Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Private tax on a van

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Mo60 wrote: »
    This is indeed the van my OH has just bought. So, if he taxed it privately it would be cheaper and he would have less problems with regard to use.

Many thanks for the information.

Dont take what I said as gospel mate, i based the tax on a google result for emissions of a citroen 1.6 hdi engine - i'd get more info from your local tax office first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Dont take what I said as gospel mate, i based the tax on a google result for emissions of a citroen 1.6 hdi engine - i'd get more info from your local tax office first!

I'm going to send an email to the Motor Tax Dept. for info. Although last time I emailed a Gov. Dept. I got 2 completely different answers to my question :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Commercial tax is €333 a year.

If using the older (pre2008) system of cc's, the rate for 1101cc to 1200cc is €330. So anything larger than a 1.2, and you'd be losing money.

I might be wrong on this but i reckon the smallest engine in a van would be fiat's 1.3 multijet diesel??? Think vw/skoda do a 1.2 TDi too.

If van first registered after 2008, and using the CO2 emissions basis of assessment, Citroen's 1.6 HDi for example is €280 a year.
    The 1.9 dci in my Renault Trafic would cost me €390/year.

All of these figures from a quick google search of emissions by engine.
    This is indeed the van my OH has just bought. So, if he taxed it privately it would be cheaper and he would have less problems with regard to use.

Many thanks for the information.

Van taxed privately can't be assessed based on CO2. No matter what year it is, it will be based on engine size.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

So therefore a small van could work out cheaper being taxed privately as against commercial?

Interesting point here is in relation to bigger van's or trucks.

When it comes to taxing vehicles it's the same category "goods vehicles" which apply to all vans and trucks.

So I would how would it work out if someone decided that he is going to use 40 tonne truck for private use from time to time, and therefore ask to tax it privately on engine size.
    It would come as about 1800 euro on private tax compared to over 4000 when taxed as goods vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Commercial tax is €333 a year.

If using the older (pre2008) system of cc's, the rate for 1101cc to 1200cc is €330. So anything larger than a 1.2, and you'd be losing money.

I might be wrong on this but i reckon the smallest engine in a van would be fiat's 1.3 multijet diesel??? Think vw/skoda do a 1.2 TDi too.

If van first registered after 2008, and using the CO2 emissions basis of assessment, Citroen's 1.6 HDi for example is €280 a year.
    The 1.9 dci in my Renault Trafic would cost me €390/year.

All of these figures from a quick google search of emissions by engine.

As already posted by CiniO, you can't tax a van on the CO2 system. If you are taxing a van privately then it must be done on CC, regardless of the year of registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭funstuff

Hi all,

I have a 1.6 Peugeot partner, taxed and insured commercial.
    Is it possible to tax online?
    Cant undestand the jargon on the site.
    Has passed the DOE test.

Thanks
    Gerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭funstuff

Thanks Fred,

Any idea how i get a pin?

Thanks

Advertisement