Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel Formula HelpHh

Options
  • 22-07-2013 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi all thaught myself the basics of excel in order to create something used at work. Was looking for a bit of help with one formula though.

In one column (A) I will have a rising percentage each week. In the next column (B) I want to have a number that will change depending on what is entered in column A.

E.G. IF I have 60% in A I want B to say 0. If I have 70% in A i want B to say 200. If I have 80% in A I want B to say 400. I want this to happen automatically without me having to touch column B once formula is entered.

Hope I have explained that ok. Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Faze11 wrote: »
    Hi all thaught myself the basics of excel in order to create something used at work. Was looking for a bit of help with one formula though.

In one column (A) I will have a rising percentage each week. In the next column (B) I want to have a number that will change depending on what is entered in column A.

E.G. IF I have 60% in A I want B to say 0. If I have 70% in A i want B to say 200. If I have 80% in A I want B to say 400. I want this to happen automatically without me having to touch column B once formula is entered.

Hope I have explained that ok. Any help much appreciated.

A nested if statement will do it.

Formula for B1
    =if(A1=0.6,0,if(A1=0.7,200,if(A1=0.8,400,"Out of Range")))

I put in 0.6 etc instead of 60% assuming the percentage was a format. Out of range will come up for any value in A whic is not 60,70 or 80%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Lu Tze's way will work well. However, if there's a chance that the numbers in the B column are likely to change, there are some other methods you could use.

If A=70% will always and forever mean that B is 200, use Lu Tze's way. If it's likely that you'll need to change it in a few month's time let us know and we can offer alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

Thanks guys. I should h.ave said. I want it so if a = anywhere between 70-79% b will = 200. If a - 80-90 b=400 and so on. Would that change the formula or could i use a < symbol.

Many thanks once again

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Faze11 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I should h.ave said. I want it so if a = anywhere between 70-79% b will = 200. If a - 80-90 b=400 and so on. Would that change the formula or could i use a < symbol.

Many thanks once again

=if(A1<0.7,0,if(A1<0.8,200,if(A1<0.9,400,"Out of Range")))

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

You can use the < symbol, but think about your edge cases. Is the number rounded up to whole numbers? What if the background number is 69.9999%? What do you want it to show then? If you're rounding up, that might look like 70%, but give a result of 0.
    Play around with this one, and adjust the .8 and .9 as needed

=IF(A1<0.7,0,(IF(A1<0.8,200,(IF(A1<=0.9,400,"Error")))))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

Seems to be working perfect. Many thanks once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

my 2 cents: if you think about using excel for something more than simple math and basic conditional formulas start learning visual basic for excel, especially if you have any programing experience.

My answer (Alt-F11 to open vba in excel):
    Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
        If Target.Column = 1 Then
                If Target.Value > 60 And Target.Value < 70 Then Target(1, 2) = 0
                If Target.Value > 70 And Target.Value < 80 Then Target(1, 2) = 200
                If Target.Value > 80 And Target.Value < 90 Then Target(1, 2) = 400
        End If
    End Sub

I normally don't do vba for something as simple as that, but... if you have 12 ranges instead of just 3 the nesting conditional formula would be really long and awkward to maintain.

Advertisement