Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from smart telecom to efibre

• 22-07-2013 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Has anyone here moved over from a smart telecom unbundled line directly to efibre or is this possible?

I notice the efibre availability checker doesnt recognise any smart telecom landline numbers as they are not on the eircom database and I'm worried when a cabinet comes to my area that i wont be on the database because eircom dont own my number.

Anyone had any experiences / issues with this or am i worrying about nothing?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You wouldnt have to move to Eircom (if that is what you are wondering about) as Digiweb who own Smart should be able to offer you a fibre product. However there was some criticism here of what Digiweb were offering to fibre customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

I am in the same situation. I just hope there won't be ridiculous additional costs for "installation", while the same gear is used. Some ISPs offers transparent broadband transfers, hope this is the same with smart and efibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi Mgit, i am having a really really hard time at the minute trying to switch from smart telecom to vf efibre, my neighbour 2 dooors away has it so i know it`s enabled in my area the cabinet is less than 500 metres from my house and we are both on the same exchange with our phone service, i don`t think it`s smart telecom`s fault and i cannot see it being vf as they surely want to sign up as many customers as possible, i think it`s more likely to be eircom somehow, just my opinion of course, but i have seen other post`s on here saying it should be no more or less trouble than transferring from any another provider, but for some reason it is, at least in my case anyway, i signed up for a transfer to vf in may and am still waiting.
    good luvk,

apophis :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

apophis wrote: »
    Hi Mgit, i am having a really really hard time at the minute trying to switch from smart telecom to vf efibre, my neighbour 2 dooors away has it so i know it`s enabled in my area the cabinet is less than 500 metres from my house and we are both on the same exchange with our phone service, i don`t think it`s smart telecom`s fault and i cannot see it being vf as they surely want to sign up as many customers as possible, i think it`s more likely to be eircom somehow, just my opinion of course, but i have seen other post`s on here saying it should be no more or less trouble than transferring from any another provider, but for some reason it is, at least in my case anyway, i signed up for a transfer to vf in may and am still waiting.
    good luvk,

Hi apophis,

Did your line pass as capable of efibre or did they flat out refuse to take the order and say that your line wasnt on an efibre enabled exchange or something like that?
    I'm thinking I may be better switch to vodafone or eircom now before efibre is in my area.
    I'll be snookered though if efibre doesnt come to my area as i'll be tied into a 1 year contract and wont be able to switch to digiweb metro fixed wireless or other alternatives if it doesnt come.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi Mgit, i signed up originally because my line showed up as capable, but somewhere between than and now i have encountered a series of setbacks, as i said earlier, vf say i will get sorted eventually but my god its been a headache, also checked with eircom before i chose to go with vf and they also said my line was capable of efibre.
    At the minute waiting for a call back from vf hopefully before the end of the week to get an update on my status. Personally if i had to do this over again i would have waited longer, i am now paying 32euro a month for standard bb with speeds of between 6 and 7 down, where as when i was with smart telecom i was paying 29.95 for speeds of between 11 and 12 down. My ping times have stayed practically the same.
    again good luck,

• Advertisement
Advertisement