Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Thargor wrote: »
    Any links? Stuck down at parents on rural broadband so not a hope of watching that vid...

https://i.imgur.com/cpqfPMJ.png

http://i.imgur.com/V7wzX52.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wow, saw that on Reddit but thought it was just a fan concept, very nice looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Did one of you already have the Retaliator, any thoughts on the new modules.

Varik wrote: »
    Did one of you already have the Retaliator, any thoughts on the new modules.

I have it, I'm not sure what the default module is with the original LTI one so I asked Concierge for clarification. I like the modules (I'm hoping Thunderbird 2 style for the changes :D ) but will see what they are like when released, won't be buying early.

• Advertisement

R0ot wrote: »
    I have it, I'm not sure what the default module is with the original LTI one so I asked Concierge for clarification. I like the modules (I'm hoping Thunderbird 2 style for the changes :D ) but will see what they are like when released, won't be buying early.

It's the 2 torpedo bays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Not sure why anyone would want extra crew quarters for the retaliator, it's not exactly a comfy ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is a re-download required with the new launcher? The file path changed so I went with a clean install but just wondering if I wasted 20mins of bandwidth.

ED E wrote: »
    Is a re-download required with the new launcher? The file path changed so I went with a clean install but just wondering if I wasted 20mins of bandwidth.

It's required alright. Pain in the ass, each time the update goes through the 25gbw

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Im impressed by their CDN at least. Solid 15MB/s the whole way through. Poor poor ADSL users though :pac:

• Advertisement

Im impressed by their CDN at least. Solid 15MB/s the whole way through. Poor poor ADSL users though :pac:

Yep, it's much better now.

Not during patch days, a few days after you are usually grand.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There's apparently a free trial of Arena Commander for anyone who hasn't tried it yet. Details below (stolen from Reddit). Just activated and installing it myself, and will give it a go tonight.
    Go to https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/gamescomflyfree2015[1] .

Choose Enlist Now to create a new account. You'll need an email address.

Once the account is created, enter GAMESCOM2015 into the coupon field and hit Apply Coupon.

You're now good to go with your new account and will have access to all flyable ships.

Yeah they did one for quakecon also, it's not a huge secret or anything but pass it around your friends :D

Gives me a chance to finally play it anyway. Was looking at buying it last night, and picking up a ship, but jesus christ the prices they are charging are insane. Don't think i can justify paying anything near that for it.

Hopefully once the game launches they remove the ships for cash shop all together, as it's a bull**** system to have in place.

Kiith wrote: »
    Gives me a chance to finally play it anyway. Was looking at buying it last night, and picking up a ship, but jesus christ the prices they are charging are insane. Don't think i can justify paying anything near that for it.

Hopefully once the game launches they remove the ships for cash shop all together, as it's a bull**** system to have in place.
    I think with €40 you can buy in

I agree on the prices aswell and yes they do say they are removing the opportunity to buy ships before launch

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I agree on the prices aswell and yes they do say they are removing the opportunity to buy ships before launch

That's good to hear. I'm really looking forward to the actual game, just haven't been the biggest fan of how they've gone about the funding in the last year or so. So many ships, at insane prices. I know it's so they can actually release a better game, it just doesn't sit too well with me.

The multi crew video from Gamecom was absolutely amazing though. If they can pull that off, fair play to them. I'll play it for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I wonder how the game will be if you're like me and haven't funded or bought any ships. Do you get a starting ship where everyone will laugh at you as you do the fetch-the-rocks missions or will you be doing planet-side missions until you can afford a space dingy. It'll be pretty intimidating playing low-end like that while clans of 100s of upper-class nerds have you splat on the windshield of their capital ships.

I also wonder what is the actual time and grinding you'll have to do to go from sucking D behind dumpsters in the city to flying the biggest most expensive ships. I'd say anyone who gets decently into the game even if they never funded will eventually be in a clan (or whatever) and have access to a ship someone bought for real €€€ or via gaining in-game by using said €€€ ships.

That's good to hear. I'm really looking forward to the actual game, just haven't been the biggest fan of how they've gone about the funding in the last year or so. So many ships, at insane prices. I know it's so they can actually release a better game, it just doesn't sit too well with me.

The multi crew video from Gamecom was absolutely amazing though. If they can pull that off, fair play to them. I'll play it for a long time.

The most popular seller is the 40 one that gets the game, and the ships these include are just the options people will have when they start the game normally.

Still hope you can buy insurance or top it up if you've got a paid ship. It'd terrible to lose something you've paid actual money for.

I wonder how the game will be if you're like me and haven't funded or bought any ships. Do you get a starting ship where everyone will laugh at you as you do the fetch-the-rocks missions or will you be doing planet-side missions until you can afford a space dingy. It'll be pretty intimidating playing low-end like that while clans of 100s of upper-class nerds have you splat on the windshield of their capital ships.

I also wonder what is the actual time and grinding you'll have to do to go from sucking D behind dumpsters in the city to flying the biggest most expensive ships. I'd say anyone who gets decently into the game even if they never funded will eventually be in a clan (or whatever) and have access to a ship someone bought for real €€€ or via gaining in-game by using said €€€ ships.

As its early in the game development I suppose nothing is concrete but I'm presuming the likes of the Aurora or Mustang will be the level of ship you start with. As for grinding for bigger ships, its something they've addressed saying that anything that earns money will be more interesting than a point and click and the time required to get bigger ships won't be months.

Also I have a different view point on the game in general, I love the idea of different types of play styles ( exploring,mining,pirate,smuggling,merc,trader etc) where you don't need to have the biggest guns/ships but its there if you want it.Buying the biggest/best ships now would take alot of the fun out of the game imo, like paying to unlock the guns in Battlefield at level 1. But I suppose CIG wanted to give the backers something to visualize for the support given or they just like the sounds of wallets hitting monitors :pac:

I've bought in on a basic package and upgraded to an Avenger for the dogfighting module (before REC system) and because I genuinely want to see the game succeed, its something me and my friends used to imagine when we were kids.

No one else seems to be doing anything with the same scope and I believe we need a game like this, the next one to set a higher standard and stop the yearly iterations of the same game

• Advertisement

When it's released they've mentioned that you'll be able to buy the normal FTP stuff like skins etc but also UEC (the in game currency) but you'll be limit to how much you can buy a day.

The one thing I like about that is it minimizes the gold selling opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    As its early in the game development I suppose nothing is concrete but I'm presuming the likes of the Aurora or Mustang will be the level of ship you start with. As for grinding for bigger ships, its something they've addressed saying that anything that earns money will be more interesting than a point and click and the time required to get bigger ships won't be months.

Also I have a different view point on the game in general, I love the idea of different types of play styles ( exploring,mining,pirate,smuggling,merc,trader etc) where you don't need to have the biggest guns/ships but its there if you want it.Buying the biggest/best ships now would take alot of the fun out of the game imo, like paying to unlock the guns in Battlefield at level 1. But I suppose CIG wanted to give the backers something to visualize for the support given or they just like the sounds of wallets hitting monitors :pac:

I've bought in on a basic package and upgraded to an Avenger for the dogfighting module (before REC system) and because I genuinely want to see the game succeed, its something me and my friends used to imagine when we were kids.

No one else seems to be doing anything with the same scope and I believe we need a game like this, the next one to set a higher standard and stop the yearly iterations of the same game

Have to say this post sums it up perfectly for me,its definitely a risk investing in early access,in my personal experience ive been burned a few times myself by it. But i hope the game we all want can be realised,wether star citizen will be that game i dont know but to me its pushing boundaries in the right direction. This type of project is what makes PC special to me,succeed or fail. Its simply not possible on console full stop to create what Star Citizen is looking to create.

In a time where the big publishers are unwilling to take risks there has to be a few people that are willing to take that risk and see if they can help create something unique.

Im unsure how it will all turn out at this point but im hopeful,and what ive got so far from the game ive enjoyed.

Ive only pledged at the base level,€30 for an aurora,and im no whale. But for that type of money im willing to take the risk in the hope that i get something in return that really pushes the boundaries of whats possible.

I may be naive but for €30 its worth the risk for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I'm an early backer but am completely fed up of having to download 30 Gigs everytime they do an update. I'm leaving this for another few months and fingers crossed it will have become a more stable patching process.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm an early backer but am completely fed up of having to download 30 Gigs everytime they do an update. I'm leaving this for another few months and fingers crossed it will have become a more stable patching process.

Bandwidth isn't free. When you're sending 30GB to tens of thousands of customers every couple of months you'd think they'd have an incentive towards limiting patch sizes.

They moved to a new patcher which necessitated the full download. Unfortunately **** happens where the full download is required again when they find issues or changes that require a full rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Andy Gravity

Built a new gaming pc this week with SC in mind (early i know) but it's the 1st time since I backed a couple years ago that it hasn't played like a powerpoint slideshow.

1st thing that came to mind..this aint gonna work using kb and mouse :)

Is the gameplay more enjoyable and is it easier to control when using a flight stick?

Built a new gaming pc this week with SC in mind (early i know) but it's the 1st time since I backed a couple years ago that it hasn't played like a powerpoint slideshow.

1st thing that came to mind..this aint gonna work using kb and mouse :)

Is the gameplay more enjoyable and is it easier to control when using a flight stick?

There are a lot of arguments from both sides. I've seen most of the long time folks always do well with the HOTAS setup and most of the streamers swear by them. The KB+M however seems to be the best for new folks that want to actually be able to do anything.

I'm still on the Xbox controller though :pac:

I find it grand with mouse and keyboard.

Check your emails.....

Social module has dropped for 2000 people to test it.

• Advertisement

Social Module now released

Ark Corp, area 18.

Advertisement