Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swimming Qualifications

• 22-07-2013 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Hi all! I'm planning on getting myself some sort of certificate/qualification in swimming but I am having trouble figuring out what exactly are the recognised swimming qualifications. Is there some sort of hierarchy? For example, in first aid the the are PHECC qualifications which start out at CFR and then advance to OFA, EFR, EMT, Paramedic and Advanced Paramedic.

I see there is the lifeguard qualification which can be done with either IWS or RLSS. Are there other qualifications at a more basic standard than lifeguard which would be nationally recognised?

I would consider doing the lifeguard course, but I suspect you'd need a very high swimming ability before you start the course? I swam for years as a kid but it's been a few years now and although I'm increasing the number of lenghts I can do again my technique has most likely suffered. Should I get lessons first?

Any help appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

on holidays at the moment, so short reply. Do all swimming courses through swim Ireland. Check out their website for all information. You will need to complete a working with children course before attending any course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭swimforever

Do you want to go down the swim teaching route or lifeguarding?

As you have discovered, pool lifeguarding qualifications go through either IWS or RLSS. You don't need prior qualifications for either of these, but as part of both courses there is a timed element where you have to do an approach and carry within a certain time. I can't remember the exact details of the distance and time, it's a while since I've done it! I know that you don't have to be very speedy to do it, but you would have to be a relatively strong swimmer (makes sense if you're going to be employed to save people's lives!). IWS also run beach lifeguarding courses (the pool lifeguard course doesn't cover you to work on beaches). I don't know if you have to have your pool lifeguard done before you can apply for this. I'd imagine that they are probably done with these courses for this year anyway, they are usually run in the lead-up to the summer.

IWS also run a series of lifesaving courses that lead up to their pool lifeguard course. They run these during the year at different pools and during the summer at a number of open water locations. They are mainly for kids/teenagers who are too young to do their lifeguard course I think though (minimum age is 16) and they do not qualify you to work in the area - they're really just a way of working up through the material slowly I think rather than having to learn everything in 10 weeks in the pool lifeguard course.

Alternatively, if you want to become a swimming teacher, take okane1's advice. The Swim Ireland courses are the recognised standard across Irish pools from my experience. You start off with a Level 1 teaching aquatics which qualifies you as an assistant teacher (teaching alongside a full teacher). You then have to do a certain number of teaching hours somewhere before you can do Level 2, which qualifies you to be a full teacher. You can also take other courses to qualify you for a range of other things like swim or water polo coaching, teaching aquafit, etc. Some have prerequisites, others don't. There is more info here: http://www.swimireland.ie/education-development/teachercoach-courses/.

Hope that all helps :)

Advertisement