Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General/Random Chit-Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Clearly you have never frequented "Cafe Delights".

Quite a fine dining experience that is..........:rolleyes:

That it is. Was there about a year ago. Asked for a chicken burger and chip. The lad said the delivery never came. More like he couldn't be bothered to run across to Supervalu to get them. Got a toasted sandwich in the end. Asked for mayonnaise. Was given a jar of Supervalu mayo that was empty and a spoon to scrape out the rest of it.

The calibre of his patrons is quite exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Yes it has all the hallmarks of a well run business. The ladies and gentlemen working in Nolan's are extremely friendly and courteous. I don't know Niall, but I guess his staff are a reflection of himself.

Although, while it's nice to get the personal service in Nolans where you don't have to leave your car etc, are they missing out on valuable extra revenue generation? How many times have we paid for self service fuel and picked up something else queueing at the counter that we wouldn't have set out to buy? They're losing out on all those unintended sales which is a significant % of many retailers revenue. I think that's the reason most garages are self service.

Topaz go one step extra and have the counter staff offering you some special like 2 for 1 Malteasers when you pay your fuel which I find a bit irritating. But again, I read somewhere that such policy is a big moneyspinner for them and others who engage in it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I was in Lidl earlier, hadn't been in there in a month or two and was glad to see they are finally offering shopping baskets!! :)
    I used to always feel awkward using my bag when I was only getting a few things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

ongarboy wrote: »
    Although, while it's nice to get the personal service in Nolans where you don't have to leave your car etc, are they missing out on valuable extra revenue generation? How many times have we paid for self service fuel and picked up something else queueing at the counter that we wouldn't have set out to buy? They're losing out on all those unintended sales which is a significant % of many retailers revenue. I think that's the reason most garages are self service.

Topaz go one step extra and have the counter staff offering you some special like 2 for 1 Malteasers when you pay your fuel which I find a bit irritating. But again, I read somewhere that such policy is a big moneyspinner for them and others who engage in it.

Fair comment.
    However the customer has to go into the shop to pay for the petrol and the pretty smiling ladies offer cash back, loto. I guess there are very few missed opportunities . The cash desk is surrounded with chocolate bars of every make, size etc. They are definitely the best on customer service:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭phormium

You don't have to go into the shop to pay for the petrol, they will take the money at the pump, but I always go in anyway because I want a receipt. I seldom if ever buy anything extra while in there even though I would be hanging around waiting for the car to fill so I'm not sure that theory works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 murphy05

My parents won a voucher that café! Could not give the voucher away, even for nothing.
    People just laughed at him. And yes - I refused it as well.

Speaking of roundabouts. Is there any plans to do something about that potential death-trap in Strand Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

murphy05 wrote: »
    Speaking of roundabouts. Is there any plans to do something about that potential death-trap in Strand Road?

Potential?

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/call-to-update-safety-laws-after-fatal-truck-accident-27419068.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Little scobie damaging cars in the area early Sunday morning, broken windscreen wipers, huge dents in 1 or 2 cars, caught him red handed & gardai knicked him. He won't make a statement, so Lelantos has a day in court to look forward to. Hope they sell his little Honda civic to pay for the damage the little shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    the yellow box....another thing people cannot seem to understand what it stands for!

The amount of people who drive right into it when in traffic, blocking an entrance/exit and make people who want to get through have to wait! drives me insane!
    I learnt to drive at 17, I'm nearly 37, yet I can still remember the rules of the road after 20 years....but so many don't seem to remember them!

It's one of my pet hates as well!

Just like people who think roundabouts are for stopping/parking on, if their exit isn't clear. The roundabout at Daly's in Killarney is a great spot for this.

• Advertisement

11811 wrote: »

I remember that accident and knew the man who was killed.
    But I am amazed that nothing has been done about the roundabout both in terms of pedestrians trying to cross and drivers going into it. Last week I saw a car drive straight through from the strand road side and not stop. It's amazing that there has not been more accidents, serious or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

I decided to post this here so as not to clutter up the "Jobs" thread soooooo.....
    Lelantos wrote: »
    Just a heads up. Dealz are in the final stages of setting up in Tralee & they are having an open day for interviews. It's in the Brandon hotel next Tuesday, starting at 10am.
    it's going to be a first come, first interviewed, affair, bring your cv with you.
    tfer wrote: »
    My daughter was there for 6 hrs yesterday, poor thing, only looking for a part time job. she reckoned there was a couple of hundred there, all shapes and sizes, young and old, well dressed and not so well dressed. Makes me appreciate the job I have.

I personally think it is a disgrace that interviews are given on a first person present basis, without so much as a CV review, and like tfer said, her daughter was waiting 6 hours! Bit much no?.

It is nothing but laziness.

If they can not even get something as an interview process correct then what hope have they got in business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

I decided to post this here so as not to clutter up the "Jobs" thread soooooo.....

I personally think it is a disgrace that interviews are given on a first person present basis, without so much as a CV review, and like tfer said, her daughter was waiting 6 hours! Bit much no?.

It is nothing but laziness.

If they can not even get something as an interview process correct then what hope have they got in business.

From what I've heard it was total chaos!!! There was no order to the way people were being called. Some had been waiting hours and others walked in and were called within 20mins. Many people left as they had only booked babysitters child minders for x amount of time!!! Not fair and very unprofessional for a company!!!!!

traleespud wrote: »
    From what I've heard it was total chaos!!! There was no order to the way people were being called. Some had been waiting hours and others walked in and were called within 20mins. Many people left as they had only booked babysitters child minders for x amount of time!!! Not fair and very unprofessional for a company!!!!!

Not creating much goodwill towards the arrival of Dealz in Tralee.

If this is the way they treat potential employees, how will they treat the 'successful' candidates let alone their potential customers.

Shame on you Dealz.

Sadly the corporate world is overrun with Beancounters, hence proper treatment of staff & customers by large Corporates is completely lost.:(:rolleyes:

I guess we should not be surprised, look at the way the Banks have treated their customers and staff

It was always going to be a cattle mart, their ads advised people to arrive early & nobody was to send cv's beforehand as they wouldn't be looked at.
    Unfortunately, it's an employer's market at the moment & people looking for jobs have to grit their teeth a little.
    The only bit of hope I can offer people is that there are always a few who quit in the first few weeks for whatever reasons, that's the time to apply.

Lelantos wrote: »
    It was always going to be a cattle mart, their ads advised people to arrive early & nobody was to send cv's beforehand as they wouldn't be looked at.
    Unfortunately, it's an employer's market at the moment & people looking for jobs have to grit their teeth a little.
    The only bit of hope I can offer people is that there are always a few who quit in the first few weeks for whatever reasons, that's the time to apply.

Sure, I agree it's an employer's market at the moment and will be for quite some time. Still on this occassion Dealz could have handled the situation better.

For some people it may be their first job or indeed experience of applying for a job, sadly it won't do much for their confidence.Not that the Beancounters will give a ****!

I also agree that some people will quit for various reasons within a few weeks, so when the buzz dies down a bit it would be wortwhile for a candidate to pop in with their CV and meet the frazzled Duty Manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

Am looking for "white van man", I talked to someone a couple of days ago, he gave me a price and I haven't heard anything since, and he's not answering his phone.
    Can someone give me a number from somebody reliable please, its a simple job, bring a couch to Kildare and bring another back down. Thanks

Am looking for "white van man", I talked to someone a couple of days ago, he gave me a price and I haven't heard anything since, and he's not answering his phone.
    Can someone give me a number from somebody reliable please, its a simple job, bring a couch to Kildare and bring another back down. Thanks

Would you consider renting a van and doing the job yourself? If so try Enterprise
    on John Joe Sheehy Road.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

Would you consider renting a van and doing the job yourself? If so try Enterprise
    on John Joe Sheehy Road.:)

Maybe he reads boards, he just called me and set a day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Maybe he reads boards, he just called me and set a day :)

Who did, enterprise or your original guy?

• Advertisement

Who did, enterprise or your original guy?

The original guy I presume....boards.ie don't hand out boardsies phone numbers willy nilly I hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Nice car young man, giz a lift to bingo..

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/kerry-mayor-calls-on-boy-racers-to-give-people-in-insolated-areas-lifts-602437.html

"Maybe these boy racers and boy racer girls as they are called.."

kingdumb wrote: »

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/kerry-mayor-calls-on-boy-racers-to-give-people-in-insolated-areas-lifts-602437.html

A very good idea:)

Perhaps a win win for all concerned:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

kingdumb wrote: »

This springs to mind....!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_KB1UALlUlE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

I honestly thought this was a Healy Rae statement, shocked to find out it was not him that suggested it.

I honestly thought this was a Healy Rae statement, shocked to find out it was not him that suggested it.

We can only hope & pray that the Healy Rae's end up in the back of a boy racers car....after the driver has had a few jars in accordance with their recent proposal on drinking & driving in rural areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

The guy's an unelected loudmouth, too many clowns like him on local councils. What is it about town councils that attracts these people? The lack of common sense...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

is Shanahan's up near Shanakill the best place to bring a petrol lawn mower to be serviced? Mine started making a very strange noise just before I finished cutting the lawn earlier. It sounded like the motor got louder and a bit faster. I moved the choke back up and it seemed a tiny bit better, but its not good!
    Never had to get it fixed, so not sure how much I'd be looking at!? Any other suggestions apart from Shanahan's are are they the best place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

I brought my last mower to them, no complaints. I called to the monavalley shop but had to take it to the place near viva burg.

Advertisement