's what I've been told. There's no rush anyways, you have a copy put aside for you, guaranteed. You'll just be standing around in a line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

deadpacman wrote: »
    So who from Limerick here is goin out to get it at midnight? Which place are you going?

Im going to gamestop on william street

Yeah that's the way it works. Or at least that's what I've been told. There's no rush anyways, you have a copy put aside for you, guaranteed. You'll just be standing around in a line.

yeah sound mate.Cheers for that.Didnt knwo what to do.No one seems to have a clue.Cant see Naas being too busy anyways...well hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I have a spare steel box and standard edition both on Xbox tonight if anyone is stuck,can meet in town after midnight tonight or tomorrow.

Pm sent

oh and further to that,my receipt says "Upcoming release products will be held for 48 hours after release"

Which to me says they will sell your pre-ordered copy after 48 hours of not collected and you will then have to wait for the next batch to come in stock,which could be a few weeks by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

I didnt pre-order but i was thhinking about going to gamestop tonight after midnight. Do you think i have a chance of getting a copy? or will there be any copies left for 2moro?

Ripping off is the term I use for companies who charge as much as they can get away with. I have no doubt you would charge even more if you could, its the likes of Tesco and Amazon that keep you in check. Just because on PSN its 65, doesnt mean I dont think you are charging more than you need to. I dont blame you for charging what you do, you can charge whatever you want, and if you have managed to secure over a thousand sales at that level, then kudos to you. At the end of the day you are in business to make money and you certainly dont stand a hope in hell of being able to compete with Tescos or Amazon.

The basis of my previous post was to highlight to all the concerned users that there was no need to panic about availability. If you read the thread, you will see that many other users have also posted about stock being available around the country. A person popping on this thread wouldve been terrified they would have no chance of a copy if they had not pre-ordered 2 years before the game was announced. You also explained about the time it takes to make bluray discs, I then provided proof of how long it takes. Here we are, a few hours from launch and its fairly clear that nobody will have a problem with Harvey Norman, Tesco, Argos and Smyths all selling the game tomorrow.

There really is not any point in talking about this much further, you have a vested interest and thats fine. Its like a clique in here, and I hear a lot of baaaaa baaaaaa baaaaaa.

Enjoy your extra sales, its great, God knows the country needs as many sales as possible before anyone else shuts down. Im sure it will be quite a buzz tonight, with everyone creating a buzz as midnight approaches. No doubt we will hear of a story where some act of violence was carried out as the last copies vanished form the shelves.....

krudler wrote: »
    No I just think it's funny you think shops stopped taking pre-orders for the laugh to create hype for a game they had no involvement in the making of. I've worked in retail for the launch of three previous GTA games, every one of them sold out either day one or within 48hrs, if I remember right we didn't get our second drop of San Andreas for three weeks after launch. This will likely be the same.

It may well be, but the biggest retailers in the country are not taking pre-orders. So all of their copies will be on the shelves for anyone just to pick up whenever it suits them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

How can Donaghmede open at midnight seeing as it's in the shopping center that will be closed by 9. Are the security staff going to open the main doors just for Gamestop to sell GTA5.

Anybody know the answer to this? Couldnt get thru on the phone earlier :(

Anybody know the answer to this? Couldnt get thru on the phone earlier :(

Well the security staff in my local Tesco said they're staying on and keeping Tesco open for the midnight release, and queues are to start at 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

quarryman wrote: »
    Pm sent

Sorry didn't get any message from you.

Advertisement