Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2013 DCM training log

Options
  • 22-07-2013 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

It's getting tough to fit the DCM into a title this year and avoid plagiarism, but I'm giving it a shot !
    Some serious copying and paste from a past log.

Hi all, I'm starting a log here for myself, but its open to any and all who want to log their plans & training miles for The Dublin City Marathon this year. The last few logs have been a great motivational tool and there was great advise along the way which really did help me personally come race day.
    Might be a few weeks too late for some plans ( mines a 15 week plan ), but just pop it in if youre interested.

Quote the post and just edit out the quote section top & bottom to add your own details.

Name|Plan|Week|Weekly Sessions Completed|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic Sub3.00|1|7|64.2 km| 64.2 km |Aiming for the elusive 3.15 again :)
    ||||||
    ||||||
    ||||||

I've missed the 3.15 target in my past two marathons. Came in at 3.16 last year in Dublin , which tbh blew me away as I didn't think I could come near the target. Trained hard for Cork this year, but the heat and a dodgey sports drink at the half-way mark took their toll on me at the 23mile mark, and came home in 3.18. This time I've changed my plan - I'm doing sub3.00 training miles at 3.15 paces. Hopefully the additional 10-15 miles per week will have the desired affect.

Mr.W

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Name|Plan|Week|Weekly Sessions Completed|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic Sub3.00|2|4|46.2 km| 110.4 km |3 sessions missed:(
    ||||||
    ||||||
    ||||||

Have had a sore left knee since a badly judged 'recovery' run after the Cork City Marathon in June. Been running with an uncomfortable feeling just above the knee , but enough was enough this week. Went to physio who worked on scar tissue for over an hour with her elbow...nice ( where's the smilie with tears? ).
    More physio to come until its sorted.

Still did the 12m lsr though on Sunday :D

Mr.W

Tough decision time today !:(
    Got up after night shift to do my scheduled run , with my knee still aching.
    It's not stopping me from running at the moment, not even affecting my training times, but it is worrying me silly.
    Have decided to stop training until the pain goes.
    Physio on friday, probably going to need a psychiatrist to stop the
    brain going loco after a few days of not running !!

Not happy, Mr.W

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Hope it all clears up soon, Mr Wiggle. I'll be keeping an eye on your log to see how you're getting on! Best of luck with the training. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

How's the injury now mr. wiggle?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Any progress on the knee? Did you at least find a good shrink? :)

• Advertisement

| |3|2|18.5km| 129 km |2 sessions then stopped training :(
    | |4|1|6km|135km| Short run after 3 physio sessions to check injury
    | |5|6|74km|209km| Back into it making sure i warm-up, warm-down, stretch and roll each evening :D
    | |6|6|78km|287km|Keeping speed down for the mo & LSR's picking up
    | |7|6|81km|368km| All seems fine, head still worried I'm doing to many miles too soon ( not stopping though!:pac:)
    | |8|4|55.7km|425.7km|Eased back this week for Bandon 1/2m on Sunday, paced not raced to perfection (1.32)
    ||||||

Thank God I'm back running.
    Gave it a couple of weeks break then another couple of weeks training before starting my log again.
    It turned out to be major scar tissue above the knee that was having some strange effects on my knee cap when running.
    A few physio sessions where I had to just HTFU and take the pain, and now its just constant foam rolling in the evenings in an attemt to break down the 'little-lump' thats left. :eek:
    Have picked the training pace up this week since gaining much needed confidence at the Cork(bandon) 1/2M where I paced 1.35 for a running buddy till the last mile when he let me go, for a sub6min last mile. I'm sure I musta looked hilarious the last couple of hundred meters, arms pumping and a big serious head on me sprinting to the finish line:pac:
    Looking forward to going for a PB now next week in Charleville. Tune in to see if I blow up in the meantime!:eek:

And I didn't need a shrink CC, but a nice slow browse in Amphibian King , Limerick, did end with me leaving with a smile on my face !!
    Can't beat a lovely shiney new pair of runners for a pick me up!!:D
    ( Still hidden in the boot of my car in case the wife spots them :o )

Mr.W

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Fair play Mr.Wiggle, and plenty of time to get the work in too for 3:14:59. :) Glad to hear the knee has cleared up. Don't worry about blowing up in Charleville, sure the aim is DCM anyway!

| |5|6|74km|209km| Back into it making sure i warm-up, warm-down, stretch and roll each evening :D
    | |7|6|81km|368km| All seems fine, head still worried I'm doing to many miles too soon ( not stopping though!:pac:)
    | |8|4|55.7km|425.7km|Eased back this week for Bandon 1/2m on Sunday, paced not raced to perfection (1.32)
    | |9|5|80km|505km| Goods week training finished off with 20mile LSR
    ||||||

Another weeks training complete without any set backs, can only be a good thing ! Had to run the 20 mile LSR on Sunday , after work which was really draining. Legs pretty sore now. Don't know how some of you throw PMP miles in your LSR's, I never have the energy for it after a hard weeks training?
    All guns blazing now for the Charleville 1/2M next Sunday, sub 1.30 here I come !

Mr.W

Ah Irony , dontcha love it ! :P
    3 things happened Monday this week to me which when added up....

1. Didn't listen to my head, but listened to 'the plan' and ran a 5 miler after being completely knackered after Sundays LSR

2. Convinced my boy to meet for a 1km warm down afterwards ( to get him off the xbox )

3. Gave said boy a 5 sec head start with 50m to go , to see who could get in the gate first...

So 1 plus 2 plus, testosterone motivated no.3, equals Right Hamstring Strain - lovely !!

No Tues run, only half a run wed and now rest till saturday to see if it clears up.
    I'm sure this makes it 3 out of 3 training plans where I swear I won't follow them religiously when tired then ignore my own advice and get injured.

All I can say is, lesson learned
    :rolleyes:

Mr.W

| |10|2 1/2|40.5km|545.5 km|Bad start to week, ended off on a high :D
    ||||||

As per my previous post, not listening to my body cost me in terms of runs and miles complete this week. No Tuesday tempo session followed by an aborted 10 miler on Wednesday had me fearing for Sundays 1/2 Marathon in Charleville. Complete rest on Thur, fri and Sat was just what the doctor ordered. Went for a small run with my son on sat morning and everything felt fine with the hamstring so I was looking forward to the race.
    Up early Sunday morning for a bagel, porridge and banana - all eyes on the prize ( sub 1.30 and giving akw a good beating :P ), even at this stage!
    Rounded up the family and got us all to Charleville with 20 minutes to go.
    Met a buddy who I had promised I'd pace him to a 1.32 pb, gave him his number and chip and then off to find akw and any other boardsie's I could spot. Met akw sporting his best wasp coloured gear ;) , had a good chat where he informed me he was sticking to his Amst.marathon plan, and the 'smack-down' was off . Its been deferred till November to keep us motivated after our Oct. Marathons, oh the suspense :pac:!
    The starting gun caught me by surprise and we were off.

Took off with the buddy just behind the 1.30 pacers meaning to let them
    go on ahead . The buddy had other ideas and charged on ahead of them, caught up in the excitement of the start I guess. ( This guy is a seasoned racer so it shows how easy it is to get carried away at the start ).
    I stayed where I was as I knew he'd come looking for me eventually.
    Sure enough after passing the first mile marker ( 6.45 ) he dropped back to my pre-determined 7 min pace.
    The next three miles went by with the heat building and me making a big mistake by not holding onto the bottle of water at the first station. Was absolutely hanging for water over the next 3 miles as the clouds had decided to stay away and the sun was belting down. By mile 4 I had aleady seen 4 runners pull out with various injuries and this started playing on my mind.
    Decided to really concentrate on the pace to take my mind off anything else.
    Miles 2-4 : 7.01, 7.00, 7.01
    Charleville advertises itself as the flatest 1/2 marathon course and I'm not argueing this fact, but the times from miles 5 to 7 dipped a bit as the gradient increased. Nothing much comes to mind about these 3 miles, but I felt relieved to get to the half way mat and get a bottle of water ( which I hung on to ! ). Miles 5 - 7 : 7.08, 7.09, 7.04
    As stated at the start, the plan was to get the buddy a 1.32 and myself a sub 1.30. It took a bit of thinking the night before, but i had put together a crude pace-band ( always wear one , if not two every race, along with a garmin. My mind needs something to fixate on I think!?).
    I decided if I could get the buddy to half way doing 7 min miles, he'd be able to keep it going himself for the second half once I started to chase down the 1.30 pacers. He was delighted with the pace, feeling really comfortable and told me to push on once we crossed the mat.
    From running this last year I knew the first mile out of Kilmallock was 'downhill' so upped the tempo to make the most of it. Once I started passing runners it gave me a big lift,so head up , see who's ahead of me and pass them. Akw had warned me that the wind would be in my face for the run home and he was bang on. I found myself trying to get close to ditches or other runners to get some shelter but as my pace was faster than the runners in front that proved fruitless really. It wasn't until mile 9 that the increased pace started having an effect on me. My body wanted to slow down , but the head was having none of it ! 'See that runner in front of you? - Ya - 'well, just pass him/her and we'll take it from there !'
    Miles 8 - 10 : 6.41, 6.48, 6.54
    When 6.54 flashed up at mile 10 it gave me a knock. No way was I gonna catch the 1.30 pacers if I stayed at this pace. So with legs groaning and breathing picking up , I gave myself a push. I read a report a few weeks earlier saying exactly that - give yourself a push and you will be amazed.
    Well amazed was the last thing that came to my mind, but push on I did.
    By my calculations I should be seeing the green bobbing balloons a mile out ( it is a fairly straight run home ), and I was getting desperate by mile 12 to see them. The times had come down nicely but no sign of the 1.30 group. Thinking back now I reckon I was passing most of the bunch that had gone with them. There were a lot of runners walking by now with the heat after taking its toll. I remember seeing a couple of kids with a hose, but I asked them not to splash me as I didn't need a jolt at this stage.
    Miles 11 & 12 : 6.46, 6.47
    And so onto the last mile and a bit. My head was begining to over-heat and I wasn't feeling dizzy, but i knew I pushing my limits.
    There was no way I was going to slow though. i wanted that Sub 1.30 and where the hell were those balloons? The last km is for all intensive purposes, all uphill really, mentally as well :pac:
    No balloons, but shag this, pick it up come on !!
    Drove on up the incline before turning left onto the home straight. Crowd egging me on now and I knew my family would be waiting around here. Passing runners now at a crazy rate. No chance of a sub 1.30 but pb here I come is all I'm thinking. Family shouting like crazy at the enterance to the finishing straight. I look up and see 1.30 on the clock 100meters away.
    "GUN IT" - not knowing if I could , went flat out. Crossed the line with 1.30.53 on the clock. I spent the next 30 secs hanging onto the railings until my son gave me a shout. Out of the pen, walked a few meters and then sweaty hugs and kisses all around. "well done Dad" - the three best words you'll ever hear from your kids!
    Mile 13 - 6.48, the bit - unsure

Chip time has me at 1:30:39 so its a pb by 68 secs :D
    Given the heat , I'm over the moon. Sure , I woulda loved to dip under 1.30 but that will keep me training harder for the next half, and dare I say it, The show down !! Dun, dun, dun...:pac:

The next big challenge for Mr.W ? To stay injury free till Dublin !

P.s. The heat affected my running buddy badly in the last 3 miles, he ended up with a 3.30 minute positive split, so no pb. Next year again for all of us !!

Mr.W.

• Advertisement

| |11|7|90 km|635.5 km|Nice LSR Sat. with eagle a.c. :)
    ||||||

A great weeks training. Substituted my planned 20 mile Sunday (slog )LSR with a lovely 20 mile 'guided' LSR with John Desmond & other eagle A.C. members on Saturday instead. Started in Cork City centre and ranout the old cork-crosshaven railway line route, with John pointing out any & all old railway features. It really was a lovely run with a great bunch of fellow railway anoraks running enthusiasts :D
    Its a must do again sometime soon !
    Take a look at cork running blogspot for a short article on it, and you might even spot a tired & wet Mr.Wiggle !!:cool:

Mr.W.

| |12|5|73.5km|709km|Tough midweek sessions got me !:mad:
    ||||||

Great start and end to the week but the Tueday and Thursday fast sessions really got to me. I think i'd hit a bad stage mentally on Thursday where I just wanted to pack in the training and just wait for race day to come around.
    Gave myself Friday off and did my 20 mile LSR ( 8min/mile pace) on Saturday in glorious Sunshine :). My legs were in bits on Sunday during a hard paintballing session. So much so, I think I really should have worn my garmin so I coulda included that in my training log. :pac:

Hurry up the 28th....!!

Mr.W.

Really struggling to do training runs the past two weeks.
    Once I get out the door to do them all is fine, its just
    the motivation doesn't seem to be there at the mo.
    Feeling really lethargic, tired, sore etc...the list goes on.
    Never had a slump like this before, struggling to understand it really ?
    I'm gonna focus in on what I'm eating from now till Dublin, maybe
    I need more recovery foods or something ?
    Anyone gone thru the same thing and survived ??:confused:
    ( yes,I know, I am quite the drama queen!)
    Mr.W

| |13|5|64km|773km|Early runs missed, LSR was nailed :D
    ||||||

That paintballing session came back to haunt me on Mon evening/ Tuesday morning. Was barely able to stretch my legs on Tuesday morning so gave my physio a call for help. She was able to fit me in Tuesday evening TG, and worked her miracles on my seized hammies. Note for next race...no paintballing the day after a 20miler !! :o
    Missed Tuesday and Wed runs but thurs to Sunday runs were all great.
    And thanks for all the advise guys, it worked a treat!!:P
    More food equalled happier mind and body!!

Mr.W.

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Really struggling to do training runs the past two weeks.
    Once I get out the door to do them all is fine, its just
    the motivation doesn't seem to be there at the mo.
    Feeling really lethargic, tired, sore etc...the list goes on.
    Never had a slump like this before, struggling to understand it really ?
    I'm gonna focus in on what I'm eating from now till Dublin, maybe
    I need more recovery foods or something ?
    Anyone gone thru the same thing and survived ??:confused:
    ( yes,I know, I am quite the drama queen!)
    Mr.W

I love logs...now !:)
    The slump last week was really bugging me ( too much time on my hands I'd say ), so I just checked last years DCM log, and vi-o-la..
    The 8th of Oct last year
    mr.wiggle wrote: »
    No|Name|Plan|Week|Weekly Sessions|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    18|Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic sub3.30|12|5|82km|743km| Got all runs in, but motivation levels have dropped. Need the next 3 weeks to fly by!!

Seems to be 'one of those things' with so many hi-milage weeks taking its toll.

So I don't feel too bad now....or do I ?? ( Might need to train harder for next year ! :P )

| |14|6|51km|824km| No last LSR :(
    ||||||

It wasn't for the lack of wanting, but night shift and family commitments meant I just could not fit in the last 12 mile LSR on the weekend. I'm a small bit upset about misisng it, but I should have enough miles in the legs now to tackle the job in hand !!
    I'm actually enjoying the taper this week, but its not going to be ideal conditions for me leading up to race weekend as I can't get a holiday SAt. night, meaning i'll be travelling up Sunday tired and emotional and there is just no way my body is going to come down from night shift mode and allow me sleep properly Sunday night. I'll just have to catch up on the Zzz's monday night !!:pac:

| |14|6|51km|824km| No last LSR :(
    | |15|3|23.5km|847.5km| No weekend runs

Alright then.
    The training petered out badly this week, no time from Friday on, to do a few leg stretchers. Nerves shot this evening, trying to remind myself I have and can do this !! If the wind keeps up for the morning, i'm just gonna go out with the 3.30 group and enjoy the day. If it eases off sufficiently, I'm gonna kill myself for the sub 3.15 and then enjoy myself!!:pac:

Good luck to us all !!

Mr. W

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Congrats on a great performance!

Beef wrote: »
    Congrats on a great performance!

Thanks Beef, I have to admit it was the toughest, most unenjoyable run ( for several reasons ) I've done, so far...reasons below !

Apologies to my vast army of followers ( Mrs.W & wiggle juniors ) for not finishing off this log with the race report sooner , but I just didn't have the splits until today. Plus, I really cannot remember a lot of the day as my head got wrecked very early on in the race... I reckon this is going to be a log of what not to do the weekend of a race..

Was working weekend nights leading up to DCM including the BankHoliday weekend, so headed up to the expo on Sunday afternoon with me dozing in the passenger seat. Turned on Navigation on the outskirts of Dublin only to realise it wasn't working. Cue endless phonecalls to brother-in-law to get directions to RDS and 90mins of in car stress. Enjoyed the expo ( must remember to bring photo-id next time ), and off we went to Kildare to stay with big sister Wiggle for the night. Actually got a good sleep Sun night :confused:
    Up early, good breakfast , 3.13 (7.21 pace) pace-band on, and hassle free spin in with Wiggle fan club .
    Met buddy outside the dail where he gave me his garmin 405 ,set up for time, distance and running pace ( we'll take note of this point for later :rolleyes: )
    Extra t-shirts, hat, gloves and bin-bags were order of the day as it really was biting cold with a fresh breeze. But, as we all know, it shoulda and coulda been a lot worse with that storm passing south of us that Sunday night.
    Off to the pens with our wives best wishes following us. Slotted in halfway between the 3.10 and 3.20 pacers ( somehow a few of us boards.ies trying for 3.15 really never got it together ). Thanks to another boardsie for recommending having a widemouth bottle handy, cause use it i did. :)
    Off came the bin bag and extra t-shirt and we were off. My runing buddy dropped back straight away as he was aiming for an easy life and targeted 3.30.
    Miles 1 - 13
    7.45, 7.18, 7.30, 7.18, 7.12, 7.28, 7.16, 7.05, 7.04, 7.31, 7.17, 7.35, 7.42

There's a reason for me giving the splits in two chunks....I cannot remember most of the race...seriously. My head has been wrecked since the race, as I seem to be able to remember last years race in much more detail..
    I remember thinking the first mile was much more crowded than last year and it was harder to get into my pace. The first mile flashed up 7.45 and soon after the 3.20 pacers closed in on me and I put a spurt on. And here is where it all goes wrong...I'm wearing a log sleeve top due to the cold, whereas I usually wear a singlet. The buddy had never locked the garmin, i never found out how to, so.. my sleeve starts hitting the bezel and poof, the set-up is gone, and the next 24 miles are spent fretting over pace and me constantly tapping the bezel :(
    Luckliy or unluckily , the splits do keep popping up, but I have no clue of my total running time as I pass each mile marker and I find I'm speeding up one mile and slowing down the next mile :(. I take no notice of my surroundings, and the only thought on my mind is stay behind groups to ease the effects of the gusts of wind.
    Passing over the half-way mat I see, ( i think ) , 1.38 something or other..
    Miles 14 to 26.2
    7.22, 7.11, 7.32, 7.20, 7.21, 7.21, 7.41, 7.32, 7.13, 7.23, 7.40, 7.30, 7.35
    (the bit -.55 , 8.35)

Here I remember thinking I'm just off a 3.15 finish so pick it up and fight the gusts.
    Nothing that I can remember really between the half-way mark and mile 20, apart from the absolutley fantastic support along the route. I must say a big thank you to each and everyone who lined the route cheering, clapping, calling out names and offering much needed support to hard pressed runners. It does and did keep me going when after mile 20 I just wanted to stop. The cheering zone up heart-break hill stands out big time as I found myself passing out a zombie who was getting huge shouts..( saw him in paper later, as he made it into the guiness book of records for the fastest zombie to run a marathon...3.18 )
    It was about this time maybe mile 21 when I had decided I was just going to stop as I felt drained and broken. I happened to look to my right and there was a lady just standing there holding a placard with the words - Dig Deep and Carry on - in big black painted letters ( Now I was zonked so the words might be mixed up ). I just stared at this for a good few seconds, it really was surreal, she was not cheering or anything just holding this sign which summed up everything I needed..I can remember thinking of the months of training runs, of trying to find the time to do the training, of everything really that led up to me standing at the start-line ,aiming for a pb of 3.15.
    "We'll fcuk-this anyways" goes thru my head and unbelievably I push on - A BIG BIG thank you to who-ever that lady was!! I don't think I will ever forget that moment. ( Bloody hell, I'm nearly tearing up here thinking about it :o )
    Looking at my splits now it had to be mile 22 cause I go from a 7.32 to a 7.13Next memory is seeing the 4km to go, then the 2km to go marks.
    I start repeating a mantra then, 1km to go, just keep going..
    Not knowing where the finish line is, ( seriously ) , I am holding nothing back.
    I hear a scream from my wife which snaps me out of my daze. She's shouting like crazy and makes me think I must be close to my target. I look up as I round a corner and see the finish line and 3.15 on the clock. Sh1t, go on try and sprint for it... I try , but I'm not sure you would call it sprinting.
    Cross the line with 3.15.58 on the clock, and think I might have just done it..

My left ITB locks up, which means I'm dragging my left leg along the ground collecting my medal , goodie bag and t-shirt. Well done's all around by everyone and met a few buddies in the stretching / warm down tent. Couldn't last more than a few minutes with the pain so limped off to find my gang. Met them and got a great rub down from Mrs.W ( nothing too dirty ;) )
    , which meant I could walk to the car.
    Got a text later confiriming a 3.15.22 finish , no sub 3.15 for me but a PB in tough enough conditions, so me is a happy enough Mr.Wiggle.
    Official times
    Event 2013 Airtricity Dublin
    Race Marathon
    Date 28/10/2013
    Gender Male
    Gender Position 892 of 10233
    Category M40
    Category Position 206 of 2059
    Club
    10K 00:46:21
    Stage Position 1380
    Half 01:37:29
    Stage Position 1336
    20Mile 02:28:44
    Stage Position 1150
    Gun Time 03:15:58
    Overall Position 932
    Chip Time 03:15:22
    Chip Position 919

Positives...really enjoyed the training and I finished without having to stop!

Lessons to learn...where do I begin..
    Get my own Garmin! ( xmas pressie to come from Mrs.W :D )
    Either figure out the Dublin city road system or get a proper working sat-nav !
    Learn to enjoy the occassion and don't let targets ruin the day !

I think the last one is going to be tough as I find myself running these for times and times alone...this might change the more I do maybe :confused:

And another log done..I'm gonna enjoy looking back at this next year
    and completely ignoring any lessons to be learnt :P

Mr.W

P.s. Bloody hell, imagine the size of the post if I could remember the race !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Good stuff Mr. W sounds like you needed to really dig in for that. Congrats on a great time :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement