Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

ED E wrote: »
    So, HOTAS setups.

Currently have the 3D Extreme Pro Joystick. Know some people looking at more substantial units. The way I see it atm:

X52/55 - alright, but has QC problems
    Warthog - Pretty baller, but has no twist so you need pedals. Crazy money.

Is there anything down the budget end of the spectrum worth a look? And do we think we'll see any new products dropping now that theres ED and SC making a market?

Maybe try mixing a CH Pro throttle with your current joystick?

I read somewhere the Warthog is also going to be sold as two separate units soon. Also an offical SC hotas setup is in the works as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Thanks guys il have a look at it tonight when I get a chance and hopefully will be able to get somthing to make it a lil bit easier or at least some missiles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I gave this a go because there was a promotional code. Looks great but runs like crap on my rig. Flew around in space, didn't know what the hell I was doing. Purposely crashed into asteroids, didn't even bother fighting the A.I. Good stuff. I'll wait for full release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Dair76 wrote: »
    100GB? I thought that the 65GB required for GTA V was bad. so you need to factor in the cost of an SSD when buying this game :)
    I gave this a go because there was a promotional code.

I think the code is PAXEASTFREEFLY2K15! (I'm not sure if the exclamation mark is part of the code). It expires on the 15th.

The registration link is https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/paxeast-2015/?

However, its a 20GB download and people are saying that its not really worth it for a preview of an alpha but I think I'll give it a go this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

20GB download isn't an issue for my internet connection. I just gave it a quick go and now I'm done with it. Definitely not really something meant as a demo. The starting ship seems crap. I guess the hangar is for people who buy ships with real money and spend all day looking at them? Because there's not much else to do. Couldn't even jump off the balconies to my death to see what first person death looks like.

I'll be waiting around until the game is ready for filthy casuals like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Big jump from the VAT charges.

Buying off US side doesn't really help as €1 is about $0.95.

Bloody Greeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Spoiler tastic info on the storyline of Squadron 42 in an interview by the man himself.

http://www.blastr.com/2015-3-18/creator-chris-roberts-talks-star-citizen-ambitious-space-sim-steroids

Can't say I'm extremly interested in the plots or dialoge (not sure if Chris is trustworthy on that score) but it's definitely an interesting senario.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

1.1.0 is out. My Retaliator is finally in the hangar. So much awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

^^Nice!

Saw a video of the retaliator the other day,looks awesome:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

ugh, patch errors, have to redownload

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Glebee

ugh, patch errors, have to redownload

Yep, need to uninstall and install new from web site.

There any images or concept drawings of this new 2 seater starter.

Got an email with discounts on the other starters, only shown in dollar and it may be worth it to buy those at a reduced rate and upgrade to where I want to be. Not sure how vat will work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Wonder why there is a prblem with the player list thread?

Are we expected to trawl through all the pages in this thread for player handles?
    As more content is released playing with friends/boardsies will become a much bigger part of the game

Maybe one could be created in PC Gamimg forum,so as not to have two threads about Star Citizen in the games forum?

Personally i dont see the point of the Star Citizen thread being in the games forum,surely PC gaming would be a better fit. Just my 2 cents anyway. What do others think?

How do we get a thread moved to the correct forum? Just as simple as PMing a mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Report the first post of the thread and suggest moving the thread.

As for user names, it may annoy the mods but if they were ok with the idea, it could be possible to have a list of usernames in the first post and every time someone wants to be added to the list, then a mod could edit the first post and add them. But, as I said, it's going to be a bit annoying for the mods to have to do this every time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If you want to create one a names thread/move the existing one to Pc Gaming, i'm happy to add usernames to the first post whenever they are added.

humanji wrote: »
    Report the first post of the thread and suggest moving the thread.

No joy, apparently. Is it considered bad form to PM a mod about it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Vanguard heavy bomber/ deep fighter is for concept sale.

250......heavy price tag.

No dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Will they not just focus on the game now that they have 70 odd million raised instead of perioidic over priced ship sales. Only thing that puts me off backing.

Going to add some money to PayPal later and try get the avenger, no way I'd pay over retail game price for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I want to know what the 'escape module' is like on the Vanguard. I like a good escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Lukker- wrote: »
    Will they not just focus on the game now that they have 70 odd million raised instead of perioidic over priced ship sales. Only thing that puts me off backing.

I would be so excited about this game were it not for this bizarre, cult-like, hard-sell cash farming process that they seemed obsessed with.

It's hard to blame them though, they've hit an incredible cash cow. They've created an absurdly high profit-margin product and marketing eco-system; they just design a new ship inside a computer and 'sell' it for hundreds of dollars to thousands of customers. That money is pouring straight into the company coffers and their salaries, who could resist? Release a new cruiser variant: send your kids to Disneyland.

This whole kickstarter/pre-purchase bubble has to burst some day, consumers won't keep pouring money into something for the promise of a song indefinitely.
    Lukker- wrote: »

This is amazing.

Zillah wrote: »
    This whole kickstarter/pre-purchase bubble has to burst some day, consumers won't keep pouring money into something for the promise of a song indefinitely.

Star Citizen is both one of the best and worst examples of a kickstarter/crowdfunded games for me. Best in that this kind of game would never have happened without it and it looks amazing, but worst in the way it's gone since it was funded.

As a massive space sim fan, I should be drooling for more details on it, but i just can't get behind the focus they have on selling ships for real money. If this were EA or Ubisoft, people would lose their ****. They actually release ships on a regular basis, and charge €250 for them...that's utterly insane.

But i suppose as long as people are willing to spend the money, they'll keep doing it.

In fairness though, the plan that's been made clear from the start is that the money that doesn't go into development of the game before release goes into the continued development of the game after release, as they weren't planning to release paid expansions and won't have subscriptions. This could change, but at the moment them selling things that they openly tell you you don't need to buy and can get in the game for free isn't really a valid stick to beat them with.

I do look forward to seeing people losing their €250+ ships once the game goes live :P

I'm assuming there's no respawning ships (i.e. Star Trek Online style), but more of an insurance type system (i.e. Eve Online)?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

humanji wrote: »
    In fairness though, the plan that's been made clear from the start is that the money that doesn't go into development of the game before release goes into the continued development of the game after release

A lot of things can fit under the umbrella of "development" though, including salaries and shares.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote:
    I do look forward to seeing people losing their €250+ ships once the game goes live

I'm assuming there's no respawning ships (i.e. Star Trek Online style), but more of an insurance type system (i.e. Eve Online)?
    Yeah, that's going to be f-ing hilarious, especially when people who pay for the base game team up a rob one of the carriers worth a grand or so! :D

I also think there'll be a fair be of fraud happening in it too, with you being able to rent your ship to other players. I think they've decided not to ban those other players making off with your ship and instead they get a bounty on their heads.

That's probably the main reason why I really want this to succeed (other than living out my Han Solo/Mal Reynolds fantasies), ie to see how people take to the rules laid out for them and learn to manipulate them for better or worse. I don't play Eve, but I always loved how people were able to grift their way through it.

Advertisement