Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Zillah wrote: »
    A lot of things can fit under the umbrella of "development" though, including salaries and shares.
    They're hardly going to work for free. And paying more often gets those who are better qualified. There's no real reason to claim they're hoarding the money for themselves, with no evidence. They may be, or they may not be. No reason to claim either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

humanji wrote: »
    That's probably the main reason why I really want this to succeed (other than living out my Han Solo/Mal Reynolds fantasies), ie to see how people take to the rules laid out for them and learn to manipulate them for better or worse. I don't play Eve, but I always loved how people were able to grift their way through it.

I really hope they let things just happen, as long as there is no actual exploits used. Eve is amazing for that kind of thing, with genuine corporate espionage taking place on a regular basis. Want to steal that ship? Go right ahead :P Devs basically give players free reign, and let them do what they want (within the existing rules).

Would be a serious shame if they stopped people from stealing ships or tricking people into bad situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

humanji wrote: »
    They're hardly going to work for free. And paying more often gets those who are better qualified. There's no real reason to claim they're hoarding the money for themselves, with no evidence. They may be, or they may not be. No reason to claim either.

It's about incentive, though. When you put a person in a position where they can milk a productive cash cow straight into their pockets at the expense of other things then you're just asking for them to screw you over.

I'm not saying that is the case, but the situation as it is - and the behaviour we've seen from them so far - has me a little concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

It's been stated by CR and a number of sources they think eventually they'll get to 100 million in crowdfunding. Only 23 left to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Doesn't seem to be much difference in handling yet, some ships are meant to be half the mass of others and they seem to perform the same as heavier similarly stat wise ship.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

On the one hand, in their defense, they have been delivering on a lot of their promises. Often a bit late, but usually because they have delivered more than originally planned. And they seem to be using at least some of the extra cash to expand the scope of the game and improve it.

On the other hand, it does seem increasingly like a 'pay to win game'. It seems like a large proportion of players will have high powered ships right from the start. They have talked a lot about there being safer areas of space, and more dangerous areas where the rewards are higher, which could balance it out and let people with lower end ships build their way up, but that might nit be effective either

stevenmu wrote: »
    On the one hand, in their defense, they have been delivering on a lot of their promises. Often a bit late, but usually because they have delivered more than originally planned. And they seem to be using at least some of the extra cash to expand the scope of the game and improve it.

On the other hand, it does seem increasingly like a 'pay to win game'. It seems like a large proportion of players will have high powered ships right from the start. They have talked a lot about there being safer areas of space, and more dangerous areas where the rewards are higher, which could balance it out and let people with lower end ships build their way up, but that might nit be effective either

Usually like to see those stats from games where they tell us the most use weapons, average life, and % who completed such and such , would like to see what % of accounts own what ships and break downs of those who own multiples.

From the sound of it the majority of accounts only have the lower end starter ships, and there'll be the people who buy the game at releases and in the future.

Kiith wrote: »
    I do look forward to seeing people losing their €250+ ships once the game goes live :P

I'm assuming there's no respawning ships (i.e. Star Trek Online style), but more of an insurance type system (i.e. Eve Online)?

Not going to be that much of an issue when people start with months of insurance with the pledge ships.

Hopefully you can still buy it after release, might not be able play enough to fund the insurance if I'm away for too long. Even getting a few days to safely earn a month in game.

Final bought Something, give it an install during long weekend.

Don't have the areana but might get that later, and looking forward to the modular stuff now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Blaithik

No matter how detailed the game is, I'm not willing to spend hundreds of euros on a virtual spaceship for a game which hasn't yet been released.
    TL;DR: Nope, not backing it, I think it's a bit silly.

• Advertisement

Blaithik wrote: »
    No matter how detailed the game is, I'm not willing to spend hundreds of euros on a virtual spaceship for a game which hasn't yet been released.

And you are of course in no way obliged to. I think this is the big disconnect for a lot of people who think we are being forced to back the game. We aren't. No gun pointed to heads etc.

When I back pre-200k backers it was a big deal and there was barely any installer let alone flight simulator arena commander to speak of. I got the ship(s) I wanted to play at the start in the PU and I'm happy to now read and participate in the goings on in the development process.

My advice to anyone not sure is don't spend any money on the game, at the moment. Wait for the full game and start from scratch, I am very sure that experience will be really fun also like all MMOs I just wanted a little head start on things for the beta and PU stage due to amount of time I know I could dedicate to the game what with work, family and social responsibilities.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Sometimes i wonder does anybody even read the thread:(

There is no need to spend hundreds on a ship to get access to the game. I spent just over €30 and i have access to development phase and a copy of the game on release. I just got a fairly basic aurora package,the aurora just being one of the most basic ships.

Seen the one Irish clan/corporation/guild is there a boards one yet.

Anyone know where to get a thrustmaster t flight around Dublin or where's cheapest online

Varik wrote: »
    Seen the one Irish clan/corporation/guild is there a boards one yet.

Link?

R0ot wrote: »
    Link?

On my phone so can't now, I just searched Ireland on the site and something along the lines of star citizen Ireland came up, only 2 lads in it.

Just wondering if any planned or has made on for boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Blaithik

R0ot wrote: »
    And you are of course in no way obliged to. I think this is the big disconnect for a lot of people who think we are being forced to back the game. We aren't. No gun pointed to heads etc.

When I back pre-200k backers it was a big deal and there was barely any installer let alone flight simulator arena commander to speak of. I got the ship(s) I wanted to play at the start in the PU and I'm happy to now read and participate in the goings on in the development process.

My advice to anyone not sure is don't spend any money on the game, at the moment. Wait for the full game and start from scratch, I am very sure that experience will be really fun also like all MMOs I just wanted a little head start on things for the beta and PU stage due to amount of time I know I could dedicate to the game what with work, family and social responsibilities.

:D
    EoinHef wrote: »
    Sometimes i wonder does anybody even read the thread:(

There is no need to spend hundreds on a ship to get access to the game. I spent just over €30 and i have access to development phase and a copy of the game on release. I just got a fairly basic aurora package,the aurora just being one of the most basic ships.

Apologies to you two, I didn't mean any disrespect towards the game or people who backed it.
    It looks like a really cutting edge game, and I expect to see more amazing footage of it.
    I didn't read the whole thread (As, y'know, 47 pages) and so was slightly misinformed about the prices of ships and so on in the game.

Apologies to you two, I didn't mean any disrespect towards the game or people who backed it.
    It looks like a really cutting edge game, and I expect to see more amazing footage of it.
    I didn't read the whole thread (As, y'know, 47 pages) and so was slightly misinformed about the prices of ships and so on in the game.

The 2 cheapest ships are the starting ships, if you buy the game after release these will be some of the options to start with. So the lower priced options are really just the game, some extra stuff, and maybe some /all the beta or pre-release stuff.

Next few options just include better equipment or variations of those base ships.

Getting in at a low level gets you a cheap game that's looking to be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

On my phone so can't now, I just searched Ireland on the site and something along the lines of star citizen Ireland came up, only 2 lads in it.

Just wondering if any planned or has made on for boards.

Think The_Valeyard said he/she set one up?? Or was certainly going to.

I wasnt havin a go at you man,just wanted to point out that its not that expensive to get access to the game if people want.

I may have come across as a bit narky there,its just a comment we see fairly regular in here. And just wanted to point out its not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Dair76 wrote: »
    Think The_Valeyard said he/she set one up?? Or was certainly going to.

I had set it up, but no one seemed interested. So I let it go. When we get closer to release we call all have a chat about it and decide what to do.

Thrustmaster t flight or is the saitek 52 worth the extra extra, the anything between those I should look at at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Thrustmaster t flight or is the saitek 52 worth the extra extra, the anything between those I should look at at.
    I have the t flight X for elite, love it lots of buttons feels good, a little light but expected for the price. Really tempted by the x-55 rhino for 144 stg on amazon(think its like 180 from european game sites) but cant justify that right now

Anyone seen a Thrustmaster t flight for sale in any shops anywhere, rather pick it up this weekend rather than waiting.

T flight Hotas X?

If thats the one maplins have it,be about €60 though. Have it myself for Elite and this,ive no complaints really. The wire that goes between throttle and stick could be a little longer for large keyboards but thats about my only issue with it.

After playing some, I think I'm going to have to spend a lot of time in the any training they've got in squadron 42.

Might be easier with a stick when I'm not fumbling for key.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

Linus done a x55 and warthog review recently, i'm going to wait for the logitech (probably)/star citizen and see what its like first.

SUPERKush wrote: »
    whens this coming out

32/13/2015

Hull ships went on sale today....

SumEv7h.png

• Advertisement

Hull ships look cool, probably the most efficient form of transport but I hope there's another line with internal storage as well.

Advertisement