Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA V Midnight launches and Prices

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

tumblr_m5tp4hGOBw1qbnggp.jpg

Right folks - that's enough for me for one night. Will only end up in a proper row here I think :D Off to get a bit of shut eye before the midnight launch later. Enjoy !

Cant be leading the company in disrepute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Advertising in Ireland? Probably cost about 10 sheep, a couple of scabby horses and a battered old caravan.

You're just embarrassing yourself at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

exactly my point they can do all that by robbing consumers

What? things have a markup on them, it's kinda how this whole economy thing works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

You're just embarrassing yourself at this stage!

im not even going to respond to that mate,but suffice to say I agree with your comment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I wouldn't be expecting a launch day delivery with amazon tbh.

I ordered from amazon for £34 delivered it to antrim and then parcel motel to Dublin for additional 3.50euro

got it on the Saturday, total of 46 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Enjoy queuing everyone :P :P

5pCWDTAl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

So somebody who has never worked in retail or a game store is telling other people who have or do that they're wrong about something that's widely known even among other consumers.

Tesco, at that price, are indeed effectively selling at a loss. That's just a fact, what they pay for the game vs. what they're charging for the game does not leave change in their pockets. They regularly do so for big launches like this, and the Loss Leader strategy why they do this has been explained repeatedly. This is not some industry secret, it's a very well known practice, and in Ireland Tesco are probably the biggest name associated with it. The reason companies like Gamestop etc cannot do the same is because they don't benefit from the same kind of auxiliary impulse purchases - doritos, coke, etc - to the same extent. Tesco sell their first limited wave of stock at a loss to get the jump on competitors. When they get their next batch in, expect it to revert to something more standard.

Consoles, btw, are also generally sold at a loss in their very early stages to generate sales later on too. Again, these are both widely known and documented practices.

But if you don't want to take our first hand word for it, here's some text by somebody else - http://www.gamesradar.com/games-retail-unsustainable-according-supermarket-giant-tesco-why-it-going-so-wrong/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I ordered from amazon for £34 delivered it to antrim and then parcel motel to Dublin for additional 3.50euro

Can't argue with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Don't I fucking know :mad:,the one time amazon actually deliver before time :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Tonight is not the night to squabble about business practises, meet up tomorrow kill some hookers, deals some drugs and work out your problems or just shoot each other in the head, but please no more on here it is killing the mood. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭curryman

If anyone can answer this thank you very much

Mate of mine works on Henry St. As he was leaving work at 7 he counted 8 people in the Q

going to leave in a half an hour

excited.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The mark up gamestop put on new games tends to be around 25% of the wholesale price,considering used games have a double margin of 50% per game.

25% of 65 euro= 16.25

65-16.25=48.75 (wholesale)

If tesco are selling at 45 euro they're selling at a loss or just about breaking even.

Caluclated slightly incorrectly. Divide by 125 then multiply by 100. (= €52)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,708 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

going to leave in a half an hour

excited.gif

Half 9? Jaysus that's early. A long auld 2 and a half hours. Where are you going?

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Half 9? Jaysus that's early. A long auld 2 and a half hours. Where are you going?

Have to get the auld receipt stamped and i'll see what happens after that,might come back for an hour or sit in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

curryman wrote: »
    Mate of mine works on Henry St. As he was leaving work at 7 he counted 8 people in the Q

ffs and Im gunna try rock up at 11.45ish and hope for a cash copy lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Any gamestop online orders get emails yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I remember the last one came out I got it at 8:30 on release day without pre ordering. I shifted about moore street spying on the ones in the queue that had pre-ordered, there were 4 copies for sale to the general public. doors opened and I just brisked past everyone and got the last copy. Ironic thing was I wasn't able to play it for about 4 days later -felt a little guilty about that to be honest

Have to get the auld receipt stamped and i'll see what happens after that,might come back for an hour or sit in the car.

have you paid in full already?

dbagman wrote: »
    have you paid in full already?

Yup,still need a stamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Whipping Boy

So just how much are Gamestop charging? 60?

I have it preordered and 50 quid paid off, if I wanted to cancel this and grab it from Tesco instead would they allow it?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

So just how much are Gamestop charging? 60?

I have it preordered and 50 quid paid off, if I wanted to cancel this and grab it from Tesco instead would they allow it?

Yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,708 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Apparently there's 20 people already outside Xtravision Artane, well that's me out of the race anyways, not a hope I'm queuing this early.

Yup,still need a stamp.

apparently not,my receipt already has express written on it.And others seem to think you only join one queue if fully paid,wouldnt make sense to have us queue twice,they can just check our express receipts as we join the Q surely??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

About 4 lads waiting for the shelf to fill in tesco maynooth already.

I've pissed off down to supermacs for a while

Should be interesting. ...

dbagman wrote: »
    apparently not,my receipt already has express written on it.And others seem to think you only join one queue if fully paid,wouldnt make sense to have us queue twice,they can just check our express receipts as we join the Q surely??

I was told it was to monitor the amount of people coming for 12.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

A mate that works in Tesco Clearwater in Finglas just texted me there when he left work. He said there's over 200 people queued from the butchers all the way around the corner to the petrol garage. It seems you people planning on going there tonight should really find another place now.......

funny-gif-Simpsons-dog-eyes-suspicious.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Latest from Gamestop Dundalk

b4xk.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I only put a fiver down on a copy of GTA5 months ago at Gamestop. If I don't go to the midnight launch will they still have to have a copy waiting for me at say 5pm tomorrow? Or will they just sell it on because I hadn't paid in full? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I only put a fiver down on a copy of GTA5 months ago at Gamestop. If I don't go to the midnight launch will they still have to have a copy waiting for me at say 5pm tomorrow? Or will they just sell it on because I hadn't paid in full? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

They will keep it for 48 hours after release regardless of how much is paid off it :) You can pick it up tomorrow and pay the remainder then.

Advertisement