Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Phone or Contract -Benefits

Options
  • 22-07-2013 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Looking to get the new HTC one phone. At the moment I am pre-pay and usually dont spend over €20 a month.

If I was to get the phone on contract over 24 months, the plan will cost more than the €20 a month I pay on pre-pay.

Either way taking both options into account, there is no real difference in the total financial outlay if I was to buy it upfront and stick with pre-pay or go bill over 2 years.

Would there be any benefits by going contract? Maybe option for upgrade in future?

Comments

Looking to get the new HTC one phone. At the moment I am pre-pay and usually dont spend over €20 a month.

If I was to get the phone on contract over 24 months, the plan will cost more than the €20 a month I pay on pre-pay.

Either way taking both options into account, there is no real difference in the total financial outlay if I was to buy it upfront and stick with pre-pay or go bill over 2 years.

Would there be any benefits by going contract? Maybe option for upgrade in future?

I was in the same situation a couple of years ago. For me the main advantage was never running out of credit, and worrying if I'll have enough credit to make a phone call.
    The main disadvantage is, that you are not always sure, of exactly what you are spending and if you are not careful, you can spend more than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

If you can get one of those all inclusive packages you'll be laughing.

Free calls and a load of txts and plenty of data.

I've been with emobile for over a year now. Great prices available.

What I done was I weighed up the price of the phone I wanted on ready to go. Say it cost €400 and then I added the cost of what credit I would use over a 12 month period which at €20 per month was €240. Add them together and to go with a read to go option I was looking at €640 for the year and that would only give me free txts to all networks so I was open to having to buy more credit if I was making a lot of phone calls.

I then compared that cost to what a bill phone will cost me over the same period. So you gotta look at A. cost of same phone on a bill pay package and B. the monthly charge.

Which ever figure is lower then thats what you go with.

Ideally you gotta find the right package for you. With so many options with bill phones nowadays its hard to go wrong tbh

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

See this thread for a fantastic deal on a HTC One:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056991801

So go on a contract for 6 months at €55 per month and then when the contract is up, switch to a cheaper provider like 48 months.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

As wandatowell points out comparing the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) over 12 months of a contract phone versus a sim free phone + cheap pay as you go contract is a very good idea.

However two additional things to consider.

- Many people might not have the €550 up front for a sim free phone, but could afford it over a 6/12 month contract.

- A SIM free phone can give you extra flexibility when travelling or switching network if a better deal comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

One major disadvantage to billpay is that your invariably get screwed on non-standard calls and roaming.

With prepay the money comes out of your credit like most "other network" calls. With billpay it is always an addition to your rental.

Also, when you go on holidays the same applies. With prepay you can use your credit to make calls/texts. With billpay not only are you paying for inclusive minutes you cannot use for those weeks, but they also charge you extra for all usage; double billing in effect.

In this country it doesn't pay to be anything but prepay unless your usage is phenomenal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

" A SIM free phone can give you extra flexibility when travelling or switching network if a better deal comes up."

I'm very much agree with that quote
    Its better life without contracts. Especially long term contract..IMHO

Advertisement