Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pure Irish Telecom scam

• 22-07-2013 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

My parents had a visit from a rep from Pure Irish Telecom in the midlands offering cheaper telephone and broadband than eircom. Nothing given in writing, only a mobile number, offering to come back Friday next and install new modem. There seems to be no such company as far as I can see. Has anybody had any similar experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Is it Pure Telecom by any chance?
    http://www.puretelecom.ie

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,130 ✭✭✭✭beertons

They don't have field sales agents as far as i am aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

beertons wrote: »
    They don't have field sales agents as far as i am aware.

I've had them at my door anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

They are very clear that it is Pure Irish Telecom. Pure telecom do not send engineers to install modems according to their website. This man has a date for Friday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's quite possible the guy is going to fit the modem himself, where's the scam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Maybe ring pure telecom and verify, did they not show ID?

Nothing at all to connect him to a company? No brochure, no headed paper or card, no number other than a mobile number, yes he showed an ID but any kid could make an ID card look fairly authentic? There is no company called Pure Irish Telecom, but that is the name he wrote down for them. Pure Telecom state on their website that it is a self installed modem, an engineer will not call to do it. I am thinking that of all the reps that have called to my door for various utilities, all of them left some literature that linked them to their company. his guy had nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Ladylouth wrote: »
    Nothing at all to connect him to a company? No brochure, no headed paper or card, no number other than a mobile number, yes he showed an ID but any kid could make an ID card look fairly authentic? There is no company called Pure Irish Telecom, but that is the name he wrote down for them. Pure Telecom state on their website that it is a self installed modem, an engineer will not call to do it. I am thinking that of all the reps that have called to my door for various utilities, all of them left some literature that linked them to their company. his guy had nothing.

Have several burly family members over for a cuppa tae when he is due to arrive even better if you have some one tech savvy there too:D

Just off the phone there to a friend of mine who works in sales for Pure. He said that they use outsourced companies to do door to door sales. The guy probably didn't leave anything with you, because he had nothing to give you. Maybe ring the sales line tomorrow to double check everything he said to you.

Thanks, beertons. Maybe it is legit after all. Will contact Pure tomorrow and check it out some more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Never buy anything on the doorstep, especially anything that involves a contract.

On a side note, even if it is genuine, stay away from Pure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Ladylouth wrote: »
    Thanks, beertons. Maybe it is legit after all. Will contact Pure tomorrow and check it out some more.

The fieldrep (door to door seller) should have some for of ID. When he calls to your house again ask them to produce it and ring the Pure telecom call center and ask them to verify the rep is legit. I work in telesales for a very well known company and this is a regular call for us.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Never buy anything on the doorstep, especially anything that involves a contract.

I'd reiterate this sentiment. You have no protection if you sign a contract with a fieldrep on your door. Always sign up to these kind of services over the phone as 100% of calls are recorded and you can always listen back to the call if you don't get what you signed up for.

Keep us posted with your contact with the company. Did the rep tell you a few fibs at the door? I never saw the savings in changing companies myself, and i did a bit of cold calling myself years ago. Would have said anything to make a sale.

Advertisement