Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Not sure how I feel about REC yet....must research more...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

In-game currency, huh?

Im not really understanding the outrage and meltdown....whats the problem??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, I don't really get it either. It gives players more incentive to keep playing AC and as far as I can tell actually works towards leveling the playing field. I'm not sure what I'm missing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So it's an ingame currency, that allows you to rent ships and equipment for a short amount of time? I don't really mind that, as long as they don't allow you to pay real money for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Kiith wrote: »
    So it's an ingame currency, that allows you to rent ships and equipment for a short amount of time? I don't really mind that, as long as they don't allow you to pay real money for it.

Why not, you can pay real money to buy said ships.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah i know, i just don't want even more focus on paying real money for in game items. There's far too much of that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

A couple of clarification posts from CR today on the RSI forums.

TLDR;

- Thank you for all the feedback
    - Why is everyone so mad at REC giving free stuff ?
    - The 7 days of a rental is not 7 consecutive days, it's 7 days of logging in to AC (not 24hrs x 7 but 7 logins!)
    - Please calm down, the world is not falling apart, this is specifically for AC this is not a representation of the PU or it's economy but a way to encourage specific game play by a reward system to help us better stress test and also give folks access to weapons/ships they want to try.

R0ot wrote: »
    A couple of clarification posts from CR today on the RSI forums.

TLDR;

- Thank you for all the feedback
    - Why is everyone so mad at REC giving free stuff ?
    - The 7 days of a rental is not 7 consecutive days, it's 7 days of logging in to AC (not 24hrs x 7 but 7 logins!)
    - Please calm down, the world is not falling apart, this is specifically for AC this is not a representation of the PU or it's economy but a way to encourage specific game play by a reward system to help us better stress test and also give folks access to weapons/ships they want to try.

When CR is not masturbating into a big pile of money, he must sometimes look at the forums and just feel like banging his head off a brick wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

humanji wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't really get it either. It gives players more incentive to keep playing AC and as far as I can tell actually works towards leveling the playing field. I'm not sure what I'm missing.

I paid ten thousand real world dollars to be an omnipotent space king, I don't want these beta-nerds getting a level playing field or it could shatter my delusions of grandeur.

• Advertisement

Free fly week this week, can try out all the origin craft.

The Orion mining ship is for sale, too rich for me but its there, think $399.75

for those of you who are recession proof.

I wonder if they'll release the figures of how many they sell.

It's a cool ship, though. And the description of how mining will work make it actually sound like it could be exciting, instead of the point and shoot method in most other games.

Looks like a pretty cool ship, i shall hijack one in the PU

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm actually considering buying it. I shouldn't, but I am. Might be time to lock myself out of paypal.

ED E wrote: »
    I'm actually considering buying it. I shouldn't, but I am. Might be time to lock myself out of paypal.

Been there before man, resist!!!!!

Or if you don't have a large multi crew ship....Maybe dabble.

I've always been a resource whore in any kinda game I play, get that farm on big time. Well, except Homeworld, in that I just steal enemy frigates all day ;)

€ 285.30, exchange rate has really seen better days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

ED E wrote: »
    € 285.30

What is this for, exactly?

EDIT: Oh you meant the ship, not the game. Yeah don't spend that kind of money on imaginary spaceships.

From the looks of this you'll all be better off putting money into a PC upgrade.

Definitely holding off on this now, no way my PC is up to this.

Wow, I wonder how they'll deal with two fleets fighting each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Varik wrote: »
    From the looks of this you'll all be better off putting money into a PC upgrade.

Yeah, I'm looking at my (relatively) new build thinking I should have held off (frikin' DX12).

Having said that the news on this new damage state system is that it will be less memory intensive than the current model (and allow for quicker ship development).

From "Design: The New Damage System" on SC site (sorry, can't link post links yet):

"...The reason the damage states are so labour intensive is that each ship has over ten main parts, and each of these requires five damage states to represent the different levels of damage, then each of these requires up to five simplified meshes that we use when they’re further from the camera to save performance. This equates to over 200 meshes per ship!
    ...So our goal was to try and achieve the minor damage without having to create whole new meshes, saving both memory and artist time. "

Full article is worth a read...

Wow, I wonder how they'll deal with two fleets fighting each other.

Shards as they call them.

There will only ever be a limited player count operating in one instance. Theyre avoiding the Eve model because they want to keep it real time vs dropping to 0.1X.

Yeah I'm just wondering since they'll have so much debris, will they be tracking it all or will it all disappear after a few moments. It would look cool looking at the aftermath of a battle with debris all over the place, but it'd be a good track to not have it slow down performance.

Yeah I'm just wondering since they'll have so much debris, will they be tracking it all or will it all disappear after a few moments. It would look cool looking at the aftermath of a battle with debris all over the place, but it'd be a good track to not have it slow down performance.

populating areas with lower poly/texture generic debris after the real stuff disappears.

The momentum of the physical weapons actually causing the ship to move was cool.

Varik wrote: »
    populating areas with lower poly/texture generic debris after the real stuff disappears.

The momentum of the physical weapons actually causing the ship to move was cool.

Im wondering now if they'll do the reverse, fire a big f'ck off cannon and fly backwards :D

FPS next week I'd say.

Planetside in late April

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

I only got a chance to get to get actually in to this this week as I haven't had anything able to run it for a while. I had a go of Arena Commander on Vanduul Swarm and the Multiplayer aspect it is all really good and looks amazing.

I was only in the standard Hornet as I only have a Connie and was getting fairly wiped out but pretty fun all the same. I was just wondering was there some announcement maybe a month or so back that they were going doing a rental program or something for Arena Commander so people could try different weapons and ships out? Or was that all just a dream?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I only got a chance to get to get actually in to this this week as I haven't had anything able to run it for a while. I had a go of Arena Commander on Vanduul Swarm and the Multiplayer aspect it is all really good and looks amazing.

I was only in the standard Hornet as I only have a Connie and was getting fairly wiped out but pretty fun all the same. I was just wondering was there some announcement maybe a month or so back that they were going doing a rental program or something for Arena Commander so people could try different weapons and ships out? Or was that all just a dream?

Your not dreaming,it happened:)

Its called REC(Rental Equipment Credits)

I dont want to repost the entire explanation of how they work as its fairly lengthy. But if you scan through the past page or two of this thread you should see a post from ROot with a breakdown of how it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

I just happened to have it bookmarked.

• Advertisement

So, HOTAS setups.

Currently have the 3D Extreme Pro Joystick. Know some people looking at more substantial units. The way I see it atm:

X52/55 - alright, but has QC problems
    Warthog - Pretty baller, but has no twist so you need pedals. Crazy money.

Is there anything down the budget end of the spectrum worth a look? And do we think we'll see any new products dropping now that theres ED and SC making a market?

Advertisement