Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helicopter last night

Options
  • 23-07-2013 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Heard a helicopter flying extremely low last night at about 2am near the Ashlawn area of Letterkenny. Could see the reflection of its light on the window frame, that's how I knew it was quite low! It's very unusual to be woken up by that!

Anyone know what it might have been?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Heard that also. Think it was around 2.30am. Probably the coast guard landing at the hospital.

With all the good weather, I heard it at the hospital a lot recently. I know it means it is serious, somebody fell or is injured, but it is a pain when it is flying so low over the housing estates!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

+1 on hearing it too.. tbh i quite enjoyed the breeze of it coming in my open window it was that low down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Its most likely what has already been said, the coast guard helicopter with a serious patient, if its flying that low.
    I didn't hear it, but then again I'm kinda used to them at this stage. I'm only up the road.

The ashlawn area is on the flight path to the hospital and on the area where they circle around to lower altitude gradually.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lila44

kiddums wrote: »
    Its most likely what has already been said, the coast guard helicopter with a serious patient, if its flying that low.
    I didn't hear it, but then again I'm kinda used to them at this stage. I'm only up the road.

The ashlawn area is on the flight path to the hospital and on the area where they circle around to lower altitude gradually.

I thought it would be something serious, but couldn't figure out why they'd be flying so low around the estates, but now I know!

Today I Learned - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

It was a medivac outa LY to Dublin last night, the new S92 is much louder than the older S61, so might be a bit more noticeable now, aslo new aircraft is fully HEMS capable meaning more medical flights, sorry folks if your in the flight path, but it's all for very a very good reason no training flights at those hours.

• Advertisement

Bligh wrote: »
    It was a medivac outa LY to Dublin last night, the new S92 is much louder than the older S61, so might be a bit more noticeable now, aslo new aircraft is fully HEMS capable meaning more medical flights, sorry folks if your in the flight path, but it's all for very a very good reason no training flights at those hours.

Oh gosh, I figured as much that it was probably so,etching serious, but simply wasn't sure why it was flying so low near my house which aIs a ways from the hospital!

If it means that someone gets helped quicker, it could sit outside the house all night and I wouldn't mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Odelay

lila44 wrote: »
    Oh gosh, I figured as much that it was probably so,etching serious, but simply wasn't sure why it was flying so low near my house which aIs a ways from the hospital!

If it means that someone gets helped quicker, it could sit outside the house all night and I wouldn't mind![/QUOTE]

Had to thank that, such a nice post:)

Odelay wrote: »
    lila44 wrote: »

If it means that someone gets helped quicker, it could sit outside the house all night and I wouldn't mind![/QUOTE]

Had to thank that, such a nice post:)

Was typing on my phone, hence the stupid spelling errors!

Advertisement