Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify this?

• 22-07-2013 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I planted some lavender this year but not the variety shown in photo. This shows what I had hoped for but I sowed a less spectacular type (augustiflora, I think). Anyone know what this one is called? I've seen this type all over this summer and it looks great.Ive also seen it planted next to the species I have and there is no comparison.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,674 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm not great on lavender but the name Hidcote comes to mind, not sure but you could check it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭tara m

Either Lavandula angustifolia 'Hidcote' or 'Munstead' - I grow both...

They both bloom about the same time and the growth habit is very similar, yet...Hidcote is a bit smaller than Munstead. Munstead has slightly more upswept stems, Hidcote is more moundy.

Munstead is very drought resistant...and Hidcote will suffer in hot weather.

The flowers are different...Munstead being a nice clear purple with seperations going up the stalk...
    Where Hidcote is much darker purple and the flowers are closer together going up the stalk.

Best to describe the flower for you to work out what you have....because it's hard to tell which strain you have in photos without seeing the flower stalks close up, but I think your photo is Munstead, from the moundy habit of the plant. And although Munstead is shorter ...there are dwarf strains for both varieties as well, but these are hard to come by unless you visit Hidcote Manor in the UK, I think it's the only place that sells it!

Advertisement