Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mobile plans in California

Options
  • 22-07-2013 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hey guys, I've recently moved over to California as part of training for my company back in Ireland. I'm finding it hard to find out which plan/network would be best so I can ring/text back home. Also some data would be nice.

I've checked out H2O wireless and they've got a decent package for 50 bucks which includes Unlimited calls and texts to Ireland and also 500mb of data. So is this the best deal I'm going to find?

Any recommendations? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I can't speak of specific plans but as far as I'm concerned once you have data all calls and texts to anywhere are free. Just use Skype, WhatsApp, Google Hangouts, Email whatever floats your boat really. Don't be paying for 'international' messages, there are no borders on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DupsTheKid

Thanks Spideog! I was thinking about using just internet but as I'm probably gonna be here for 10 months I've decided to look for a plan. Also there is gonna be a group of us here so will be handy to have the american calls to ring each other.

DupsTheKid wrote: »
    Thanks Spideog! I was thinking about using just internet but as I'm probably gonna be here for 10 months I've decided to look for a plan. Also there is gonna be a group of us here so will be handy to have the american calls to ring each other.

Yea almost every plan in the US will include more minutes than you can use, but you'll pay extra for international minutes/texts. In my opinion the best deal going is with T-Mobile, 30 dollars for unlimited data and texts and 100 minutes. They are GSM so you can use most Irish phones although you may not be able to get their high speed data. Or if you're buying a new one you can probably also find a new phone that will work on T-Mobile and at home.

Their coverage can be spotty if you'll be living in the boonies so check their website for coverage in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NYC2013

Can you text Vodafone Ireland phones with T-Mobile? I'm with them as well and can't, called customer support a few times and the only thing they'll tell me is that it's something happened between the two companies in April and they are working to resolve the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonny_D

I usually pick up an International calling card from 7-Eleven.
    It lasts a long time when your calling landlines back in Ireland.

• Advertisement

I just use Whatsapp to make international texts so I don't know about texting Vodafone numbers from TMobile.

Advertisement