Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pop-Up Tent Purchased From Argos: Broken

Options
  • 22-07-2013 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Hi there, So I purchased a tent to the value of 89.95 from Argos on the 11th of June of this year. I decided to take it from the bag exactly 10 days ago and put it up, which I did so with no problems and with little difficulty.

However, when I was taking the tent down from the garden in an attempt to mow the lawn, the frame snapped when a small amount of force was placed on it. The force was NOT excessive, as I barely placed my hand on it. It was necessary for me to push down the top of the tent in order for it to fold back into a small space.

Now, the tent will not erect whatsoever, the frame on the top is completely damaged and I am very annoyed after paying out a large amount of money for it.

I want to return it to Argos as soon as possible, but have managed to misplace the receipt. I paid by card and have a statement proving that I purchased it on that day, to that price and in that store, would this suffice as proof of purchase?

Does anyone know what the chances are of me being reimbursed by money? Or even receiving a replacement? I am afraid that when they look at the frame they'll think it was excessive force that broke it, when it reality it was barely touched or used.

Does anyone know the best way to go about looking for a refund or replacement? Should I call the store first and let them know of what happened? I'm sorry if all this seems childish, but I am quite young and have never had to return an item so quickly after purchasing it before.

Thank you for all answers received in advanced, it's greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Yes, Card statements are acceptable.

Going by what you say, the product was not fit for purpose.
    I would request a replacement if I were you.
    Just don't go in kicking and screaming like a bold child :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Why is it always Argos that people think are going to try and do them when they're generally so good. OP let me stare into my crystall ball for you...

Yes... clearer... clearer...

The manager of Liffey Valley was out last night and is hung over on the morning you go in... that's not good for you... Ah but I see you then try Dundrum when the Area manager is in and they do it for you!

Okay flippant comments aside.

Lack of receipt - not an issue a card payment and statement puts the onus on them to disprove the purchase so thats covered.

Replacement/Repair/Refund - firstly why are you looking for a refund? That always sets my spidey-retail sense tingling. Eying that €80 barbecue in homebase are we? Look for a replacement - you'll get further when there's any doubt as to who broke it.

Going in/phoning - go in; less likely to get a basic policy statement.

In short, just bear in mind you're dealing with another human being and treat them how you'd want to be treated. If they don't agree, try another store. If you then don't get any joy make a post here and we'll steer you right. That said many people seem delighted with Argos.

Apologies for my flippant start but sometimes I need to have a roll-eyes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Long spiel aside, you have a credit card statement, so that is sufficient for proof of purchase. Just go in and clearly state what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Smash The House

Just bring it back.
    Argos are care free when it comes to returns in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Argos are one of the good guys when it comes to returns, in my experience, bring it back and see what they say first.

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Awh thanks a million for the replies guys! :)

• Site Banned Posts: 7 Ablitive

These pop up tents are a disaster.

Bought one about five years ago in Spain, used it once, never again.

Can'r even carry them on the back of a motorbike.

Difficult enough to dismantle sober never mind being drunk!

Ablitive wrote: »
    These pop up tents are a disaster.

Bought one about five years ago in Spain, used it once, never again.

Can'r even carry them on the back of a motorbike.

Difficult enough to dismantle sober never mind being drunk!

Stop I know! In fact it was the "ease of dismantling" advertising that caused me to fork out 90 quid for a tent in the first place, and then for it to break during dismantling! Disaster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

I love mine!

2" up 45" down (When you've mastered it).

I love mine!

2" up 45" down (When you've mastered it).

I'd probably love mine if it didn't break haha :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement