Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Well R0ot,

Ive finally found ya in chatroll ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Arena Commander (Dog Fighting Module) is now released.

Wes at the Romantics is streaming it at the moment.

http://www.twitch.tv/wearetheromantics

All hands to battlestations.

Send our birds out!!!

Going to fly me a super hornet and blow up some vanduul scum!!!

Pew-pew, pew-pew

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

R0ot wrote: »
    Arena Commander (Dog Fighting Module) is now released.

Wes at the Romantics is streaming it at the moment.

http://www.twitch.tv/wearetheromantics
    Not to sound like an old man or anything, but I don't understand Twitch. The page that link goes to says it's offline. Has the streaming not started or am I doing something wrong?

humanji wrote: »
    Not to sound like an old man or anything, but I don't understand Twitch. The page that link goes to says it's offline. Has the streaming not started or am I doing something wrong?

He was a yank so he just went offline about 30 mins ago. Click the All Games on the left and then find Star Citizen as others are streaming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

All hands to battlestations.

Send our birds out!!!

Going to fly me a super hornet and blow up some vanduul scum!!!

Pew-pew, pew-pew

I'll be flying vicariously through the rest of ye until I build my new PC....

(sometime in 2023)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It's pretty irritating knowing that I have access to this, but my practically brand new laptop can't run it. :pac:

Engaging patience mode. I pledged to this for the long game - I will not go out and buy a PC just for some dog fighting. I will not.

Damn it I c... NO.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If you back this now, do you get access? I was reluctant in the past, but would be happy to pay now that there's actually something to play.

I think you have to buy access to the modules separately now. I think it's $5 per module. Not sure if you can buy the module on it's own without buying a ship (as the ships are expensive enough).

edit: Just checked. You do need a game package. The cheapest being the Aurora for $30, so it'll cost you $35 in total for access now.

Bare in mind that you'll also be at the end of the queue for multi-player access. I haven't read up on how speedy the MP rollout will be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Cheers, might pick up a ship package this week. I want the Hornet, but i'm not spending €100 odd euro.

I'm not...

So has anyone had a chance to play this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

i had a quick chance last night, only about 30 mins( the download took about 4 hours, was slooooow then said it was corrupt so took me about another 30 mins to get it working ).

I ran it at 5040x1050, was getting about ~43FPS average( 780ti, i7 920@3.8Ghz,9Gig ram ) but wow does it look absolutely stunning. Was using a logitech 3D joystick, worked out of the box, was really fun, was just talking out drones with the guns to get in some target practice, forgot how much arm work is required in dogfighting on PC, lol was wrecked after 30 mins. I would guess online multiplayer wont be so tough on the arms. Will also be great when TrackIR is implemented to look around, but might try it on the Oculus Rift at the weekend.

Again, i didnt play it long enough to make any clear judgement on it but from what i tried it was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

I have, its nice looking but I have to wait for a later release

It doesnt support crossfire yet, so I'm at hovering around 45fps.
    You cant rebind the keys/buttons and I'm not learning a whole new control system after two weeks of E: D. In SC Pitch and Yaw are on the same stick. I'm partial to Pitch and Roll. To activate Roll you have to hold left trigger and bleeeugh

hdrHjoO.png

Controll layouts are here

You'll need your helmet if you want to fly

So far, Ive gotten to wave 8.

That Priest Vanduul in swarm 6, stripped me to bits.

Good fun though.

ok can report back on what i think after a few hours play if anyones interested, love flight sims and the old xwing/tiefighter games so thats the background. /im basing this on the default Aurora ship as thats all i have. Played 2 hours tonight.

Whats available currently is single player only( MP is being rolled out based on the backer queue from kickstarter and afterwards from the site.

Theres only 1 mission available which is take out drones above a planet, the drones come in waves and there are large battleships shooting huge lasers down on the planet, unfortunately you cannot interact with these other than crash into them and another annoying thing is flying into their lasers dones absolutely nothing to your ship, albeit give you really cool laser glow around your ship lol.

Each wave consists of a few ships and you have your own friendly ships helping also, if you die you can just respawn and its just like an old skool continue.

Weapons wise you have a laser that overheats over time and needs a cool off period and 4 missiles( again these are ship dependent ). Once you fire off your 4 missiles they dont get replenished until you die( or at least i havnt figured out how to get weapon supplies yet )

Where it gets interesting is in the damage model, obviously shooting drones gets boring after a while but when you start taking damage your lasers/weapons systems start taking damage from overheating to just dieing completely.
    When this starts happening and it all starts going wrong is where it becomes mega cool, you start hugging asteroids waiting for damaged systems to slowly recharge( if they can otherwise your only option is to kamakazie ) then pop out take a few blasts and back into hiding again.
    Hugging asteroids is seriously difficult but feels bloody fantastic.
    Seeing it across 3 screens giving a panoramic view of the asteroid is brilliant.

Banging against an asteroid while not good obviously sounds great and really shows off the damage model.
    So far from what i have seen its excellent, depending on where the weapon systems are on the ship if you damage that area then they become inaccessible after a while.
    On the aurora the weapon systems are on the lower part of the ship so banging that against the asteroids damages them. Other ships with different designs i cant say if the model holds for them, i would imagine it would.

Ive mainly played in cockpit view but outside view is cool showing the different thrusters in action as you move around.

positives:
    - visuals are excellent, its currently only one setting above a planet with motherships firing down on the planet, multiplayer should be available soon. Performance is suprisingly great for whats supposidly an unoptomised alpha( ~43 FPS @ 5040x1050, i7 920@3.8Ghz,9Gig ram )
    - have to say the lighting model is excellent, explosions, lasers, everything is dynamic and as you move from left to right correctly lights up that specific part of the cockpit.
    - sound is excellent, really sounds cool if you bang off a rock or something, its a boring sounds but just gives impact, like a boat hitting a peer or something lol.
    - for an alpha my 3 screen setup worked out of the box as well as my old logitech 3D joystick( although no happy with some of the button layout, its functional though )

negatives
    - annoying how you dont get your missiles topped up after completing a wave
    - uncool that the battleship lasers dont fry your ship( again probably just cos its alpha so its not so bad really ), spent ages avoiding them before, now i know can just fly through them
    - the dogifghting area is small so you get regular warnings about being to close to the boundry which means leaving your current traget and usually moving to another.

Not going to put that possibly 2 out of 3 times it wont allow you to connect and you have to restart the game simply because its alpha and really is to be expected.

Anyways hope this was useful for someone maybe on the fence about it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Just downloading now...looking forward to this:)

Not sure its gonna run well though,i really need crossfire for this type of game at 1440p and as far as i know its not supported yet. Never usually is on alphas in fairness.

lmimmfn wrote: »

negatives
    - annoying how you dont get your missiles topped up after completing a wave
    - uncool that the battleship lasers dont fry your ship( again probably just cos its alpha so its not so bad really ), spent ages avoiding them before, now i know can just fly through them
    - the dogifghting area is small so you get regular warnings about being to close to the boundry which means leaving your current traget and usually moving to another.

- Missiles are reloaded after every 3rd (Elite Wave) is completed. Repairs are also meant to be done but so far folks haven't figured this out or it's not currently working.
    - Known bug but we weren't even meant to be able to change guns so I don't find it that big a deal.
    - This is pretty annoying but keeps the combat within range all the time so I don't mind it too much lately. I would hate to have to fly 10k from one side and 10k to another for one ship.

A few notes also -
    Weapon Groupings if you set them clear after you a) die or b) return to the hangar.
    Power management is possible but I'm still researching how to do this (see thread below).

Read This (Pilot's Guide) - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/dpd639fngtcakr/source/Arena-Commander-Pilots-Guide-V0-8.pdf
    And This (Power management) - http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/27fncu/ive_figured_out_how_to_adjust_power_to_weapons/

Grouping Weapons Guide -
    • Press F2 in your cockpit in the simulator to access the grouping screen.
    • The arrow keys on your keyboard select weapons based on the ship model at the top left with the hardpoints as [] not the group listings themselves.
    • Return/Enter Key selects the weapon you have highlighted, moving the arrow keys when you have a weapon selected will change the grouping number (1,2,3,4,5) although it seems to skip over 2 and go to 3 and you have to cycle to the end to get group 2.
    • Press Return/Enter again to apply weapon to that slot or alternatively select a slot where it's already added and press Return/Enter to remove it.

Lastly, if you are interested in a corp I'm in one with a group of old Eve buddies and a mix of friends
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/BDCI

I'll gladly vouch for any boardsies and here are the forums - (PM me if you apply or want to know more)
    https://bdci-eve.net/

Patch 12.1

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//13929-Star-Citizen-Patch-121
    Updates
    Increased the size of production server and deployed servers with Google Compute
    Added HOTAS mapping XML files to Arena Commander
    Updated Arena Commander controls screen to include HOTAS mappings and updated other control screens to reflect current controls accurately
    Add missiles to the freelancer_max
    Added XML for joysticks to allow swapping Yaw and Roll mappings
    Adjusted power consumption and the speed of the laser bolt for the Klaus and Werner CF007 Bulldog

Bugs Fixed
    Unable to access multiplayer with an account that contains the appropriate multiplayer game mode items
    Resolved an issue in multiplayer where the pilot enter animation would play every time you respawn
    Resolved an issue with the Hornet’s Gatling gun which would cause it to begin taking heat damage prior to reaching a critical heat state
    Resolved an issue with the AI firing their Gatling guns constantly until they were destroyed due to heat damage
    Resolved an issue with pilot animations becoming offset in the 300i when viewed in 3rd person
    Resolved an issue which caused the animations for pitching up and down in the cockpit to be reversed.
    Resolved an issue which caused AI who were destroyed when the player blew up their engine and reactor to register as having committed suicide.
    Resolved an issue in multiplayer that would often cause a crash of the server and clients at the end of a round
    Corrected an issue with cooling on the 300i which could cause unintentional overheating under normal operating conditions

Did any of you lads back early enough to get into the first wave of MP, or are ye just playing SP for the moment?

• Advertisement

Yeti Beast wrote: »
    Did any of you lads back early enough to get into the first wave of MP, or are ye just playing SP for the moment?

MP has not been enabled yet (maybe this patch will change that?).

Rumours are that Concierge will get first access followed by players with the lowest Citizen ID

MP has not been enabled yet (maybe this patch will change that?).

Rumours are that Concierge will get first access followed by players with the lowest Citizen ID

Ah, I thought they were going to start rolling out MP to early backers/low citizen numbers immediately.

Yeti Beast wrote: »
    Ah, I thought they were going to start rolling out MP to early backers/low citizen numbers immediately.

They were but I heard performance issues so they delayed it.

I see they've released details of the Freelancer variants. Brochure here.

They're also patching the hangar module so that everyone can see the two TNGS finalists' ships in our own hangars before voting.

- Missiles are reloaded after every 3rd (Elite Wave) is completed. Repairs are also meant to be done but so far folks haven't figured this out or it's not currently working.
    - Known bug but we weren't even meant to be able to change guns so I don't find it that big a deal.
    - This is pretty annoying but keeps the combat within range all the time so I don't mind it too much lately. I would hate to have to fly 10k from one side and 10k to another for one ship.
    cheers for the info on the reloads, on my negatives, it was just based on 2 hours play and an indication for someone who might buy it on what to expect , first impressions etc. , manuals? WTF is that? lol :)
    Thanks for the links, hadnt had time to read the manuals to be honest, just quick start info. Will check them out properly over the weekend.

On the corp, sounds good, will get a bit better before joining, will fire you a PM, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I must saw from watching the videos so far of AC, the sound design in SC is just woeful, just sounds so budgety. Have they said is it a placeholder?

Stev_o wrote: »
    I must saw from watching the videos so far of AC, the sound design in SC is just woeful, just sounds so budgety. Have they said is it a placeholder?
    I think the whole dog fight module is just a placeholder, to be honest. A lot of work has gone into things like the modelling and ship systems etc, but the combat, sound, ai, controls and pretty much every aspect of the DFM aren't really up to much and feel like they were thrown together just to have something to tide over the backers.

Stev_o wrote: »

What sounds or is it all sounds? Best thing I can recommend to anyone with an interest in the game (whether you have pledged or not) is post to the Ask Developers section or Game Ideas on the forum. They read all the questions eventually so you will get some sort of answer or even something on the roadmap.

Edit: This thread - https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/17396/star-citizen-game-audio#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

What sounds or is it all sounds? Best thing I can recommend to anyone with an interest in the game (whether you have pledged or not) is post to the Ask Developers section or Game Ideas on the forum. They read all the questions eventually so you will get some sort of answer or even something on the roadmap.

Edit: This thread - https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/17396/star-citizen-game-audio#latest

Mostly the Pew Pew sounds weak and just childish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Advertisement