Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Really like the vanguard, not enough to buy it but that's what I'm working towards once the game is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I find it grand with mouse and keyboard.

I really like it myself, but them prices are obscene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Anyone tried Arc Corp Area 18 yet?

It's pretty cool, only 1/3 of eventual size.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Haven't had a chance yet. I tried before, but it just timed out for me.

humanji wrote: »
    Haven't had a chance yet. I tried before, but it just timed out for me.

Its all fixed. Give it a go when free time allows ;)

• Advertisement

Sadly free time won't be available until next week, so I'll have to wait. :) How many are able to be in the area at the one time?

humanji wrote: »
    Sadly free time won't be available until next week, so I'll have to wait. :) How many are able to be in the area at the one time?

Thinks it's either 40-50 in a map

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Decided to check in on this again,been awhile since ive looked at it.

30GB download is a problem,not my end,on 100mb upc line but its only hovering around 1mb/s which will take awhile.

This normal or have i caught them at a bad time?

I remember downloads being a lot faster,if it doesnt get much faster im gonna leave it for tonight and play something else and download this when i have a bit more time. Interested to see planetside though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

EoinHef wrote: »

30GB download is a problem,not my end,on 100mb upc line but its only hovering around 1mb/s which will take awhile.

I remember downloads being a lot faster,if it doesnt get much faster im gonna leave it for tonight and play something else and download this when i have a bit more time. Interested to see planetside though

Just updated and was running at around 7mb/s on eircom's fiber in Donegal. I've had issues around patch days but that's it. There is a setting for bandwidth in the client Gear Icon > Download Limit and P2P Also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

EoinHef wrote: »

Bad time I'd say, normally it uses all my connection (60 Mbps)

• Advertisement

R0ot wrote: »
    Just updated and was running at around 7mb/s on eircom's fiber in Donegal. I've had issues around patch days but that's it. There is a setting for bandwidth in the client Gear Icon > Download Limit and P2P Also.

Have it set to "hyperspeed",didnt see an option for enabling p2p so ill have a look for that later. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

cadete wrote: »

Chris Roberts posted a full reply on the rsi forums ( the edited article above seems to be wrote to show the replies in worst light) and it also appears her informants info were taken from a website, thread on reedit about it.

Seems like it's all revolving around a guy called Derek smart

either way it's not good press and Chris's reply could have been a little better imo

Yep, not sure what to make of it all. Escapist are standing by their article, but few are questioning their sources and material.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Something in forbes now about a threat of legal action. Will the Escapist just be shut down like the News of the World?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2015/10/04/star-citizen-developer-threatens-lawsuit-against-the-escapist-demands-apology-and-retraction/

Interesting timing, with CitizenCon only two days away.

Anybody else having trouble with thia launching on Win 7?

Seemingly a bug with some process and unreal 4 but ive tried the official fixes and no joy,just hangs on the launch screen

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Noblong wrote: »
    Something in forbes now about a threat of legal action. Will the Escapist just be shut down like the News of the World?
    Interesting timing, with CitizenCon only two days away.

The Forbes article "Everybody Needs To Calm Down About Star Citizen" (sorry, can't post links yet) mirrors my own feelings on this and I think is worth a read. TL;DR:
    "It’s fine to investigate and speculate and all the rest, but until we have a game or a failed game on our hands, we don’t have a lot to go on, no matter how many disgruntled employees come forward as sources, and no matter how many times CIG refutes and denies accusations."

What is sticking in my craw is Derek Smart's involvement in this. I've sullied two hard drives with his creations over the last 20 years and read far too much of his previous online waffle. Considering the state of his current game, which I'm not gonna highlight here (enough to say it's in development since 2010 and still in Early Access on Steam to "Very Negative" reviews) it's definitly a case of "people in glass houses...".

Yeah, Derek Smart is really at war with Chris Roberts over this game.

Although if Star Citizen collapses, then Chris Roberts reputation would be permanently destroyed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Explosions galore! Looks absolutely amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Yeah, Derek Smart is really at war with Chris Roberts over this game.

Although if Star Citizen collapses, then Chris Roberts reputation would be permanently destroyed.

Chris Roberts reputation is no gamble though considering he's overseen and stuck with big artisic projects before.
    The only reputaion I might feel sorry for going down the pot is that munchkin reporter at the Escapist who might regret this later if going for similar positions down the road.

Noblong wrote: »
    Chris Roberts reputation is no gamble though considering he's overseen and stuck with big artisic projects before.
    The only reputaion I might feel sorry for going down the pot is that munchkin reporter at the Escapist who might regret this later if going for similar positions down the road.

Except for the Wing Commander Movie, that sucked.

That journalist might be in serious trouble, since she claimed that she has seen id work badges as proof, yet cig dont use them? Whole thing is bizzare. Could be biggest scandal of gaming 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

Whole thing is bizzare. Could be biggest scandal of gaming 2015

Ah sure look, we needed something scandalous going on since Gamergate's kind of blown over.

While the above is awesome ( mark strong too :eek: ) I think at this stage the start of PU should be out. I don't mind waiting but keeping to dates ( or speculative dates ) would help

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Cyclonius

Lots of new content and information given out in the live stream/at CitizenCon. I have to say I was very impressed by what was shown, both of Star Citizen, and especially Squadron 42; I'm now much more psyched for Squadron 42 than I previously was. Most of the new content shown in the show has also now been uploaded to the Star Citizen youtube channel for anyone who missed it:

Squadron 42 cinematic trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EC4WHPxnrk
    New story trailer/teaser starring a digital Gary Oldman.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0: Press Demo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrpeLpQWzTk

Star Citizen: The Story so Far:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEH2GpV8Ua4

Star Citizen - Star Map:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eAD0liNeis
    Demonstrates the new navigation system that Star Citizen will use for travel between the various star systems. Looks very cool.

Star Citizen Referral Program
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpw0Hi9AfmE
    Outlines the new referral programme mentioned above, detailing what both referrers and referees get. Incidentally, my own referral code is STAR-DVXX-54DS ;).

Squadron 42: Facial Animation Technology:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1eLecTsTSw
    Mini-documentary about the facial animation tech the game uses, demonstrated in the new cinematic trailer/teaser starring Gary Oldman.

Squadron 42: Behind the Scenes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4oOL26Qn7U
    Mini-documentary showcasing the motion and facial capture process that Gary Oldman, Mark Hamill, Gillian Anderson, Liam Cunningham, Andy Serkis, and the rest of the case went through.

Squadron 42 - Gary Oldman Interview:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTuhr_vzTEE

Main thing missing at the moment from youtube is the Morrow tour, as I think it was called, where you're shown around the UEES Stanton by the (Irish) Chief Engineer Morrow, after you come aboard. It reminded me a lot of the early stages of Half Life 2, where you're being shown around the lab (and later Black Mesa East) by Alyx Vance. Again, very impressed. There were a number of bugs (one related to pop-in hair styles and another to a character clipping through your guide, and then a doorway), which is probably why it isn't there yet, but it was very cool nonetheless.

I may have wee'd a little on reading the cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Keggers2 wrote: »
    Ah sure look, we needed something scandalous going on since Gamergate's kind of blown over.

I believe C.R actually suggested it was GG's fault.

And it's far from 'blown over'. I believe 'cyber violence' is an actual thing now thanks to anti-GG. Wooh. Just what we needed, more censorship. Just in case a fist comes out of your screen :pac:

Pretty cool stuff.

Cast is very impressive.

Dates for 2.0 and SM?...........

Love the Idris tour.

The interactive StarMap Ark is fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Was about to complain about the date but it's October 2015 now, so the game and death are ever approaching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Cyclonius

Two more videos uploaded to the Star Citizen youtube channel:

Squadron 42: The Morrow Tour (LIVE Version):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexLUpQJPw8
    They've uploaded the previously shown version of the Morrow Tour. It has a few bugs, but still looks very impressive.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0: LIVE Demo:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_zTVVG-WF4

Advertisement