Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA V Midnight launches and Prices

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Tesco Artaine staying open after midnight to sell it

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TsarBomba

AdamD wrote: »
    Anyone else waiting on a text from Smyths? (Carrickmines)

Received there text a few mins ago but it said "GTA 5 X360 will be available at Smyths Blanchardstown..." Surely this is just a mistake with the automated message??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

ShaneU wrote: »
    Tesco Artaine staying open after midnight yo sell it

Really?

Mine in Millfield isn't... :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ripping off is the term I use for companies who charge as much as they can get away with. I have no doubt you would charge even more if you could, its the likes of Tesco and Amazon that keep you in check. Just because on PSN its 65, doesnt mean I dont think you are charging more than you need to. I dont blame you for charging what you do, you can charge whatever you want, and if you have managed to secure over a thousand sales at that level, then kudos to you. At the end of the day you are in business to make money and you certainly dont stand a hope in hell of being able to compete with Tescos or Amazon.

The basis of my previous post was to highlight to all the concerned users that there was no need to panic about availability. If you read the thread, you will see that many other users have also posted about stock being available around the country. A person popping on this thread wouldve been terrified they would have no chance of a copy if they had not pre-ordered 2 years before the game was announced. You also explained about the time it takes to make bluray discs, I then provided proof of how long it takes. Here we are, a few hours from launch and its fairly clear that nobody will have a problem with Harvey Norman, Tesco, Argos and Smyths all selling the game tomorrow.

There really is not any point in talking about this much further, you have a vested interest and thats fine. Its like a clique in here, and I hear a lot of baaaaa baaaaaa baaaaaa.

Enjoy your extra sales, its great, God knows the country needs as many sales as possible before anyone else shuts down. Im sure it will be quite a buzz tonight, with everyone creating a buzz as midnight approaches. No doubt we will hear of a story where some act of violence was carried out as the last copies vanished form the shelves.....

Business in wanting to make profit shocker, there's very little margin in games at launch, obviously companies want to make money.

Bringing Tesco and Amazon into it is laughable. Amazon, the biggest online retailer in the world, and tesco, the second biggest bricks and mortar retailer on earth after Wal-Mart are comparable to gamesnash now? THey're not keeping anyone "in check" they're selling the game at a loss and in gigantic numbers.

I'm no fan of gamestop but I wanted the steelbook edition, and the staff in the local store and sound so I bought it there, simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,708 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

ShaneU wrote: »
    Tesco Artaine staying open after midnight to sell it
    Fieldog wrote: »
    Really?

Mine in Millfield isn't... :-(

Only 45 copies of each format, going to be impossible to get a copy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Anybody know the answer to this? Couldnt get thru on the phone earlier :(

Presume so. My local Gamestop is in City Square in Waterford, also a shopping center so I'm guessing they will just have the closest entrance open and the rest of the shopping center closed off (barriers or something)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I fully paid up in Gamestop today and the receipt says "express". Does this mean iv to go to a seperate queue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Only 45 copies of each format, going to be impossible to get a copy.

No doubt everyone will leg it outside to Xtravision and pay the extra fiver once they're gone.

Rascasse wrote: »
    No doubt everyone will leg it outside to Xtravision and pay the extra fiver once they're gone.

The queue at xtravision will be mental too, I was up earlier and they said they won't have many left over after the preorders too.

Both told me to be up there for 11 to get a shot of getting a copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It may well be, but the biggest retailers in the country are not taking pre-orders. So all of their copies will be on the shelves for anyone just to pick up whenever it suits them.

you're having a laugh if you think there's going to be any copies for sale in tesco later in the week.

• Advertisement

I fully paid up in Gamestop today and the receipt says "express". Does this mean iv to go to a seperate queue?

From what I've been told there will be two queues one for those who have it paid off and want the game which will start moving at midnight, another one for those who need to pay it off hence why they are opening at 10pm to clear that queue as soon as possible.

Only some stores are doing the stamp thing, which they might not be now because Rockstar frowned upon it, having a stamp is the same as having a receipt saying the game is fully paid off.

Like I said, I was told that but it might be different for different stores, not completely sure.

krudler wrote: »
    you're having a laugh if you think there's going to be any copies for sale in tesco later in the week.

Or anywhere for that matter :pac:

I'd say once the pre orders are gone, you won't see any GTA V's on any shelf for a few weeks, easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

krudler wrote: »
    Business in wanting to make profit shocker, there's very little margin in games at launch, obviously companies want to make money.

Bringing Tesco and Amazon into it is laughable. Amazon, the biggest online retailer in the world, and tesco, the second biggest bricks and mortar retailer on earth after Wal-Mart are comparable to gamesnash now? THey're not keeping anyone "in check" they're selling the game at a loss and in gigantic numbers.

Youre saying its obvious businesses want to make profit. Yes, I thought I made it very clear I thought that and I found no problem with it. So what was your point? Were you just confirming what I said already?

I dont think its laughable I brought Tesco and Amazon into it, there is a reason they are the biggest retailers. It IS because of these companies that keep competitors in check. Could you explain why it is not the case? I never said the bigger companies compare to Gamesnash, but if Gamesnash dont compare to the bigger companies, within reason, they they would be wiped out and gone. Peoples support and loyalty to local companies will only stretch so far, especially in a recession.

You say Amazon and Tesco are selling the game at a loss. Is that so? What is the wholesale price for a copy then? Could it be that you just made all of that up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

From what I've been told there will be two queues one for those who have it paid off and want the game which will start moving at midnight, another one for those who need to pay it off hence why they are opening at 10pm to clear that queue as soon as possible.

Only some stores are doing the stamp thing, which they might not be now because Rockstar frowned upon it, having a stamp is the same as having a receipt saying the game is fully paid off.

Like I said, I was told that but it might be different for different stores, not completely sure.

Thanks, I'll head in for around 11

Or anywhere for that matter :pac:

I'd say once the pre orders are gone, you won't see any GTA V's on any shelf for a few weeks, easily.

3 weeks apparently is what it took for a restock of GTA IV last time apparently.

DID will have a few copies in the morning, and possibly Harvey Normans too.

If I don't get a copy tonight I know I'll be camping outside DID tomorrow morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Now I don't know which Tesco to head for later to be in with the best chance of picking up a copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

did tesco take pre orders or is it first come first serve ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

did tesco take pre orders or is it first come first serve ?

Nope

First come first serve...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Finally got the smyths text

Lemsiper wrote: »
    Now I don't know which Tesco to head for later to be in with the best chance of picking up a copy.

Ring each of them and ask how many copies they're getting in. Artane's only getting 45 of each format, but bigger stores might get more stock in.

• Advertisement

3 weeks apparently is what it took for a restock of GTA IV last time apparently.

DID will have a few copies in the morning, and possibly Harvey Normans too.

If I don't get a copy tonight I know I'll be camping outside DID tomorrow morning!

I wonder why it takes so long for more copies to be made. Understandably there is a finite number that can be produced once the final build has been completed. But even right now, the machine will still be producing more and mroe discs, so you would think more copies would come in each day until it calms down. Why would they wait 3 weeks before releasing a huge number all at once again? Maybe just more marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭purplestar1986

Ring each of them and ask how many copies they're getting in. Artane's only getting 45 of each format, but bigger stores might get more stock in.

just wondering how you know Artane will only have 45 of each format?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

Anyone going to Headford Rd Tesco at midnight?

just wondering how you know Artane will only have 45 of each format?

Just after coming home about 15 minutes ago from being up in the store talking to one of my mates who's working there.

I just called Tesco there. Price is unconfirmed, however I was told it would be between 40 and 55 EUR. They will not know the price until midnight. When I asked to be transferred to the Entertainment section, the girl asked "Is this about Grand Theft Auto?" and she told me that the phone had been ringing every ten minutes with people asking about it. QUICK, form a queue! :D

I just called Tesco there. Price is unconfirmed, however I was told it would be between 40 and 55 EUR. They will not know the price until midnight.

55 was on the stands in Artane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭R019912

Anyone know what the craic is in the dun laoghaire area? Are tesco staying open for release? They usually close at 10 so I doubt it. A man can hope though!

How strict are they with ID?

I'm 16, but look older haha do they really frown upon it seeing they let me pre order it in the first place?

I have a drivers license to show them but that won't do any good because it clearly states I'm 16 or will they bother try and find my DOB on it? haha

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Well Finglas is about 1km closer so I may just take a chance and head there. You reckon people will actually be queuing from 11pm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

€57.49 in Argos in Ilac Centre earlier, none in stock though,not even to preorder.

Advertisement