Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SDCC Dogs Now Go To Ashton Pound

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

timshel. wrote: »
    I know that logistically its not great for the large rescue that operates out of Dunboyne pound but I would be more than willing to travel to the pound weekly to take pictures of the dogs and help to transport them?
    Is this something that is even possible?

They have made the decision not to continue with Ashton. While they have a huge following, the level of volunteers who are reliable and consistent are shockingly low. The majority are either Kildare or Meath based and do transport runs regularly (even on their lunchbreaks) so to add another 40mins there and back onto this is not going to work. People say they will volunteer but in reality they start off well, but fade out when the enormity of the work involved becomes too much.

I feel so so sorry for the charity, I really do. They were kept in the dark the whole way through and have basically got the biggest kick in the teeth ever after 7 years of slogging their guts out. The Local Authority have had zero respect for what they have achieved and I am sick to my stomach at the prospects of what is going to happen in Ashton from next week onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭timshel.

Do you think any rescue is going to start operating out of Ashton pound?

Is there any at the moment? The one I thought that worked out of there now seems to deal with Dunboyne.

could someone please PM me the rescue that were (by all accounts) kicked out of Ashton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

It's the one you're thinking of timshel, the one you've worked with before.

So does any rescue work with Ashton now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Any chance any of the larger well recognised animal welfare organisation would help raise the issue both within the media and directly with the council. I know the rescue involved in Dunboyne did great work but seeing as they havent been considered Im wondering if another group might be able to make an appeal on the rescues behalf.

Im just wondering how do can the decision be reversed? What form of public action does it need - an organised demo outside the council offices, public parade, a letter writing campaign? Remember the nappy campaign where people posted huggies and pampers to a Goverment Dept in protest over something, Perhaps we could post off old dog collars to symbolise the dogs that will be killed off by this move.

• Advertisement

timshel. wrote: »
    So does any rescue work with Ashton now?

There's a UK one which is facilitated by an Irish rescue and there's a few smaller private ones helping but they are stretched to capacity with the dogs coming into Ashton already.

Also, to take a dog into rescue from SDCC currently you have to be an approved rescue or pay €25 release fee per dog, although this could be higher now as licence fees have gone up. There are only 2 approved rescues and one is being ignored and the other is full so will be interesting to see if they stick to that little rule of theirs when the pound moves.

Inexile - I don't know of anyone who would make representations on the rescues behalf. If the council won't communicate with the rescue already working from their pound then I can't see them getting into it with another.

Toulouse wrote: »
    Inexile - I don't know of anyone who would make representations on the rescues behalf. If the council won't communicate with the rescue already working from their pound then I can't see them getting into it with another.

I was kind of thinking about the one that offers the neutering vouchers for those on social welfare ;) I absolutely dont want to belittle in anyway the work done by the rescue currently working there but I just another national group may bring more clout to the campaign. Just trying to think a bit outside the box and unfortunately probably clutching at straws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I feel physically sick at this news.

I saw it on the rescues page when all this broke. I just cannot fathom such a complete lack of gratitude and respect is being shown to the rescue. Does anyone know how often these tenders go up? It seems unlikely that it's a yearly thing. I hate that money speaks so loudly :(

I helped out when I could with transport from Dunboyne, and the place was always packed with dogs. It's very, very clear from all the stuff I've heard that Ashtown are going to sacrifice welfare even more than before once they start dealing with the extra dogs.

If I'M feeling this disheartened and I'm only an occasional transporter, I can only imagine how the people running the rescue feel- and if any of them read this I'm so, so sorry that all your hard work and dedication and sacrifices have come to this. Please just think about all the dogs you have helped and all the lives you've changed to date, and know that tonnes of people did/do appreciate everything you've done.

Genuinely don't know what I can do to help. Everything I can think of seems empty. :(

Inexile wrote: »
    I was kind of thinking about the one that offers the neutering vouchers for those on social welfare ;) I absolutely dont want to belittle in anyway the work done by the rescue currently working there but I just another national group may bring more clout to the campaign. Just trying to think a bit outside the box and unfortunately probably clutching at straws

Completely understand where you're coming from and they are aware what's happening. New ideas are all good.

I think the whole crux of the problem here is that SDCC just don't consider the welfare of any dogs that they take in as strays and surrenders to be as important as the bottom line!

Toulouse wrote: »
    I think the whole crux of the problem here is that SDCC just don't consider the welfare of any dogs that they take in as strays and surrenders to be as important as the bottom line!

yes that is the problem but how can they be made consider the welfare of the dogs. Wonder if the TV3 morning programme would take it up. They have some nice animal spots with Pete the Vet and an adoption spot with a rescue.

Either the decision is changed or a means to work with Ashton has to be worked out.

Mind you its all very well for me spouting off sitting as I am down the rear end other country and not much use to any Dublin dogs.

• Advertisement

Could someone please PM me the names of the rescues that are working out of ashton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Can a resident in the SDCC area buy their dog Licence from another local authority which has better animal welfare considerations (if it exists) as a form of protest?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Can a resident in the SDCC area buy their dog Licence from another local authority which has better animal welfare considerations (if it exists) as a form of protest?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/sec0003.html#sec3

Unfortunately not.
    The license must be bought in the "functional area" in which the dog usually lives. The functional area is described in the definitions as the area covered by the relevant local authority.

Advertisement