Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windowsill Pest

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

I think they are red spider mites ..they are harmless but a solution of detergent and water sprayed on them should kill them..spray them morning and night..when its cooler..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Kinzig wrote: »
    I think they are red spider mites ..they are harmless but a solution of detergent and water sprayed on them should kill them..spray them morning and night..when its cooler..

Cheers for the response, but i dont think they are red spider mites,

remember squishing many of those 'blood suckers' (we used to call them) as a kid, and these are not them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

They look like some kind of tiny beetle, how big are they?

mymo wrote: »
    They look like some kind of tiny beetle, how big are they?

Really, really small, barely see them, almost look like a spec of dust, only couple of mil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Probably some form of weevils, try googling images of weevils and look for a match.
    Neem oil of an insect repellant, bit smelly but works well if you can get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

I had a weevil infestation at one point, not exactly the same as the pics but there are different types. Mine arrived in with a bag of bird seeds I had although I was finding them everywhere except near where it was stored at first, bedrooms etc. Or is there a bird feeder near the window which they may be coming from? Removing the food source got rid of the problem after a week for me.

cheers for the advice,

will see what I can do and post updates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

I had these-tiny black beetles? Can they fly?

Mostly confined to one room. We turned the whole room over-killing them by just catching them in tissue. Then we washed mattress with flash. Sprayed the room with fly spray.

Got rid of them. Friend had same-both last month. No idea where it came from-no birds in this house!

CBFi wrote: »
    I had these-tiny black beetles? Can they fly?

Mostly confined to one room. We turned the whole room over-killing them by just catching them in tissue. Then we washed mattress with flash. Sprayed the room with fly spray.

Got rid of them. Friend had same-both last month. No idea where it came from-no birds in this house!

No these feckers cant fly,

but a good deal of cleaning and squashing seems to have removed them....for now.
    TCP, dettol, flash, did the job.........i hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

No idea what they are but I would suggest using Jeys Fluid, it is pretty good for killing of bugs like this and cleaning up areas. Costs about €13 a litre but you water that down and can be put into a little sprayer and the smell is quite pleasant, a clean smell.

• Advertisement

brrabus wrote: »
    No idea what they are but I would suggest using Jeys Fluid, it is pretty good for killing of bugs like this and cleaning up areas. Costs about €13 a litre but you water that down and can be put into a little sprayer.

Will give it a shot so!

Dalek: EXTERMINATE!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Will give it a shot so!

Dalek: EXTERMINATE!!!!

Just checked out their products and TBH I have only ever used the one you see in the tin, used it for years for cleaning and killing moss, bacteria, little creepy crawlies, etc. Most little creepy crawlies are there because of some sort of bacteria growing. Never even seen the other ones as I just go straight for the tin. You will be able to get it in any good hardware shop or builder providers. And it is safe around pets and smells quite nice too. And with the tin version you can choose the strength. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

http://www.abccopywriting.com/portfolio/jeyes-website

Advertisement