Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battle Of The Phone Networks

Options
  • 22-07-2013 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I made this thread to discuss which phone network is best. I want to hear your opinions on who your with, why your with them and why you don't move to another network. This has probably already been done before but I'd thought I'd make a new one.

There a four core networks,

Vodafone

O2

Meteor

Three
    (Who I'm Currently With)

Then there is Tesco and eMobile which I don't think has alot of users.

I'm with Three because I like there deal which is when you top up by 20 euro you get free texts, calls on the weekend, calls to three people and unlimited data throughout Ireland for a month.

Which Network? 91 votes

Vodafone
    0% 0 votes
    O2
    19% 18 votes
    Meteor
    13% 12 votes
    Three
    21% 20 votes
    Other (Tesco/ eMobile)
    45% 41 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EireLemon

BUMP!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 regana

I am with O2, reasons being
    1. 40 euro per month.
    500 min free
    500 Text free
    and the main reason is i got 120 min of free international calls.
    Sim only plan.

i will be more than happy if can get a cheaper package with free international calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Sir_Badshot

Are you serious?

There is no real compitition and they all offer pretty much the same services for the same price.

I have 3's 'Pro Broadbad' because I have no other choice.

Yes I get 60GB fro €35 which no one else does on a dongle but by god its ****e sometimes and dont even bother calling for help.

I had an 'unlimited download account' with vodafone a few years ago- 2 months in they cut me off ( and loads of others here) and ceased to provide the service they were contracted to do for 18 months. Complained to Comreg- nothing.

God help the punter pulling out of a contract early.

I went 100MB over with O2 once on a dongle and got a bill for hundreds.

In short they are all ****$ and we are fish in a barrel. Comreg is a Joke and all of these providers ride us raw.

regana wrote: »
    I am with O2, reasons being
    1. 40 euro per month.
    500 min free
    500 Text free
    and the main reason is i got 120 min of free international calls.
    Sim only plan.

i will be more than happy if can get a cheaper package with free international calls.

You sound to happy.

You sound to happy.

whats "SHILL"

• Advertisement

I take that back Regana,

A shill is someone who is paid to provide good press.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Tesco, because of triple credit.

Tesco, because of triple credit.

Yes, I forgot about them, they do appear to offer a bit more than the other lot. But not on the MBB front yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Just about to switch to '48' even though i'm well outta there age range

20euro a month for Unlimited calls and texts to mobiles (any network) and 5GB data

For a researcher OP yer pretty crap, you forgot Tesco and 48

You sound to happy.

so far as i have to make international calls. and i rarely go out of allocated minutes.....

But still looking for a cheaper deal as sometime 40 euro per month pinch a lot

• Advertisement

EireLemon wrote: »
    I made this thread to discuss which phone network is best. I want to hear your opinions on who your with, why your with them and why you don't move to another network. This has probably already been done before but I'd thought I'd make a new one.

There a four core networks,

Vodafone

O2

Meteor

Three
    (Who I'm Currently With)

Then there is Tesco and eMobile which I don't think has alot of users.

I'm with Three because I like there deal which is when you top up by 20 euro you get free texts, calls on the weekend, calls to three people and unlimited data throughout Ireland for a month.

Why are you so interested? Whats your angle?

Dont fob us off now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Meteor's customer service is nothing short of terrible. Worst experience ever. And good luck to you if you want to try and leave them, they make that process so annoying that it just makes you glad you're leaving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I'm prepay with Three, simply for €20 a month unlimited data.

Free roaming in the UK is handy too, from NI and home quite a bit so that's a bonus.

3G coverage doesn't tend to be too reliable though. Once you leave a city, tends to go to shite. Also issues with it reconnecting to 3G whenever it is dropped.

BUT I have been with Vodafone and Meteor previously and had more complaints about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

eMobile..

€35 a month gets me unlimited calls (Irish mobile and regular landline numbers), unlimited texts, 15GB data, and free access to the eircom Wi-Fi spots around the country
    Yes their back-office operations and customer service has a lot of issues but unlike 3, at least when you escalate you'll get somewhere rather than what may as well be an automated response service!

Use VF and O2 with work and the former has gone badly downhill since they started outsourcing the support to a NI call centre. O2 scores better on this front, but neither are what I'd call competitive vs the other networks.

Were it not for eMobile/3's support issues I'd move the account to one of those, but as it stands I can't take the risk - as I'd say is the case for a lor of corporates.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

regana wrote: »
    so far as i have to make international calls. and i rarely go out of allocated minutes.....

Well could you use Skype, Viber, etc. for international calls instead?

If you could do this, the 48months, €20 per month gets you unlimited calls, texts and 5GB of data.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This poll is flawed, there are only currently 4 physical networks in Ireland:

- Vodafone
    - o2
    - Meteor (Eircom)
    - Three

Three is currently in the process of buying o2, so we will be down to three networks then.

The others are virtual operators who use one of the above networks:

- Tesco on o2
    - 48months on o2
    - eMobile on Meteor
    - Postfone on Vodafone
    - Blueface on 3
    - Lycamobile on o2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

scudzilla wrote: »
    Just about to switch to '48' even though i'm well outta there age range

20euro a month for Unlimited calls and texts to mobiles (any network) and 5GB data

For a researcher OP yer pretty crap, you forgot Tesco and 48

Been with them 2 weeks after 14 years with Vodafone/Eircell never been better off on the phone 24/7

The problem with Tesco is you have to top up in Tesco stores...

The problem with Tesco is you have to top up in Tesco stores...

You can top up at Payzone and PayPoint outlets too, so quite a lot of shops actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

Where can I top up with 48 ?

• Advertisement

bassy wrote: »

Online and PayZone / Omnivend Vending Machines

Via smart phone.. It's only once a month too and you check your useage at any time also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Via smart phone.. It's only once a month too and you check your useage at any time also

How?

How?

Go too the website and sign up and there's top up options and check usage settings

Looks like Three are the most popular network according to this poll

Looks like Three are the most popular network according to this poll

I think it maybe down to the demographics of boards and a badly designed poll.

Three's €20 plan is certainly very popular with young people, who tend to be on boards. Yet the poll doesn't include 48months who are the other very popular network with young people.

For official numbers, a comreg survey done in May 2012 showed:

Vodafone: 43%
    O2: 31%
    Eircom Group: 22%
    3Ireland: 3%
    Other: 1%

Now I expect 3Ireland up and Vodafone/o2 are down 2 or 3% in the past year, but nothing like this poll would indicate!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

I'm currently with e-mobiles Unlimited Plan at €34.50p/m and find it great. I was previously with Meteor on a bill-pay contract but was not given the option of an upgrade on my renewal. Also, the price I was quoted for a renewed sim-only contract was worse than that available online. I didn't find the customer service/sales team made any attempt at maintaining customers.

Ironically, I guess that didn't matter because I ended up moving to e-mobile, which is part of Meteors parent company, Eircom. Anyway, so far I've found customer service to be better than Meteor (usually no wait times on calls, and good response with any queries I've had dealt with to date). Value was also excellent, given that I received a Galaxy S3 with the Unlimited plan for €139, which was a very good deal at the time. It was mentioned on Bargain Alerts here last year.

Just thought I'd share a good experience for once, as usually my experiences with phone companies has been the opposite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BarryT2012

Hi all,

As I am a Eircome lanline customer I am thinking of switching from Vodafone billpay to E-mobiles 40eur a month contract as in my opinion is the best atm.

My only concern is the coverage it offers and how consistent it is?
    Also are there any hidden contract inclusions that I might be missing??

Has anyone done something similar recently and what is there experience?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

bk wrote: »
    For official numbers, a comreg survey done in May 2012 showed:

Vodafone: 43%
    O2: 31%
    Eircom Group: 22%
    3Ireland: 3%
    Other: 1%

Now I expect 3Ireland up and Vodafone/o2 are down 2 or 3% in the past year, but nothing like this poll would indicate!

Seems Three had more market share than your predicting

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/business/item/33682-three-ireland-breaks-even/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Walkman wrote: »
    Seems Three had more market share than your predicting

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/business/item/33682-three-ireland-breaks-even/

They only have 6.7% for mobile users, and 9.4% market share if you include mobile broadband on the latest results. They are the largest market share for mobile broadband with a third of the market so the reason the figures jumps so much then you include mobile broadband. Any other networks market share decreases in % if you include mobile broadband.

Advertisement