Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bishopstown/Model Farm Road broadband

Options
  • 22-07-2013 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi I'm with Smart at the moment. The max speed I get if 4Mbps and its constantly breaking. Anyone know if theres any good ISP available for this area. I don't think UPC is available, and eircom fibre won't be available till September. What are you all using and what speeds have you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I'd wait until fibre is available rather than locking into a contact with a lesser service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Its worth checking properly is UPC is available, they are pretty much unrivalled for good broadband if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Isn't fiber better than UPC of you can get it?

Ludo wrote: »
    Isn't fiber better than UPC of you can get it?
    No, UPC minimum speeds are now 50mb , rising to 100mb and beyond with other packages. No download limit ( well its a couple of hundred GB or something ridiculous).

Eircom start at 50mb with a low download limit (30gb) as well, but seems to max at 70mb and seem much dearer, once the initial deal is over for 50mb its €45 a month and im not sure if theres line rental on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I'm on the Model Farm Rd and I've got UPC. I'm on the basic 50MB package and I typically get 40MB to 48MB when checking the speed with Speedtest.net. I've never had any trouble or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

Speaking from personal experience, I'd steer well clear of UPC. Their speeds etc are great - but they are a nightmare to deal with. I'm spending the day today looking at all the other options so I never have to deal with them again.
    I'd happily take a lesser speed to never have to deal with their "customer services" again.I'
    Why not hang on the month for the efibre roll out...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Speaking from personal experience, I'd steer well clear of UPC. Their speeds etc are great - but they are a nightmare to deal with. I'm spending the day today looking at all the other options so I never have to deal with them again.
    I'd happily take a lesser speed to never have to deal with their "customer services" again.I'
    Why not hang on the month for the efibre roll out...?

On the flip side - I would heartily recommend UPC. Connection went down on Sunday morning at about 9.30 (first time it's fallen over for me), after checking it wasn't my modem called - message about out a local fault. Went for a short walk and spotted the engineer working on the cabinet - connection back within the hour with text from UPC to confirm to fault had been repaired etc.

V. impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

I live there and have UPC. I get between 30-40mbs. The router they give you is a lump of sh*te but beatts the 2mbs max that Eircom were giving me.

I am with UPC for broadband nearly 8 years now, in all that time I have only needed to ring them 2 or 3 times, once when there was an outage in the area, and another when I wanted the new modem for upgraded speeds.
    Any time I ring them they seem fine to deal with, honestly have no complaints with their broadband service.

Their TV service is good but I think the hardware in their boxes is a load of ****e, must of had mine replaced 3 times in 4 years, but its not really any hassle as I ring and someone comes out for free to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Had UPC for years but got rid of it about 18 months ago to cut expenses - was paying about €90 p/m for phone/TV/BB. Got satellite dish + aerial for free telly and got Smart BB. Only about a mile from you OP (near UCC) but have steady 16 Meg BB and no problems from the beginning. Paying €25 + VAT for BB and landline. Phonecalls are extra but rarely pay more than €35 p/m total.

Very happy with Smart and the speed I have now is very similar to the speed I was getting from UPC previously. Surprised you can only get 4 Meg in the Model Farm Road area - there are a lot of companies in the Business Park there that would require fast BB. Have you spoken to Smart to see if they can improve your service?

• Advertisement
Advertisement