Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good, Better, Best

Options
  • 22-07-2013 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Just looking for an opinion from any and all Clay shooters ... Looking to buy a gun specifically for Trap and Sporting Clays. Have looked at a Blaser F3 and a Beretta 686E Sporter (both second hand). Also considering a Browning Cynergy.
    Heard mixed reports about the Cynergy. Currently have a Beretta for Game and can't fault it. Any help appreciated !

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The last three lads i know with Cynergys (less than 4 months old) all traded them for Beretta. I've no idea about the Blaser having never owned or shot one. However i've owned both the 686 and 682 at the same time so here is what i think.

Beretta 686E Sporting. €2,500 new (approx) Beautiful gun. Adjustable/memory comb, multi-choke, and a nice weight at around the 7.3lb mark, selective single trigger, and 28" barrels. Great gun, reliable, well built, and excellent at both game and clays.

Beretta 682E Gold Sporting. €3,100 new (approx) Superb gun. 30" barrels, multi-choke (optima chokes & bore), selective single trigger, 3" chamber. Unbelievable gun. For me, unrivaled quality, reliability, and performance. The fit, feel of this i could not find in a DT10. I know i went to buy one before going for this.

There are varying models of both guns. The 686 was the better model, and the 682 was up there, but not the most expensive. There is a trap version of the 682. Higher rib, and some subtle changes plus a couple hundred more in price is the difference. However for he price you are nearly in DT10 money or the UGB trap region (which might also be an opinion).

As said i owned both guns at the same time, and used them for their own purposes. I used the 686 mainly for game, but occasionally for the clays. However the 682 was dedicated for clays. The 682e Gold sporting will be around €500 - €700 more than the 686e Sporting.

However my opinion is only good for me, and for review purposes. You might find the 682 a little long or just doesn't sit right. So first and foremost try both, and see which is the better fit for you.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mac10guns

However the 682 was dedicated for clays
    Thanks for that Cass ... The club gun where I shoot is a Beretta 682E Gold and I've shot it a few times and loved it.
    I could be mistaken but I thought when I asked someone said that Beretta weren't producing the 682 anymore that they had introduced the 692 to replace it. Also do you know who is the distributor for Beretta now. I inquired off Ardee but was told that they no longer carried Beretta.

mac10guns wrote: »
    I could be mistaken but I thought when I asked someone said that Beretta weren't producing the 682 anymore that they had introduced the 692 to replace it.
    Replace it, yes but the 682 is still available on the Beretta catalog. Something the 686e is not. It will take time for the 682 to be "phased out". In the meantime you should be able to pick one up and Beretta will still honour the warranty, etc with the gun. If bought new. Of course you can always look at the 692, but as i've never seen one (in the flesh) let alone shot one i cannot comment other than to repeat what i've read in reviews about.
    Also do you know who is the distributor for Beretta now. I inquired off Ardee but was told that they no longer carried Beretta.
    There is no Beretta distributor in Ireland anymore. They pulled out completely as Ireland was "not worth their while" being in. Guns are too dear for most, and the sales don't warrant it. GMK in the UK still hold the franchise/distributor rights, and they supply McCloys in Antrim if that's any good to you.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Thanks again for that !!!
    They pulled out completely as Ireland was "not worth their while" being in.

Sign of the times I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I tried a Cynergy once, didn't like it at all. The balance seemed all wrong. It has been through a number of changes since then but doesn't seem to attract much praise.

• Advertisement

Thanks H-C ...... Looks like the Browning Cynergy is out. Thanks to Cass I've had a look at Donal McCloys website and he seems to have a good stock of both new and second-hand guns for all disciplines. Might just pop-up there towards the weekend.

Keep the advice coming .... much appreciated !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭zeissman

mac10guns wrote: »
    Thanks H-C ...... Looks like the Browning Cynergy is out. Thanks to Cass I've had a look at Donal McCloys website and he seems to have a good stock of both new and second-hand guns for all disciplines. Might just pop-up there towards the weekend.

Keep the advice coming .... much appreciated !!!!!
    Mc cloys usually have a good selection of clay guns so it should be worth a visit.
    If your keeping your beretta game gun you should go for a beretta clay gun as well.
    I used to shoot skeet and done quite well at it. I changed my beretta for a browning and it took a little while to get on to it as it felt very different.
    I was shooting well with the browning and was going to a competition in N Ireland one weekend. I didnt have my new permit back for my browning so I took the beretta with me instead.
    Well I think I shot one of my worst ever scores that day.
    I was so used to the browning that I couldnt get the hang of my old beretta at all.
    Something like a beretta 682e with 30in barrels and adjustable comb would be ideal for trap and sporting clays

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

That's so true for many shooters, Browning and Beretta shoot very differently and you need to stick with one. I won a Beretta silver pigeon years ago and really wanted to like it, but because I shoot Browning and Miroku all the time I just couldn't get used to it. It's a case of one or the other but not both unless you're one of the lucky few who can shoot anything.

Everytime i've shouldered a Browning i'm always down the side. Never along the rib.

That's the reason i stick with Beretta. I'm sure i could get used to a Browning with time, but as the Beretta comes up so easily i see no need to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Duster

Mac

For build quality and reliability alone there is only one option - Beretta (all models are good, go with what fits your budget).

As for Beretta pulling out of Ireland - that simply isnt correct. They will be represented by GMK who are in the process of selecting flag ship retailers in the 26 counties. They will most like have agents in the larger shops.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Duster wrote: »
    As for Beretta pulling out of Ireland - that simply isnt correct.
    So Ardee sports are still the main importers and distributors of Beretta Firearms?
    They will be represented by GMK .......
    Remind me where they are based?
    ........who are in the process of selecting flag ship retailers in the 26 counties. They will most like have agents in the larger shops.
    Agents?

IOW GMK will supply any dealer with a Beretta firearm directly instead of going through Ardee.

I did not say Beretta were not available, just that they had removed their agent, franchise or importer status from Ardee. As there is no agent or importer in Ireland, and until such a time as one is picked (if it even happens) Beretta have "pulled out" of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭raymo19

Mac 10,
    Have a look at the new Browning 725. I shot one recently and was very impressed. It had nice timber inc palmswell, back boring, Mechanical trigger and a new Choking System. Recoil was negligible. However they are expensive. Non manufacturer comissioned reviews seem good also.

Raymo

Thanks Raymo ... Saw one recently ... 30" with M/C.

Right ... Guess we can close this off ... Just put a deposit on a DT10.
    Nobody tell the missus !!!!

Nice one. Obviously it was the one for you.

Best of luck, and make sure to throw up a few pictures when you get her.

Advertisement