Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I've spent Enough on this game. Have not upgraded .....yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

how is the final product going to work ship wise? will they be bought with in game currency? will the price be so unattainable for ships that you have to buy with real cash? i havnt backed but i am very interested in this game....so long as it doesnt go down the pay to win route (and im kind of worried about that with all these in game ships people are buying right now)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Almost all the ships are available to buy in game. There's a couple I think that were only for specific backing tiers on kickstarter. I'd hope the ships will be reasonably expensive in the main game, otherwise you're just going to have everyone in the most expensive ships and it'll feel weird. And there's no real "win" for the game. From what they've said about it, it's more a second life type of thing. You live and survive in their universe instead of trying to hit a level cap and grind dungeons and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If I end up getting this I'm going to hitch hike the galaxy, what with all the big ships people are buying they've more than enough room for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

humanji wrote: »
    Almost all the ships are available to buy in game. There's a couple I think that were only for specific backing tiers on kickstarter. I'd hope the ships will be reasonably expensive in the main game, otherwise you're just going to have everyone in the most expensive ships and it'll feel weird. And there's no real "win" for the game. From what they've said about it, it's more a second life type of thing. You live and survive in their universe instead of trying to hit a level cap and grind dungeons and the like.

well i do agree that ships should cost a decent amount of money or it would just be boring, just hope its not 4 weeks grinding for a basic ship sort of thing like youd see in a lot of ftp mmo's.
    this game is very very ambitious, fps, space sim, planets, racing anything else im missing? is the game universe going to be big? id presume it wont be elite dangerous levels of big

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

So any ship you pledge for now you will have going into the persistent universe? And the rest you will have to work for like EVE or something similar?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I just hope the ships have major differences between them, which will allow for people to use a wide variety of ships for different things.

I hope it just doesn't boil down to small, medium and large ships. I want an Eve Online style system, where you've got several different classes, all designed for different things. A few well armed fighters can take down a battleship if done right kind of thing.

well i do agree that ships should cost a decent amount of money or it would just be boring, just hope its not 4 weeks grinding for a basic ship sort of thing like youd see in a lot of ftp mmo's.
    this game is very very ambitious, fps, space sim, planets, racing anything else im missing? is the game universe going to be big? id presume it wont be elite dangerous levels of big

I don't think I'd mind a grind in this, as much as I would in other MMO's. Since there's no end game, the ships would be one of the things to set as your own goal. I'd assume that bigger ships will cost more, so the basic ones should be easy enough to get, in theory.

The size of the universe would be one of the things that worries me. They haven't really indicated the size. And although they've said that explorers will be able to discover new systems, I can't imagine there being too many as I don't think they're procedurally generated like Elite.

Time will tell, I suppose.
    Big Knox wrote: »
    So any ship you pledge for now you will have going into the persistence universe? And the rest you will have to work for like EVE or something similar?

That's pretty much it, I think.
    Kiith wrote: »
    I just hope the ships have major differences between them, which will allow for people to use a wide variety of ships for different things.

I hope it just doesn't boil down to small, medium and large ships. I want an Eve Online style system, where you've got several different classes, all designed for different things. A few well armed fighters can take down a battleship if done right kind of thing.

I think that's what they're hoping to achieve. Chris Roberts has said several times that although the Constellation is the biggest you can buy at the moment, it's not necessarily better than every other ship. Some will be more suited to specific roles, but I get the impression that most are multi-role ships, with the variants being more specific for certain roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

What I would love - and I haven't really seen it in any mmo - is a system where player skill really makes a big difference. I'd love if there was a detailed sensor/stealth system in place. Hiding behind an asteroid and ambushing a superior ship sounds like it could be great fun.

I loved playing the spy in team fortress because I was able to use my own brain to win, as opposed to pure in-game numbers. Light Assault in Planetside 2 gave you the tools to potentially out manoeuvre much more powerful foes, if you were quick and clever. Hell, even multiplayer Minecraft has such low dependence on in-game stats that player intelligence is everything (I played a combat team-based mod for a while).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I mean, really... skill is a huge factor in a lot of MMO's. WoW for example, as much as people will say otherwise, is hugely effected by skill, be it PVP or PVE (At least it used to be, haven't played for years). Much in the same vein as moba's.

I get what your saying tho, hopefully ship balance is one of their focal points and that they find a good mix of power/skill ceilings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Magill wrote: »
    WoW for example

lol stopped reading there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Zillah wrote: »
    lol stopped reading there

Why ? You say that like it was easy to get rank 1 or to clear hardcore content.

I always found it amusing when people would act like everyone was clearing endgame like it was a piece of piss.. or that getting gladiator was the norm and all you needed was to grind out some PVP gear in the battlegrounds. Its not like we're talking about say Eve, where the only thing that matters is who can read spreadsheets quickest.

Either way, off topic.. as I said, I hope they find a good mix of having skill/ship power so as its not super boring like Eve and those that can't play/mine 24/7 can have an impact.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Magill wrote: »
    I always found it amusing when people would act like everyone was clearing endgame like it was a piece of piss.. or that getting gladiator was the norm and all you needed was to grind out some PVP gear in the battlegrounds. Its not like we're talking about say Eve, where the only thing that matters is who can read spreadsheets quickest.

I agree that it takes skill to do what you say in Warcraft, but to then say that Eve requires no skill is completely wrong as well. But as you said, it's off topic.

I do hope the different variants of ships have a really different feel. I'd really like to buy that Ghost Hornet, and have stealth/ambushing be a viable tactic in the game. Will probably just buy the Avenger (exploration version), as it's half the price of the Hornet.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭GREENGEKO

i see they stopped showing the counter on the main page...was at 52half million

kinda miss wingmans hanger....new show very hollywood

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

GREENGEKO wrote: »

I can see why they did it.

It's hard to play the role of the down on your luck plucky indie dev when you are rolling in 50 million quid. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

GREENGEKO wrote: »

kinda miss wingmans hanger....new show very hollywood

They moved it here - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Here's why -
    As part of this initiative, the crowd-funding counter will no longer live on the front page. There are several reasons for this, but the biggest one is Star Citizen isn't just about making millions of dollars. While continued funding is necessary to build Star Citizen at the current level of AAA fidelity and no compromises, the first experience for new people should be about the game and universe, not about how much money we've raised. Backers do a whole lot more than just buy new ships. You are our eyes and ears; you sell the project to other gamers better than any ad campaign ever could, your design ideas expand our scope and your bug reports help us make a smoother game. Every time you dogfight in Arena Commander, you’re helping make Star Citizen better!

Source

Yep, Wingmans hanger was class, more miss Wingmans hangover, that was great fun.

Did not bother spending more money on 'upgrading' the Connie. Spent more than enough money on this game so far.
    Will be interesting to see the changes in .9 patch in couple weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

So I've been purposely avoiding all news on this as I know it's still so far out but with the updates coming along nicely I've soaked up everything I can the past few days. Also downloaded and had a run around a friends hanger. He has the Constellation Phoenix, Freelancer DUR, Hornet Tracker and an Avenger.

When he initially told me how much he had pledged I laughed and thought he was crazy but after seeing it all myself I will admit I was very impressed and sucked in by it all so I've decided to invest myself.

As impressive as the Phoenix was (and my god it really is impressive) I just love the look and feel of the Freelancer and after looking into roles and info on the PU the Freelancer makes most sense! I have to say I love the look of the Ghost too so depending on disposable income I may pick one up down the line also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

free trial open until the end of the week:
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/dragoncon-2014

The redeem code: dragonflight2k14

Been playing a lot of Elite: Dangerous so looking forward to trying this

August Monthly Report is out
    - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14126-Monthly-Report-August

Highlighting a few points -
    FPS Team wrote:
    I’m sure you all must be aware by now… The secret is out. The beans have been spilled. The cat is out of the bag! That’s right, [REDACTED] will finally be showing off some FPS goodness at PAX Australia! ....

On the engineering and design side, we have shifted from real life nerf-gun fights to in-game playtests. In my personal opinion they are much more fun, more productive and less dangerous! These tests have mostly been focused on improving stability and fixing network issues, but we are now transitioning to iterating on gameplay and balance.

That's 31st October > 2 November.

• Advertisement

Oh gawd!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14143-Arena-Commander-V09-Released
    Features
    • Added Cooperative Vanduul Swarm game mode
    • Added Classic Race game mode
    • Added Private Matches
    • Added Friend Codes
    • M50 is now Arena Commander Ready
    • 350r is now Arena Commander Ready
    • Added New Horizons Speedway level
      New Hangars:
    • Discount is now Self Land
    • Business is now Aeroview
    • Deluxe is now Revel & York
    • Addition of VFG Industrial Asteroid Hangar
    • Added backend support for Leaderboards
    • Added ability to boost maneuvering thrusters by consuming fuel
    • Additional controls for Six Degrees of Freedom in both coupled/decoupled mode
    • Added various control schemes
    • Added fuel gauge to HUD of all ships
    • Greatly improved pilot g-force animations
    • Added scalable directional pilot animations for hit impacts
    • New game/pause menu
    • Updated and improved a plethora of sound effects
    • Added sounds for catwalk doors
    • Updated countermeasure sounds
    • Added response sound for hitting target
    • Updated Character Animations
    • New Sound effects for Vanduul wave spawns
    • New ship flight sounds
    • Updated Aurora paint jobs
    • Updated 300-series paint jobs
    • Added lead target indicators
    • Added sound effect for failed missile lock
    • Added sound effect for hit confirmation
    • Fixed a multitude of ships bugs for hangar ships
    • Double tapping throttle up/down on gamepad and keyboard sets throttle to full/zero
    • Added spectator cam after you are destroyed
    • Added support for Track IR
    • Added support for players to select their active hangar on the website
    • Updated HUD, revamped HUD controls, and greatly improved functionality
    • Added slight head movement to look where you are flying
    Balance/Tweaks
    • Increased top speed of ships to previous max boost speed
    • Afterburners now increase thruster power instead of top speed
    • Removed automatic lead shooting by ITTS. Training wheels are off.
    • Rebalanced all weapons
    • Improved weapon damage due to ITTS changes
    • Improved weapon heat dissipation
    • Boosting now overrides G-Safe
    • Improved control sensitivity for finer control on joysticks and thumbsticks.
    • Revised shield recharge rates and health
    • Revised health of all ships and their discrete pieces
    • Throttle now proportional to acceleration for more precise throttle control on gamepad and keyboard
    • Revised missile speed, damage, and signature requirements for lock
    • Updated flight performance characteristics for all ships
    • Balanced energy consumption on weapons and items better.
    • Updated and improved art and visual effects in Broken Moon and Dying Star
    • Improved AI flight behavior
    Fixes
    • Sound no longer plays while the loading screen is still active
    • CTC Core radar icon changed to be more visible
    • Fixed an issue where targeting reticles were still present after target died
    • Fixed the performance issues with CTC Cores
    • Fixed orientation of targeted ships on HUD
    • Respawn message no longer shows when you eject on your final life in Vanduul Swarm
    • Loading of ship hud no longer cancels lock-ons
    • Memory optimizations for sound
    • Missiles no longer pass through geometry
    • Various Animation and IK fixes
    • Freelancer door animation fixes
    • Fixed an issue with the crab escaping its tank and wandering out of the hangar
    • Fixed missing textures
    • Fixed up ejection issues
    • Fixed misaligned decals on ships
    • Various crash fixes
    • Fixed issue where player was able to exit ship while respawning
    • Fixed an issue where player would sometimes die immediately when spawning during Free Flight or Vanduul Swarm
    • Lighting adjustments
    • Fixed a lot of animation issues throughout
    • Fixed an issue with players falling through elevators
    • Fixed an issue with character appearing to fall after loading
    • Fixed camera angle issues in third person
    • Fixed character missing eyes in some situations
    • Fixed issues with audio cutting out
    • Fixed collision issues with walls
    • Console no longer displays user information such as username
    • Adjusted landing pad to be easier to land on
    • Fixed various server crashes
    • Track IR adjustments
    • Fixed issue where 300i could sometimes fail to eject the player
    • Fixed 325a control panels missing
    • Enabled Hornet volume trail
    • Fixed avenger geometry, animation, and texture issues
    • Fixed collision on the Cutlass
    • Fixed issues with damage states and visual effects
    • Fixed a potential security issue present when accessing the console
    • Fixed various issues with throttle and stick pilot animations in the Hornet
    • Fixed an issue where the Aurora’s cockpit camera was cutting off important HUD information
    Known Issues
    • New Hangars are limited to the amount of ships that can be displayed
    • You cannot select which ships will be displayed in your Hangar
    • Non-Dogfight Hornets appear overly shiny
    • The large Hangar doors in Revel & York drop out of view at certain distances
    • Idris does not spawn in Hangar
    • Arena Commander menu clips through the M50 canopy after boarding the ship
    • 350R pilots have a slight chance of spawning into race mode with broken wrists
    • The Hornet can throttle to 100% and boost to max speed even after its main engine has been destroyed
    • Players receive a “You died” message and are forced to respawn after launching Free Flight
    • Numerous locations with z-fighting on ships and hangars
    • Numerous minor collision issues in ships and hangars
    • Numerous locations in hangars where graphics will drop out at a distance
    • Some weapons and components are missing information in the holo table
    • Some weapons and components are showing one sided polygons in the holo table
    • 300i variants cannot use their beds
    • Avenger bed cannot be used
    • Oculus Rift only works in Vehicle seats
    • The Arena Commander menu in the Aurora Legionnaire, Aurora, CL, Aurora MR and Aurora ES are really low down in the cockpit and hard to read
    • No Hornet variants have Arena Commander menus
    • The overdrive / boost bar does not work in the m50 or the 300i
    • Unable to change the power-triangle / priority in the 350R
    • Issue regarding CIG2 keyboard settings
    • In Race Mode if the player crashes towards the front of the starting grid, they will respawn underneath the hangar
    • The 17th checkpoint ring currently does not display in the Murray Cup – Defford Link level.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The best Game trailer in the Wuuuuuuuurld!

Well what we thinking of the new hangers?

Well it's been a 12 hour download for me, so I won't know until tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Skerries wrote: »
    The best Game trailer in the Wuuuuuuuurld!

Never thought it could happen but that vid is so slightly more patronising than the real top gear:)

Ship looks cool,but jeremy clarkson bloke was just as much of a muppet as the real thing imo.

Looking at patch notes theres a lot there,looking forward to trying it all out

Well it's been a 12 hour download for me, so I won't know until tomorrow.

I've a UPC 200mb connection, yet I was getting download speeds of 155kb. Was crazy.

Some people downloaded the torrent version instead. Then logged in. Much quicker, others said using a vpn tunnel , helped. but not sure.

Yeah I should have done that, but I'm busy today and won't get a chance to try it anyway. It says a 1.5gb download is going to take another 15 hours to finish on there system.

Yeah I should have done that, but I'm busy today and won't get a chance to try it anyway. It says a 1.5gb download is going to take another 15 hours to finish on there system.

*bang head off table to relieve annoyance, continue until stress is reduced or unconscious*

I've a UPC 200mb connection, yet I was getting download speeds of 155kb. Was crazy.

Some people downloaded the torrent version instead. Then logged in. Much quicker, others said using a vpn tunnel , helped. but not sure.

Eircom fibre in Donegal, was getting about 2.6mb down from the SC client.

• Advertisement

R0ot wrote: »
    Eircom fibre in Donegal, was getting about 2.6mb down from the SC client.

So jealous. Why am I getting crappy speeds?

Advertisement