Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General/Random Chit-Chat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    is Shanahan's up near Shanakill the best place to bring a petrol lawn mower to be serviced? Mine started making a very strange noise just before I finished cutting the lawn earlier. It sounded like the motor got louder and a bit faster. I moved the choke back up and it seemed a tiny bit better, but its not good!
    Never had to get it fixed, so not sure how much I'd be looking at!? Any other suggestions apart from Shanahan's are are they the best place?

About the only place I would say, Jim Caball used to do repairs too, not sure if still doing so

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

groovie wrote: »
    I brought my last mower to them, no complaints. I called to the monavalley shop but had to take it to the place near viva burg.

their place next to Viva Burg closed a good few years ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Lelantos wrote: »
    About the only place I would say, Jim Caball used to do repairs too, not sure if still doing so

I'll probably bring it up to them, I know they are good and I think my dad brings his there.
    I hope its not banjaxed!! lol luckily it let me do the whole garden before it started sounding sick!

I'll probably bring it up to them, I know they are good and I think my dad brings his there.
    I hope its not banjaxed!! lol luckily it let me do the whole garden before it started sounding sick!

Best decision I ever made re my garden was putting in concrete & hanging baskets ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Lelantos wrote: »
    Best decision I ever made re my garden was putting in concrete & hanging baskets ;)

I'd prefer to have to fix a lawnmower now and again than have to look at concrete!

• Advertisement

I'd prefer to have to fix a lawnmower now and again than have to look at concrete!

I thought the same, but best decision I ever made, stray cats no longer a problem, flower boxes & hanging baskets give plenty of colour & i am a very happy bunny these days

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

I'd often heard that getting the chicken pox as an adult was a bad dose...

now i know:(:(

2 sleepless nights down,dont know how many more i can stand:mad:

anyone know when this relentless itching is going to calm down?
    and how long before the spots go?

would love to shave but cant for fear of slicing off a few of these beautiful spots:(

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

I went to Fenit yesterday to do a bit of mackerel hunting and was wondering is it ok to go through the barrier and go all the way down to the end, it was open and no guard was around. It used to be my favourite spot years back.
    Obviously that's where all the fish were because I caught sweet f a off the pier :D

hard luck to Kerry today :( great match though!! well done to Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Seems boards is broken tonite, the footie transfer window has a lot to answer for :)

• Advertisement

Seems boards is broken tonite, the footie transfer window has a lot to answer for :)

its gone a bit wonky alright! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I got the lovely little poem below..

'Once upon a midnight dreary,
    while I websurfed, weak and weary,
    Over many a strange and spurious website
    of 'hot chicks galore',
    While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark,
    suddenly there came a warning,
    And my heart was filled with mourning,
    mourning for my dear amour.
    "'Tis not possible," I muttered,
    "give me back my cheap hardcore!" -
    Quoth the server, "404".'

Verily!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

I get that a lot, boards is trying to edumacate us!

we are thinking about getting a stove for our living room. We have an open fire, but we loose too much heat up the chimney when a fire is on, and it seems a stove is the way to go.
    Anyone know the best place to get one in Tralee area? they seem to be sold in a lot of place at the moment, so its confusing to know who to go to! We would need it to be fitted too (no handyman in our house! lol), so if it would be handy if the place offered that service with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

we are thinking about getting a stove for our living room. We have an open fire, but we loose too much heat up the chimney when a fire is on, and it seems a stove is the way to go.
    Anyone know the best place to get one in Tralee area? they seem to be sold in a lot of place at the moment, so its confusing to know who to go to! We would need it to be fitted too (no handyman in our house! lol), so if it would be handy if the place offered that service with it.

Get one with a back boiler, it'll heat the rads and any water you need for showers.

Get one with a back boiler, it'll heat the rads and any water you need for showers.

Ideally we would love to do that, but does that not involve a lot of extra work? we are kinda on a small budget, so any extra work which will cost money won't be an option at the moment unfortunately

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Which ever stove or insert you decide to get, make sure the glass on the door is air brushed. It'll keep it from blackening every time a fire is lit. We bought a Mulberry insert, fitted it myself. Not too hard. We didn't go down the back boiler route because of thermodynamic panels.

beertons wrote: »
    Which ever stove or insert you decide to get, make sure the glass on the door is air brushed. It'll keep it from blackening every time a fire is lit. We bought a Mulberry insert, fitted it myself. Not too hard. We didn't go down the back boiler route because of thermodynamic panels.

yeah I heard about the 'self cleaning' glass, so will keep that in mind! No matter how easy it is to fit, I can't see either of us doing it! lol

Ideally we would love to do that, but does that not involve a lot of extra work? we are kinda on a small budget, so any extra work which will cost money won't be an option at the moment unfortunately

I had a back boiler fitted to my fireplace a few years ago. It was 800 euro for supply and fit. It heats all the rads and the hot water. The saving we have made on oil since has more than covered the cost.

Id get your plumber to give you a price for both, he won't charge you extra for pricing Two jobs. It may be a relatively small difference, depending on how far away your hot tank is from your fireplace!

I had a back boiler fitted to my fireplace a few years ago. It was 800 euro for supply and fit. It heats all the rads and the hot water. The saving we have made on oil since has more than covered the cost.

Id get your plumber to give you a price for both, he won't charge you extra for pricing Two jobs. It may be a relatively small difference, depending on how far away your hot tank is from your fireplace!

I suppose its no harm getting a price. It would be great to not have to buy oil to heat the rads, so it is definitely worth pricing!
    The hot tank is upstairs in the landing cuboard, so not too far away from fireplace.
    Thanks for advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

beertons wrote: »

The blackening can be caused by improper air dampener settings also, even the self cleaning glass goes black for a while after a few uses it gradually clears up.

You really can not bate a stove in the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Question for you Michael, does your central heating still heat your rads and water after getting this done?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

@counterlock, Was actually just going to post that for Ciarrai76, you can have a dual system, if you don't want the stove on and just the heating or vice versa, you can also zone to what areas you want heated or if you just want hot water and not the rads.

@counterlock, Was actually just going to post that for Ciarrai76, you can have a dual system, if you don't want the stove on and just the heating or vice versa, you can also zone to what areas you want heated or if you just want hot water and not the rads.

I have to look into that, I love having the fire on but hate using the central heating. Although if this winter keeps up, we'll hardly need either!

Double post

is it a big job to connect it up to the boiler though? what does it involve?

we usually only have the fire on to avoid using the precious amount of oil we have! We like the sound of being able to heat the rads up with the fire/stove on!!

are there grants available for this type of upgrade? or for upgrading a boiler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Folks

Thank you for the informative and interesting posts. I too have been thinking about similar issues indeed , I got some feedback from around the country on a seaparate thread. Will post same later when I find it.

Fitzgibbon Interiors and Cremur Heating were two names I got in relation to stoves

Of course I had all summer to do this but the sunshine kept me outdoors:D

Regards,

Del

Hi Folks,

As promised

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057044419

Regards,

Del

Ps. Being a sceptic, my thoughts are that any grants are always included in the price!

Question for you Michael, does your central heating still heat your rads and water after getting this done?

Ya, we have both oil and the back boiler working on the same system. There's no need for zoning or changing boilers or anything. He just had to fit a new pump and an extra pipe into the existing hot tank.

We just have the oil to come on timer for half an hour before the child gets up in the mornings, and then its the fireplace in the evenings. The difference is amazing from the back boiler.

I have the pumped insulation in the walls, so the house is warm even without heating. And I have just had the hinges changed in a few of my pvc windows where there was a draught last winter.

• Advertisement

Was watching Countryfile on BBC1 , looks like the first touch of winter is arriving on Wednesday. Better get a move on with the purchase of the new stoves. Demand will determine price! LOL

Anyway I am going to Spain on Wednesday. Golfing!:D

Advertisement