Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courier company hassle!!

Options
  • 22-07-2013 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭

I bought a LED TV off Amazon.de, and it turned out to be faulty. As soon as I notified Amazon.de, they ordered a replacement and they asked me to send the broken TV back in a traceable post, to get to them before a certain date.

I got quotes online from UPS, FedEx etc and they were all around 150-200 euro. Rang another company (won't name them just yet) that has local offices and gave them the measurements, weight (21 kgs) and destination on phone and they said they can do it for 55 euro. I was delighted and arranged for it to go ahead.

The courier guy calls around to the house and collects the TV (I was not there) and charges the wife 70 euro. Docket he left behind says the parcel weights 35 kgs. That's fine, but he hasn't mentioned how much money he took from us - no receipt what so ever, other than the docket which shows date, from and to addresses.

I rang them for tracking details and for the receipt. I was given a tracking number and it shows the item status is 'Rework'. Girl on phone says that means "it's on the way like on route" (her exact words). And she promises to email me the receipt. No explanation to change in weight or price - said she will talk to the driver and get back. I ring them again, and same person answers the phone and says she will email me straightaway.

Over the weekend now and yep, no contact. I ring them again, a guy on phone (have a name this time) says he needs to check with 'international' guy and come back. No call back (sure..) and I ring again and he says that the item is in Birmingham, and according to the 'international guy' the dimensions are too big, and they need another 65 sterling to get it to Germany. And promises to send me the receipt and nothing so far.

At the other end, if Amazon.de don't get the tv by a certain date, they are going to charge another 690 euro onto my credit card. :eek:

Unsure what to do now - considering calling into their office and staying there until they sort out this mess. :( Thanks for listening to my rant - and any advice greatly welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Amazon should have paid for the return of the TV in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭positron

My fault entirely - This particular deal was delivered to Parcel Motel in Newry. So I didn't want to go thru explaining to Amazon.de how it arrange collection from Co. Louth not Newry etc. On hindsight, perhaps I should have!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ah I see. At this stage I don't know what you can do only make sure it gets back to Germany and never use that company again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

instead of calling a mega expensive courier, you should have contacted a parcel delivery service.

DPD, GLS or even An Post would have been cheaper and all with a 3 day - 4 day service.

I thought An Post wouldn't take more than 20 kg (dimensional weight) - or so I gathered based on their website. Its one of the other two I am now having this bother with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

positron wrote: »
    I thought An Post wouldn't take more than 20 kg (dimensional weight) - or so I gathered based on their website. Its one of the other two I am now having this bother with.

I'm guessing the second one mentioned? I'm afraid you seem to get what you pay for with them, compared to other couriers, and that's nothing but problems.

Oh dear, they are bad as well?!! My current struggle is with the first one! face-palm!!

Amazon.de has been super decent and flexible. They straight away refunded what I paid to this company, and gave me all clear to pay the additional 65 sterling this crowd is most unprofessionally asking for. But it didn't end there. Courier company is now saying they can't deliver it to Amazon unless there's a contact name, number and RMA number - and when I contact Amazon.de they clearly stated that there's no such thing - everything Amazon needs to accept the delivery is in that label, period. This crowd is still not happy and says they can't deliver without these details!

I have never seen such high levels of incompetence and unprofessional attitude from a business before, I can't believe they are in business!!

Just for completeness, after couple of more email forwarding between Amazon and DPD, one morning I rang them to see the situation (had absolutely made up my mind to get them to return it back to me and had told Amazon that I would do this too), DPD guy is not contactable, and doesn't ring back. And I ring again and someone else picks the phone and says he's aware of this but can't come to the phone and will call back. I call local DPD again next morning and they say the parcel is has been delivered to Amazon. What now? Wow.... I was speechless, thank you etc...

A day later Amazon confirmed they have received it. Case closed. Phew.

Moral of the story - when possible, get Amazon to arrange collection. And that while Celtic Tiger might be long dead, it's poorly trained tiger cubs are still roaming the streets with absolutely no sense of what they are doing etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

positron wrote: »
    Moral of the story - when possible, get Amazon to arrange collection. And that while Celtic Tiger might be long dead, it's poorly trained tiger cubs are still roaming the streets with absolutely no sense of what they are doing etc etc.

OP, you're not entirely blameless here, you got quotes in the range of €150-200 and then engaged a firm who bid €55.

The moral of the story is that you get what you pay for.

Advertisement