If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart TV Advice

Options
  • 22-07-2013 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi There,

I have recently starting looking in to purchasing a smart TV but I know very little about them.  I was thinking of a 42" screen and I want to be able to wall mount it so would need a wall mounting kit with an arm so the angle can be adjusted.  Do all the different makes offer the same things in terms of features?  I have a budget of 1k.  What would you recommend at this level?  Some other things I would like to know

1. Can you get a wireless keyboard and mouse for them?
    2. How heavy are the TV's generally speaking
    3. Any advice on cable management techniques?

thanks

Mick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

pama wrote: »
    Hi There,

I have recently starting looking in to purchasing a smart TV but I know very little about them.  I was thinking of a 42" screen and I want to be able to wall mount it so would need a wall mounting kit with an arm so the angle can be adjusted.  Do all the different makes offer the same things in terms of features?  I have a budget of 1k.  What would you recommend at this level?  Some other things I would like to know

thanks

Mick

Hi Mick,

Thanks for getting in touch, and apologies about the delay in getting back to you.

Good move, smart TVs are very handy.  Some models range from basic features such as Facebook, Youtbue and catch up TV services.  Others such as Samsung can give you voice and motion control also.  Some of the features you may not think you'd use a lot but once you get use to them they come in very handy.

If you didn't mind going down to a 40" I'd look at the Samsung UE 40F6500.  This is full HD, LED screen with full smart features including a dual core processor.  It has WiFi built in also so no cables or dongles needed when you want to use the smart features.  But most importantly the picture quality is excellent.  We have one on display in the shop and it's fantastic.  Check the link below for more info:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue40f6500/sams-ue40f6500

This would come in at €1,073.40 inc delivery so a little bit over your budget.  This also includes a free 5 year guarantee

Some manufacturers offer a wireless keyboard and mouse for their screens.  The model above can be used with the Samsung VG-KBD2000 wireless keyboard with a touch pad built in.  

TVs have got away more lighter now, sometimes you have to check twice to make sure the TV is actually in the box. Very light these days.  Plasma screens are a bit more weighty than LEDs, nothing too major though.  The weight on the Samsung above is 8.7KG without the stand.

Are all your sources going straight into the TV?  On a swivel bracket it can be a little more difficult to hide cables.  I've seen people just use velcro cable ties to hold the cables onto the arms of the bracket.  For going down walls etc then conduit is the way to go.  Can paint over to match your walls and can be picked up in most hardware stores.

Hopefully this info helps. 

Chris

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi There,

thanks

Mick
    Mick,

I'd also have a look at the Pana TXL42ET60 - for a start its 2" bigger than the Sammy - there is £100 off it at the moment ( at £649.95 / €799.99) and it's got Panasonic's 600Hz Motion processing over the 400Hz on the Sammy F6500, it doesn't have the active 3D ( I actually prefer the passive to be honest, and the Glasses are way less expensive as well and its actually significantly slimmer than the Sammy as well..

If you wanted to have a look at it you can see the specs here: http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txl42et60b/pana-txl42et60b

If you wanted to add on a decent Alphason matching Articulated bracket I could do the Panasonic TXL42ET60 with the Alphason 453ART bracket at just £723 / €839.99 ( which is less than the TV is on sale for on its own in most places in the ROI )

On the smart issues the ET60 has VIERA Connect which brings together a host of features that make this much more than 'just' a TV. With the ET60B range you can stream video, photos and music from another source, such as your PC, via DLNA. Alternatively, use the Application-based browser to view shopping based functions, social media Apps and catch-up TV/film channels. As before, there's also a full web browser and as an added bonus, the new VIERA 2 app allows your smartphone or tablet controller to display a full keyboard 

The 42ET60 is built slightly heavier than the F6500 and it weighs in at 12.5 Kgs without its pedestal stand ( to be honest again - if feels better built - I'm not sure if it's the additional weight or what..? :confused: )

On the cable management issue - we do have lots of small Velcro wraps that we are happy to ship free of charge with any purchase..

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭pama

thanks for the info fellas ill digest it and get back to you with any questions

• Company Representative Posts: 17,279 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

thanks for the info fellas ill digest it and get back to you with any questions
    Hey Pama.

No problem at all. 

If you do have any questions just drop us a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭pama

Hey Pama.

No problem at all. 

If you do have any questions just drop us a post.
    Hey fellas

Question, can you offer any solution to have wireless sound broadcasted to a couple of speakers without having to run more power to the TV area from the suggested TV's you have mentioned?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hey fellas

Question, can you offer any solution to have wireless sound broadcasted to a couple of speakers without having to run more power to the TV area from the suggested TV's you have mentioned?

Hi Pama,

Unfortunately there isn't really any wireless solutions we'd offer.  You can get systems that will allow wireless rear speakers but it isn't something we do.  Have found sometimes the quality hasn't been the best so decided to stay clear.

Sonos have recently released their fantastic soundbar which can allow the Sony Play 3 speakers to be used as rears.  All they need is mains power and they're good to go.  

Check out the links below for more info:

Sonos playbar:
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/soundbars/sonos/playbar/sono-play-bar

Sonos Play3 speakers:
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/multi-room-components/sonos/play:3/sono-fenway-wht

If the Playbar is going to be far from your router then you'll also need the Sonos Bridge.  It connects to your router and then sends the signal to the rest of your Sonos set up.  The bridge will set you back £39.95.

Let me know what you think.

Chris

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.