Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Yeti Beast wrote: »
    Let us know what you think!
    will do, i dunno if ill get a chance tonight as i wanna try this with the Oculus Rift - http://www.computerandvideogames.com/470241/blog/extreme-g-successor-radial-g-looks-like-an-oculus-rift-version-of-f-zero/
    If thats crap ill be straight into SC and report back tonight lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Just got a MP invite as well.

Will have to give it a go this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

In too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Preview of the asteroid hangar.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So is the dog fighting module actually any good? And is there much to it, or just a few areas?

Another new ship released this weekend, costing €80. Have to say i'm really not liking how they constantly releasing them. Charging that much for individual ships is crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Them selling the new ships isn't that bad, really. They're insanely expensive, but they will be purchasable with in-game money when the full thing is released. And on a positive side, since there's going to be plenty of people buying them, the rest of us get practical reviews of them before we have to choose our own ships to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I've a hard time spending €15-20 on anything pre-release/early access, can't imagining buy one of the ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Lol, that's crazy how willing people are to buy these ships.... I can understand backing a kickstarter but this is getting a bit ridiculous. Can they really deliver what's been promised ? Can't use 'lack of resources' as an excuse that's for sure !

Ill be waiting for full release before parting with any money on this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The cheapest ship is about €30,for that you get alpha,beta access and full game on release.

Considering what some of the paid betas are charging these days,thats not bad at all IMO. Granted its a risk but so is any other form of early access game. Im hoping that Chris Roberts' background in this type of game will mean it ends up being good.

No need to buy the expensive ships as someone said above. They can all be got for in game money on release. In a game like this they must need so many ship models for variety,while programmers etc work on the core game mechanics the artists etc must be working on ship design,so why not put the ships out there for the more enthusiastic backers when there done

Having only had the hanger and recently the arena commander mode(late backer so MP dogfighting is not unlocked for me)to play with i can say the game looks stunning. Im playing it at 1440p and its a sight to behold. I for one was happy to take the risk,happy enough so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

EoinHef wrote: »
    The cheapest ship is about €30,for that you get alpha,beta access and full game on release.

Man do I miss triple digits.... :pac:

• Advertisement

I've been looking at the ships and wondering how much effort each will take in game to earn or what you start out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭The Red

Hey lads, so Im just finding out about this now and I reckon id dig it so I might pledge and get in on it. I will read back over the thread later but for now im just wondering whats the best bet as a starter pledge? Is the best bet to spend a few bob and get a decent ship or hold out and acquire one in-game and just spend, say $40 to get into it on a basic level?

Thanks for any tips, Im new to all space sim genre.

Sirinava.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

You have no way of knowing really.

Could be that it'll be very difficult to build up to a better ship in game and you're better buying one now, or it could be a complete waste of money.

I dont understand paying extra right now myself.
    We're not sure that this game will deliver on all its promise. I'll happily spend the same amount as I would for a copy of a game now, but I wouldn't go putting twice or three times the value of another game on it yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm just interested to see how hard they make it to acquire these ships in game, and will they continue to allow people to buy them after release. I just have a bad feeling that they'll release ships from time to time, and they'll be exclusively available for a few months in their cash shops.

Hopefully i'm wrong though. I've been pretty negative about the whole thing for a while tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭The Red

Well the bottom line for me is initial cost. I definitely wont pay more than a regular new game but so what choices are good for that starter ship? Which of the Aurora series, Avenger or 300 series? or is there a drastic difference in them or the next grade up? Hornet?

Not sure how well this is going to do at release, how many people make up that $50m?

It could be that the game has already "sold" every copy it will, as these games aren't really mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

They'll make instant money on release selling extra character slots for various roleplay and ship crewing shenanigans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ship screws, they will make money on people buying NPC crew, or buying cheap game packages to have other NPC crew

Haven't been keeping up to date the last month due to moving house but I'm now catching up!

Monthly Report for July looks awesome!
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14054-Monthly-Report-July-2014

Just got access in this batch of Arena Commander Multiplayer Access, hopefully get to play some of this tonight!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14053-Arena-Commander-Multiplayer-Access-Expanded

And another crowding milestone of 49 million!
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14055-Letter-From-The-Chairman

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Hey guys Ive been following Star Citizen and the developments of the game for over a year now. But my problem is I still haven't bought a game package. There are 2 reasons for this firstly I cant decide on which one to get ideally I would like all the ships just like everyone here. The second reason is I don't have a PC to play it on yet. I will be hopefully building a PC in the next month or two for this purpose.

So what I really want to ask is now that people have gotten in and had the experience of playing a bit. What ships do ye have and how do ye find them. Is it paying out for the more expensive ones or are the lower grade ones just as enjoyable. Or does it just depend on what you are into?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Are any of ye using flight simulator controls for this? Id love to give a go.

Are any of ye using flight simulator controls for this? Id love to give a go.

Wasnt gonna bother then i read this article. Now im thinkin about a Thrustmaster HOTAs X,£40 on Amazon

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/08/05/the-best-pc-joysticks/

On phone so link may not work sorry:( Just go to PC gamer and the article about best pc joystick was yesterday i think.

EDIT: link should work now

Want a X-55 Rhino.

R0ot wrote: »
    Want a X-55 Rhino.

Im think im gonna get the hotas x just because im not sure i have any other use for one other than star citizen and elite.

Would kill me paying for the x-55 and using only for 2 games. Looks brilliant though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Wasnt gonna bother then i read this article. Now im thinkin about a Thrustmaster HOTAs X,£40 on Amazon

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/08/05/the-best-pc-joysticks/

On phone so link may not work sorry:( Just go to PC gamer and the article about best pc joystick was yesterday i think.

EDIT: link should work now

Thats the flight controls my brother has.

Thats the flight controls my brother has.

Does he like it?

Ive never used one before,closet ive come is an Atari 2600 joystick!! So im just going on info im reading. Scores decent in the reviews on amazon as well

Does he like it?

Ive never used one before,closet ive come is an Atari 2600 joystick!! So im just going on info im reading. Scores decent in the reviews on amazon as well

Ya he loves it,got it from germany ,I asked him could I have his old one and he said no :mad:

Ya he loves it,got it from germany ,I asked him could I have his old one and he said no :mad:

So much for brotherly love:pac:

I reckon im gonna get it,can use it for Arma 3 as well. Not a bad price either,i really thought decent ones were more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

L23-6268_vmain01x_plp_mn_713258.jpg

Using one of these, natively supported by RSI. Works pretty well but might get a HOTAS setup later for bigger ships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I see the new range of Constellations are out. Pretty awesome looking.

edit: I'll pop in a link: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14080-The-2945-RSI-Constellation-Lineup

As expected, the release of this pushed them over the $50 million mark.

Advertisement