Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed

Options
  • 22-07-2013 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi All
    Well, I need some advice and here's why:
    I was working in this place and was also trying to sell my car. This guy working there was interested in buying the car and we agreed a price. He badly needed the car and asked could he pay half then and half at a later date. Now I know you will all probably scream 'Idiot!' at me but I agreed. I agreed because I needed to sell it and was working with him and would see him everyday practically.
    So we went ahead and he paid for half but since then I have left that place of work but am still in the locality and could call in at any stage. I've text him etc and he has not got back to me regarding the money and now I am just starting to worry. I'm thinking of contacting one of the girls in there and having them tell him to get in touch with me and then calling in when he is there.
    However, if things don't get sorted in a nice friendly manner as I hope is there anything I can do. To be honest he doesn't even owe me that much so it isn't as if I'm hounding him for all he has.
    Any advice appreciated, any criticism for what I did not really welcome as I'm wrecking my own head enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I suppose it was all a gentleman's agreement too, done on a handshake with nothing on paper to say the price agreed, payment terms, etc?
    As the phrase goes "possession is 9/10ths of the law" so unless you've a witness or evidence it'll be your word against his if things get really sticky. Even if he acknowledges he owes you a debt I don't think you can legally just go and seize the car either, it's his now unless you can prove you retain title until full payment.

Just talk to him face to face, don't leave messages because they can be ignored and others don't need to be involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

OP do you still have the tax book in your name or was that signed over to him? if it is still in your name you could technically report the car stolen as it has not been paid for but you would need documents like receipts and agreement of price etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jolou86

well, technically I have quite a few witnesses. I have people who were present for the agreement, people who were present at the sale and people present when the car was being taken. I'm not going to stress to much and I calmed myself down a bit after putting up the post. At the end of the day, I was told he's not about at the minute but I know when he is due back so that is probably the reason I have not heard from him. I as I said have witnesses, I can pop over to his place of work or his home place if I need to with a witness and discuss it with him. And if all else fails, which I don't believe it will, I will seek further action. I appreciate all comments but I think I'm good with this one now.

Advertisement