Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing terms of employment

Options
  • 22-07-2013 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so George works for small car park in Galway. He is a simple part time attendant. On an average day his daily duties involve a patrol where an employee will check for any open doors and will clean any areas that need attention. When one employee is out on the floor another will remain in the office. The job itself involves some night work and the employees have previously been instructed not to leave the office at night time. During the night work their is only one employee working. When there are two staff one can complete a maintenance check. Now the employer is requesting that the night time employee leaves the office to complete a check of the car park.

Can his employer make him do this? Is this not a changing of the terms and conditions of employment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It sounds more like changing a work practise. What is George's concern about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The place of work is a well known hot spot for drug abusers and a trained member of security was assaulted twice in the car park in the past 12 months. The changing of conditions is a response to this without explicitly stating it.

My health is my concern

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ok, so rather than a flat-out refusal, some questions about "how are we going to manage the security aspects, what do I do if I find someone shooting up" are in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

It would not be changing the terms and condtions of employment in my opinion but rather modifying the tasks ,which an employer is free to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I agree, the contract isn't changing, the duties are. So unless the duties are listed in the contract there is nothing to change in the contract.

However, I totally see the point about H&S issue and safe lone working practices and I would be pushing the employer to ensure there are safeguards in place for your wellbeing and security.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Explain that you are concerned about your personal safety.

Remind your employer of previous incidents.

Politely request a health and safety assessment.

Advertisement