Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homebirth and GP question

• 22-07-2013 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭

hey :)

so, I'm hoping to have a homebirth (due end of sept) and have been attending my GP as well as community midwife (in Holles St). So far i've been to the GP three time the first time was just a locum doctor, at the second visit (18wks) i was still only considering a homebirth but have since fully decided to go ahead with it. last week i met with my GP (30 wks) and told her that im going ahead with a homebirth but she was anxious because she had some issue in the past with some patient who insisted she attend her homebirth and is essentially a bit freaked that she will be under some legal obligation to attend my homebirth.
    she said she wanted to call Holles st and find out what her legal obligations are etc. i asked her if i would have to change GP and she just said that she wanted to call them first and see what the story is....:confused:

im just worried that she'll refuse to see me anymore and that i'd have to find another GP late in my pregnancy...not ideal!
    just wondering if there's any of you out there who have had a similar experience or have heard of anything like this before..?
    any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Do you want her to attend? Just tell her you don't need her there and problem solved, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

hi pwurple, thanks for the reply
    yea i told her about 10 times that i dont want her there but i guess she is just covering her herself or whatever but im just anxious that this could drag on and the end result will be that ill have to change GP or that it could mess up my homebirth plans somehow...ill see a midwife next week so might just wait and see what she says..thing is i get the feeling theres little communication between them bar the notes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

My GP had absolutely nothing to do with my homebirth and afaik didn't even know I was having one. I dealt purely with the midwife. I'm not in Ireland though. I got a lot of support and information from my local home birth support group. Have you been in touch with them? You can find them at homebirth.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

Hi, when I informed my gp that I'm having home birth she just told me that for her insurance purposes she need to let me know she is not an obstetrician and she asked me if I'm still happy to continue to be under her care. That's it. My visits were still free.
    Maybe she should get in touch with HSE but my GP got a letter from them with all the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

The home birth association of Ireland might be useful for information.
    As far as I know, gp's don't typically attend home births, just your midwife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

I too believed that a GP doesn't attend a homebirth, just a midwife. If there were any complications and need for a doctor, an ambulance would be called. Your GP wouldn't be any more use than your midwidfe (and truth be told would probably be no use at all!). Could just be that this recent case where the HSE wouldn't cover a midwife for a home birth is in the front of your GP's mind. I would say, as liliq recommends, contact the homebirth association and the HSE yourself, and then you know exactly what is needed/required etc.

good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

i never wanted her there and told her so but i think she just thinks ill change my mind and insist or whatever but thankfully its all been sorted now. midwives have made an exception and will see me for all appointments which im much happier about. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I too believed that a GP doesn't attend a homebirth, just a midwife. If there were any complications and need for a doctor, an ambulance would be called.

Fwiw I transferred to hospital during two planned homebirths and both times the midwife just drove me in her car. Neither was an emergency situation though, things just weren't progressing satisfactorily at home. The midwife made the call. That's why IMO you need a midwife that you trust and also who has a good relationship with the hospital.

Advertisement