Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General/Random Chit-Chat

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Get one with a back boiler, it'll heat the rads and any water you need for showers.

I like this idea, Mrs Del likes to have the heating on 24hrs per day. She is a Winter fan and enjoys having the fire on too. Me , I just hate the F...ing Winter:(

• Registered Users Posts: 35 murphy05

Got my stove 3 years ago from the crowd across from where the new Aldi is been built. They were the only ones that gave me a price to install it when purchasing. Everyone else wanted me to sort out the installation myself.
    Mine is a standalone stove in the living room.
    Hope it helps.

Ya, we have both oil and the back boiler working on the same system. There's no need for zoning or changing boilers or anything. He just had to fit a new pump and an extra pipe into the existing hot tank.

We just have the oil to come on timer for half an hour before the child gets up in the mornings, and then its the fireplace in the evenings. The difference is amazing from the back boiler.

I have the pumped insulation in the walls, so the house is warm even without heating. And I have just had the hinges changed in a few of my pvc windows where there was a draught last winter.

Michael,

Sounds very cosy indeed . What year was your house constructed?
    Good advice about the hinges, we got that job done last winter and it certainly helped considerably. Our house is exposed to the coast, every little improvement produces dividends.

Regards,

Del

murphy05 wrote: »
    Got my stove 3 years ago from the crowd across from where the new Aldi is been built. They were the only ones that gave me a price to install it when purchasing. Everyone else wanted me to sort out the installation myself.
    Mine is a standalone stove in the living room.
    Hope it helps.

I guess that was Fitzgibbon . We got our Fireplace there back in 2001. They were extremely helpful and efficient. They also arranged the installation of the fireplace. Noel Fitzgibbon,is a very nice and helpful guy.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Michael,

Sounds very cosy indeed . What year was your house constructed?
    Good advice about the hinges, we got that job done last winter and it certainly helped considerably. Our house is exposed to the coast, every little improvement produces dividends.

Regards,

Del

Mine was built in the 70s.

Only bought it seven years ago. Insulated the attic myself. Sheehys from Duagh insulated the walls, and I had a local plumber fit the back boiler.

Its like an oven now when the fire is on. And the house is still warm in the morning when I get up for work before the central heating comes on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

we need to fix some areas where there are draughts coming in. The seals around the front & back door are wearing away, so we need to strip them off & put new ones on. They are easily done though, they can be bought in Woodies.

I would love to do all the insulation in the house, but one thing at a time!

Mine was built in the 70s.

Only bought it seven years ago. Insulated the attic myself. Sheehys from Duagh insulated the walls, and I had a local plumber fit the back boiler.

Its like an oven now when the fire is on. And the house is still warm in the morning when I get up for work before the central heating comes on.

Our place was built in 2001, so additional wall insulation may not add much.
    However being a single storey house I think another layer of insulation in the attic would not go amiss. Having said that during the big freeze a couple of years ago , at Christmas break I had to climb into the attic with an oar to break the ice in the tank., which may indicate that the insulation was adequate. Have since fitted a pig lamp in the attic overhead the tank!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Our place was built in 2001, so additional wall insulation may not add much.
    However being a single storey house I think another layer of insulation in the attic would not go amiss. Having said that during the big freeze a couple of years ago , at Christmas break I had to climb into the attic with an oar to break the ice in the tank., which may indicate that the insulation was adequate. Have since fitted a pig lamp in the attic overhead the tank!:)

Triple glaze windows are a serious job as well for retaining heat.

An oar?, serious mental image I have here :).

"Daaaaarling, fetch me my ice oar".

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Person on ground close to entrance, don't know if collapse from health issue or accident?
    Hope they ok.
    Garda at the scene. Doc & ambulance was on the way when I passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Person on ground close to entrance, don't know if collapse from health issue or accident?
    Hope they ok.

We'll say some prayers & hope for the best

• Advertisement

Grosse Pointe Blank.
    Classic movie, gotsta love netflix!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Triple glaze windows are a serious job as well for retaining heat.

An oar?, serious mental image I have here :).

"Daaaaarling, fetch me my ice oar".

I would expect nothing less from Del!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Grosse Pointe Blank.
    Classic movie, gotsta love netflix!

Minnie Driver, I'd like to drive her with my mini, if you catch my drift...facepalm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

groovie wrote: »
    Minnie Driver, I'd like to drive her with my mini, if you catch my drift...facepalm.

She has got a serious chin though?. You could cut yourself with that :eek:.

She has got a serious chin though?. You could cut yourself with that :eek:.

One would have thought it was a great place for one to rest ones nuts?
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

aye, nut rest; pick axe; can opener; nothing like a woman who can do a bit of d.i.y. with her chin

Advertisement