Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel If formula Help

Options
  • 22-07-2013 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a number of statements in a column which I want to run a if formula if a certain value returns. So if Level 4 is in there I would like what is in column G returned based on it been Level 4 in column B.

Thanks
    Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Need a bit more info. Are you saying that if either the status or the severity is level 4, then it should return the name James, because James works on Level 4 stuff? Whereas Fred works on level 3 stuff?

In cases where the status and severity have different levels, which is the applicable level? If we say James works on level 4, and Fred works on level 3, if an incident is marked status 3, severity 4, who should it be assigned to?

Do the levels have to include the word "level", or can they just be 1,2,3,4?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Ste1605

You have it right there - when I see level 4 in the column I would like the data with the names columns returned. When the severity is not 4 I do not want a value returned. Hope that is clear....

I don't think I'm really following you :)

=IF(A1="Level 4", Worksheet!G12,"Error")

The formula above checks what's written in Cell A1, and if it's level 4, returns "James" (which is located on the Worksheet tab, in cell G12, and returns the word "Error" if it's anything other than Level 4.

No that has worked thanks, I am not the best at describing this stuff I have one final question - if I had a column with a dept and another item say could I have these values returned along with the name in the intial formula

Thanks again

Ste1605 wrote: »
    No that has worked thanks, I am not the best at describing this stuff I have one final question - if I had a column with a dept and another item say could I have these values returned along with the name in the intial formula

Thanks again

Yes, but it starts getting messy. The easier thing would to set it up so that "James" gets returned in one column, Department in the next, and TheThing in the next one again.

The formula below just returns "James James James", but by changing the last two G12s to other columns you'll get what you want. The problem is if you want to start nesting the IF formulae to work on other levels as well it becomes very hard to read if you ever need to make changes.

=IF(A1="Level 4", Worksheet!G12,"Error")&" "&IF(A1="Level 4", Worksheet!G12,"Error")&" "&IF(A1="Level 4", Worksheet!G12,"Error")

• Advertisement

Thank you so much just sorted a head ache for me, much appreciated..... Cheers

Advertisement