Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the difference between 'low power' and 'mains only' dimmer switches?

Options
  • 22-07-2013 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

About 7 years ago I installed a dimmer switch in our kitchen for two lights we have there. One of the switches broke during the week so I went into B&Q today to get a replacement.

The dimmer switch I want to replace now comes in two varieties 'low power' and 'mains only'. Can anyone explain what the difference is to me? How will I know which one to get, and does it matter?

The two lights being controlled, one of them has 4 x spotlights, and the other has 6 of those tiny halogen bulbs in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

The mains dimmer is probably a leading edge dimmer and the other is a trailing edge dimmer. A leading edge dimmer is fine for lighting circuits that don't contain any electronics, i.e regular incandescent bulbs or mains voltage halogens. A trailing edge dimmer would be the one used in a lighting circuit that contains electronics such as low voltage lighting fed from an electronic step down traffo or led lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

Thanks sparcocars, I think that makes sense. So for me I'll need a mains only switch, but if I were to replace the bulbs with dimmable LED spotlights and G9 bulbs I'd also need to change the dimmer switch correct?

Not that I'm thinking about it or anything, just useful to know these things sometimes.

Advertisement