Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ideas how i might liven this area up More?

• 22-07-2013 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭

Just want to make this place more eye catching

Thanks

photo22_zps9d591f53.jpg

photo23_zps7cfdf50e.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Just my opinion...

1. The shrub is very nice but IMHO its misplaced.. I'd have put it to one corner, where it is it has created two even smaller dark spaces, but you may not want to move it.
    2. Stain the whole fencing a uniform colour, the side panels are fine, the back one looks tired.
    3. Put down some mypex and get some light cream coloured gravel over the whole corner, the two corners are dark - maybe a moderate sized flowering climber going up each corner....

An alternative job in that corner would have been a gravel base, a nice seat tucked in. PLant some nice lavendar along the sides and aromatic climbers in the corners so on a sunny evening you could sit out and the scent would be close and held in the corner. Maybe a little shelf each side for a glass of wine..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

bbam wrote: »
    An alternative job in that corner would have been a gravel base, a nice seat tucked in. PLant some nice lavendar along the sides and aromatic climbers in the corners so on a sunny evening you could sit out and the scent would be close and held in the corner. Maybe a little shelf each side for a glass of wine..;)

I would agree with this.

Seated area and scented flowers ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭faolteam

the slabs stones

when u say a seat were u meaning remove the plant and put a seat down the width is about 5ft

ok i have stained the back one that look tired since the photo
    behind that white plant is a rose that the father put down years ago and was his last rose so its very sentimental for the mother

when you say Put down some mypex and get some light cream coloured gravel over the whole corner do you mean take up the slabs that are there ???

bbam wrote: »
    Just my opinion...

1. The shrub is very nice but IMHO its misplaced.. I'd have put it to one corner, where it is it has created two even smaller dark spaces, but you may not want to move it.
    2. Stain the whole fencing a uniform colour, the side panels are fine, the back one looks tired.
    3. Put down some mypex and get some light cream coloured gravel over the whole corner, the two corners are dark - maybe a moderate sized flowering climber going up each corner....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

Yeah I'd remove the plant and find a bench/seat to suit the size of the opening. Fill the void left from the plant by continuing on with small slabs or use gravel, whatever you fancy.

You might be able to save the plant by removing it in winter or spring.

• Advertisement

i have just put down those slabs stones in ground and teh idea was to put grass seed in between them ??

also that area is between two Barna Sheds

Garden design is fluid... nothing is down for ever.

I think I can see the rose your dad planted peeking over the shrub.. I'd be getting it out from behind the shrub or the shrub out of the way if you want it to last.. the rose is so boxed in you can't appreciate it, and with so little air it will get badly mildewed and struggle/die.

Putting grass between the slabs, while a nice idea will be a torture. grass detests shade so won't grow that well and cutting will be hard.

Putting down gravel will brighten the corners by reflecting light back up onto the panels, and it will have little/no maintenance.

If you want to keep the slabs just lower the soil between them and run the gravel level with them between them.

Ideally plant the corners, rather than leaving them empty which attracts the eye to the empty corner.

I've learned not to be symmetrical, it doesn't come natural to me but it makes for a nicer effect, easier done too.. If your aimaing to be symmetrical things need to be perfect.

i appreciate that

if i put gravel in between the slabs how far do i need to go down and should i use mypex first

i think i will just put the gravel over the last slabs just to brighten it up and then in between after that

Scrape back 2 inches of soil.
    Cut the mypex in strips and lay it down, gravel in top.

It's hardly worth buying a roll of mypex for such a small area. If you had any polyethene round it would do the same.

• Advertisement

i had a roll of it any way

Advertisement