Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog wandered in

• 22-07-2013 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hey guys so a dog ( collie about three months old) wandered into our house yesterday as it was hot I gave the dog water and leftover chicken, I would love to keep the dog but someone may own her and I genuinley cannot afford to I gave her a bed for the night but I can't keep her what should I do ? I'm in the laois area

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

Firstly you should bring her to a local vet who should scan her for a micro chip. Hopefully she will be chipped and the vet can contact her owners.

Failing that - have you spoken to neighbours to see if anyone recognises her? Or advertised her as found on pets.ie?

You were really good to take her in for the night & hopefully you'll be able to get her back to her owner soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭daddyorchips

Guess_Who wrote: »
    Firstly you should bring her to a local vet who should scan her for a micro chip. Hopefully she will be chipped and the vet can contact her owners.

Failing that - have you spoken to neighbours to see if anyone recognises her? Or advertised her as found on pets.ie?

You were really good to take her in for the night & hopefully you'll be able to get her back to her owner soon

I brought her walking around the estate this morning and afternoon and the estate next to us noone regonises her, and I have not brought her to a vet I will do that tomorow I am delaying ringing the warden unless really needed as I would not want her our down she looks healthy enough.

If she's not micro chipped then your next port of call should probably be <snip> - they'll try to rehome her.

Thanks for caring - I know if my pet went missing I'd love for him to be found by someone like you

If she's not micro chipped then your next port of call should probably be <snip> - they'll try to rehome her.

Thanks for caring - I know if my pet went missing I'd love for him to be found by someone like you

you guys will make my head swell :) and will she be put down if not re homed ?

They shouldn't. I know the <snip> won't put a dog down if they are healthy & are rehome-able i.e. not vicious so I'd assume <snip> have the same policy

• Advertisement

They shouldn't. I know the<snip> won't put a dog down if they are healthy & are rehome-able i.e. not vicious so I'd assume <snip> have the same policy

thanks for all the info guys

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Most lost dogs owners are told and do contact their local pound. This should be one of your first things to do. Some owners of lost dogs only contact the pound.
    Ps pretty sure your obliged to as well.

time lord wrote: »
    Most lost dogs owners are told and do contact their local pound. This should be one of your first things to do. Some owners of lost dogs only contact the pound.
    Ps pretty sure your obliged to as well.

ok then I will do that when they open tommorow thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

ok then I will do that when they open tommorow thanks.

Their owner may be on holidays & it may have roamed from
    Where it was being minded :( I'd try & leave it a few days & give the little dog a chance. Don't they kill them after 3 days.

Maybe it roamed too far in the heat & dosn't have the energy to get home , or maybe it's radar is out of order in the heat . A few burgers & a floor to lie on for the night & some cool water while you put up a few signs & hope... I'd live if someone did that for
    Mine .

Fair dues to you for giving it shelter & a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

OP, contact the local pound. I recently picked up a stray and as he was a farm dog, not toilet trained and not getting on with my own dogs, couldn't find a rescue centre space as they were all full to the brim, I was left with no choice but to bring him to the pound, I actually was nearly in tears handing him over as it was no place for a nervous collie and I thought he was probably dumped. I had arranged with one of the rescue centres that I'd reclaim him after the 5 days were up and by then there'd be a foster family available. (I was heartened to hear that day though that there was a no PTS policy in this pound - unless for extreme reasons - so felt a bit happier)

However, the following day, I got a call from the pound saying the owner had been in touch and had collected his dog. I spoke to the farmer and he said he would never have thought to call the local rescue centres, his first call was the pound as that's what many people only know of. And not everyone is on facebook etc to see the lost dog notices.

So at least notify the local pound as this is the first port of call for most people when looking for their dogs.

• Advertisement

I have contacted the pound,noone reported her lost, I asked if I could keep her here until Friday to see if anyone claims her in that time, she said its unusual but I can,so she's eating now and she slept on the couch last night again hopefully they find her owner as i am starting to get attached and that wouldn't be fair on her as i couldn't give her all she needs

Could you bring her somewhere to be checked for a micro chip?

If she has one then it's problem solved

Hey guys, good news i located gog gogs owner( gog gog is how my little girl says dog). Apprently she was being looked after by someone and wandered from ballanakill to abbeyleix fair distance. One of the doors i knocked on contacted the owner and as of one hour ago our new friend is at home , i will miss her but its a happy ending for all involved really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Odelay

Hey guys, good news i located gog gogs owner( gog gog is how my little girl says dog). Apprently she was being looked after by someone and wandered from ballanakill to abbeyleix fair distance. One of the doors i knocked on contacted the owner and as of one hour ago our new friend is at home , i will miss her but its a happy ending for all involved really.

Yay, nice to hear a happy ending:)

Will you go to visit him/her?

Odelay wrote: »
    Yay, nice to hear a happy ending:)

Will you go to visit him/her?
    I would but dont want to be that guy that hangs around looking like im waiting to be compensated so i said my goodbyes at the front door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

Well, on behalf of gog gog (how adorable is that!), I would like to thank you for caring. God knows, the poor love could have fallen into the wrong hands. Having people like you in this world, makes it a much nicer place and your little girl is growing up to love and respect animals. Well done you! :)

kinkygirl wrote: »
    Well, on behalf of gog gog (how adorable is that!), I would like to thank you for caring. God knows, the poor love could have fallen into the wrong hands. Having people like you in this world, makes it a much nicer place and your little girl is growing up to love and respect animals. Well done you! :)

Thank you for your kind words , the little one has been looking everywhere for her today kind of upsetting really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Thank you for your kind words , the little one has been looking everywhere for her today kind of upsetting really.

Would you think of getting a dog?

Delighted to hear that there's a happy ending.

So nice that there are people out there who'll do their best for a lost pet :)

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Would you think of getting a dog? If i could train the dog,afford food, vet bills and everything that goes with a pet i would, but it would not be fair for a puppy or indeed a rescue dog to live with me and then if i goy a job id have no time so its a catch 22 really.

• Advertisement

Delighted to hear that there's a happy ending.

So nice that there are people out there who'll do their best for a lost pet :)

lost pets are like lost kids, hopefully somebody misses them if they dont they should not have them in the first place.

Advertisement